Xoom's Turbo 2ZZ Sportivo

xoom

with the 2871 what rpm are u on full boost?

Full boost is really dependant on what max boost u want to run to. For low my full boost is 15psi & it lands that at around 3300-3500 and for high my full boost is 23psi & it lands that at around 4100-4300

and why no equal length manifold??

No room available for this luxury & need to get the air out of there ASAP.

my car is apart at the moment waiting for all my new bits to be put in and i have the IHI equivalent of your turbo (VF23, 0.64 front, 0.71 rear, ball bearing). i expect to come on full boost by 4 hopefully just wondering where yours comes on?

answered above however as i am not familiar with the IHI turbo's are you sure its like the 2871 given did you know there are 5 variants of the 2871 .... none have the same details as the one you mentioned. Do you have the compressor map for the IHI ? that would help in comparing the differences. Mine is 0.86 turbine, 0.6 compressor with 56 trim. This is the largest of the 2871 group.

your car isnt as much as a problem as my car as u can rev to 8500 odd. my redline is 6500 (going to be raised to 7200) and the car is 1.5L.

yeah the 2zz flows a lot of air due to the head design and its ability to rev .... when we were tuning it we found its air flow was higher than an SR20 was able to flow ..... & actually ive taken mine out to 9000rpms before but yeah choose not run it daily that way as it isnt needed really. Have it limited to 8500. I just wonder if the 1.5L will flow enough to push that turbo along if its as big as the 2871 ....... it also really depends on what amount of boost you are planning on running.

are u running internal gate still?

yep im still using the internal gate.

also what size injectors are you running and what pump?

im currently running 630cc but have the 800's sitting on the shelf to go in as soon as i have time to do it and take it to the tuners. The 630's are at the limit. If you look back through the thread im actually running a surge tank now. So the in tank pump isnt doing any hard work. The surge setup is feeding the rail using a bosch 044 which is good for ridiculous amounts of power.

Not sure if this would be the exact reasoning Rowan, but from looking at Bill's engine bay, space is an issue, not to mention i would think its to get the gasses the hell outta there as quick as possible, which ever way possible, but i could be entirely wrong too.

No you are right

Space is the main issue, it's very difficult to get an equal length manifold in a RHD ZZE with the steering/mount/shift cables/driveshaft all in the way. Even with a custom manifold it's hard enough to make one with a normal merge-collector.

Agreed

Post my overall experience with this car yesterday...

Nice review

Boost was amazing. The pull and g force makes my car feel like a slug (yes i hit lift afterwards down motorway/freeway) and lift with boost? Four words: omfg u have to sit in the car to know what i mean. Shifting to 2nd and hitting lift again? Revs faster than mine in 1st gear lift lol

LOL .... i have tried to explain it to ppl that its like having 3 cam profiles ..... but u now know what its like ...... hopefully your review will convince more ppl to force feed their stivo's

So tell me Duy are you convinced that you'd love to do it ;) ;) ;)

After all that, before we parted ways he said

"hey mate, just to let u know that wasn't full boost..."

I just looked at him like this 0_0;;

Yeah when the road isnt wet & its not raining then we might have pulled high boost out ..... otherwise it would have been ridiculous.

It was insane. Absolutely stoked to be able to see this in the flesh.

One thing mate:

Paint that damn grill and side indicators to match your car LOL :lol:

Glad to see you enjoyed yourself Duy ..... and h.e.l.l. no thats the unique kebab affect ;)

i have the IHI equivalent of your turbo (VF23, 0.64 front, 0.71 rear, ball bearing)

I thought I told you to get the GT35?

LOL his car boosts late enough already...

mick - 2.5k isnt late mate. good luck trying to make top end power if you want boost to come on any earlier than that.

bill - ok sweet i am running 600cc injectors and a walbro 255 l/hr. should be heaps enough to feed the 1.5.

and was there a reason why no external gate plumbed in?

it should hopefully be enough a few guys overseas fun simmilar in theres and it comes on about 4.2k but they run 20+psi. im only running a bar.

and no no flow map for them. i new of 2 variations of the 2871 but not the one you listed that seems very big turbine wheel

do you run any boost controller at all or all is controlled by PFC

thanks for the help anyway

Edited by ELEGNT

mick - 2.5k isnt late mate. good luck trying to make top end power if you want boost to come on any earlier than that.

