steering wheel shakes

lauschie

gday guys,

my car's steering wheel sometimes shakes when i slow down and brake. What could cause this problem?? steering wheel doesnt stay straight when driving in a straight line on freeways at high speeds,tends to move to left a little bit. what could cause this problem??

all the best,

lauschie

gday guys,

my car's steering wheel sometimes shakes when i slow down and brake. What could cause this problem?? steering wheel doesnt stay straight when driving in a straight line on freeways at high speeds,tends to move to left a little bit. what could cause this problem??

all the best,

lauschie

I had the same problem. Rebalancing the wheel did bugger all. The damn thing still shook when i broke. Does your one shake more if you brake less? I found that ive i tapped the brake pedal slightly more the braking was less, and it disappeared as soon as i started accerating a bit.

It doesnt seem to happen so much now that ive changed the brake pads though. So maybe its a sign to change them? How much brake pads you got left?

As for the staying straight, wheel alignment. Ive read somewhere that being a FWD, only the front wheels need to be done, aligning the back isnt necessary unless you've hit something hard.

Edited by neK

gday guys,

all the best,

lauschie

hi lauschie

the shaking you are refering to is brake shutter and is caused by your brake disc's being slightly warpped (the surface of the disc is not flat), they will need to be machined if you want the shaking to go away, i suggest you get your disc's machined when you get new brakes put in.

and in terms of your steering wheel not being straight when driving, the roads are slopping to the left slighty to enable water to run to the kerb drains when it rains and so forth so that would be why it slops to the left, if you really are concern about it and think it's not the road you can get a wheel alignment.

• 3 weeks later...

had a similar problem too, ended up being that the rear subframe was incorrectly installed by toyota by 6mm... no wheel alignment could fix that!

also believe one of the shocks is on the way out already, 20000kms, toyota dont want to know about it

Also there is not enough adjustment sometimes from factory (camber/castor), lucky whiteline make a kit for it... just waiting for the waranty to expire

Edited by unfamilia

I wouldn't bother waiting for warrenty to expire to get camber bolts, sounds like they already don't want to honour it. Try another dealership, or swaping rims with someone at a meet, then trying to claim warrenty on the shocks ;)

• 3 weeks later...

As for the steering wheel shaking while braking, traumatized was right, its been warped. I have the same problem, need to go to the work shop and get it like grined to make it straight sorta thing...