You don't boost at 2.5k :P moar like 4k.

and besides, im just jealous that you are gonna be faster :(

You don't boost at 2.5k :P moar like 4k.

and besides, im just jealous that you are gonna be faster :(

its all up to the tune man, probly get 120kw atw cos noone can tune it good

bill - ok sweet i am running 600cc injectors and a walbro 255 l/hr. should be heaps enough to feed the 1.5.

I'd say so .... i've got the bosch 044 feeding the line & the 630CC's in but yeah as i said they are on their way out for 800's when i get a change to do it. They are just looking pretty in their box at the moment in my garage .... lol

and was there a reason why no external gate plumbed in?

Sorry forgot to answer that question for you .... basically being that i have a cast iron manifold that was built without the intention of an external gate meant that i would need to stick with the 2871's internal gate. An external wastegate requires a dedicated runner off the manifold which wasnt going to happen since mine wasnt a weld job.

and no no flow map for them. i new of 2 variations of the 2871 but not the one you listed that seems very big turbine wheel

to bad .... i would have liked to have done the comparison with the 2871 ..... yeah i figured as much because i wouldnt think it would be wise to run my setup on a 1.5L .... it simply wouldnt flow enough air to get the thing moving .... the variant i have is what S15's upgrade to .... interesting thing we found is the 2zz flows better than the SR20 ;) which meant we were tempted to go up a notch on the turbine selection but that would have meant a whole new manifold and to be honest at the time i CBF'ed for it .... lol

do you run any boost controller at all or all is controlled by PFC

not all PFC's support the boost controller option ..... only those cars that came from factory with a turbo have had the PFC built with the added ability from what i have seen. So ive had to go with a Greddy Profec B spec II to do the job.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice meeting yah today mate. Car sounds like a beauty!!!

I felt embarrased driving my stock around yours haha take care.

Cya round

Zain

r u serious? i can fart faster than xoom's snail LOL jokes :toast::spiteful::whistling:

Cya round

Zain

r u serious? i can fart faster than xoom's snail LOL jokes :toast::spiteful::whistling:

Haha i was also able to spot it by the unique grill :P

loving it mate! :toast:

• 2 weeks later...

Cya round

Zain

Likewise Zain ..... hopefully spot u around ...... nah man its all good ...... everyone mods and drives their cars to watever their limits are so its all good.

now now duy ..... im still cleaning the skid marks u left in the passenger seat when i took u for a spin a few weeks back ....... lucky its leather and lucky i didnt give u a dose of high boost otherwise it would have been a pain to clean up :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 4 months later...

Read the whole topic Got to say, lol this car is an inspiration to mine and im currently doing a N/A with work but this topic wants me to go turbo sick ***** car bill keep going with it you dont find many sportivos out there that will be hammering anything that comes next to it. BTW i like the grill being a diffrent colour! :toast:

• 3 weeks later...

Read the whole topic Got to say, lol this car is an inspiration to mine and im currently doing a N/A with work but this topic wants me to go turbo sick ***** car bill keep going with it you dont find many sportivos out there that will be hammering anything that comes next to it. BTW i like the grill being a diffrent colour! :toast:

thx mate ..... u knw u wanna do it ;) ;) ;) ;)

yeah i was gonna get it sprayed but i got busy and then it just grew on me :lol: :lol:

• 4 months later...

Billy boy!

How things mate? The stivo still screaming?

im good pete .... how u been man ? yeah man the rolla is still rocking on ..... how about u .... hows the ford treating u ?

as an update on the car i really need to get the tune touched up ....... maybe drop the 800cc inj i got sitting on the shelf ..... man where does the time go ...... have had any to spare it on the car to be honest.

if/when i get the injectors dropped in will put up an update.

4 months and he replies :P he could have been dead bill! :ninja:

do u still have stock injectors inside??? :blink:

lol ...... pete is all good .... lol ...... nah mate im currently running 630's but they have been @ the limit since day 1 .... thats why i ordered the 800's ages ago but havent put them in just yet.