Don't under rate the Avalon - you'll be making a BIG mistake

avalon

I'll staple a badger to your car d_ice man. Dylan and I have tried this and it's a proven gain through wind resistance and also +1000 spiritual guidance to the driver. The badger is humble and wise. Follow the badger.

well i dunno... MAYBE they weren't gunning it... but wat i do know n i'm 100% sure of is i was ahead of them while we were doing 130km/h... whether he was just driving a lil behind me on purpose or he was really racing i dunno... but i'm just telling u wat happened... so please don't bag me i'm just telling u wat i saw

okaaay <_< relax ppl... they were just my 2c don't go and make a dolla bout it

yess 130 is illegal... so r many otha things in life :D love the badger :ph34r:

hes a ganster man, dun u remember?

wat's your problem with me man? y do u have to follow me around threads baggin, relax cuz

Just had a thought. Don't underrate the turbo quad cam V6 vienta that was in Canberra for a while. gold with a very expensive new gel kit on it. That thing was very very insane. The majority of the engine componentry was big label Jap brands. He spent too much money on it, BUT he wanted to and the end result was classic. Pimped out camry (that honestly looked the t!ts) and bloody decimated in a straight line.

well i dunno... MAYBE they weren't gunning it... but wat i do know n i'm 100% sure of is i was ahead of them while we were doing 130km/h... whether he was just driving a lil behind me on purpose or he was really racing i dunno... but i'm just telling u wat happened... so please don't bag me i'm just telling u wat i saw

They probably did hold back.

Anything over 130km and its an auto suspension isnt it?

I have a tendancy to follow cars, never be the leader... or the last car when speeding on highways :P . LOL

I'd be interested in how the Vienta goes against d_ice's "beast"

:)

It's still the Quad Cam V6 ay? Those things are highly underated. Were ahead of their time when they cam out as well. Ford and Holden were still using pushrods in their V motors at the time.

^

Yeah they are highly under-rated.... and mind you they severly tuned it down as well. A lightly modified Gen3 V6 actually has a record at wakefield park, its only 1sec behind a VT SS which has the advantage of RWD and a 5.7L V8 - http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/index.cfm?...111040823edoras (Look at the GT Production cars records)

The same era's Falcons had only 5kw more with 1L's more dissplacement (also weighed 100kg more) and the Commodore had 10kw less with nearly 1L's more dissplacement.... prity ordinary (Equivalent sized engines to the Camry in the Maxima and Sonata had even less, with the highest being only 120kw). And Commodores had pushrod until the turn of the century I believe while Camrys had DOHC back in the 80's... Holden are always abit behind, look at the new Omega as well, 4speed trans vs the Aurions 6speed.

I draw alot of connections between the Aurion and the Gen3 V6 Camry for their era's, apart from looks, they are similar...both for their time are the most powerful, both had technolgocically advanced engines (Aurion has dual vvti, the camry had ACIS -> variable intake among all other things), both were alot more refined then competition, both are underrated etc

Edited by aussie_camry

Now I know I keep raving on about this particular super vienta that was in canberra, but...seriously...it's insane what happens to those motors once they are essentially 'unlocked' or 'brought to life'...so I agree aussie_camry lol. It's also insane when Japanese engineering comes into play from the motherland and a turbo is strapped on to them :o

Whoever owns/owned this Vienta, I salute you. He/She stunned and envoked wrath upon many a person I'm sure lol.

• 13 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Just saw this thread it is old. I owned a vy commodore 2003 and that thing could move. Compared to my 09 Aurion i have to say the Aurion at full throttle blows v6 commodores away.

The commodores are rear wheel drive so they may be quicker off the mark at lights (not always the case) but at full throttle accel the Aurion wins hands down.

Ive "raced" many commodores down the m1 they keep up for a while, but when you plant your foot and that 2gr-fe kicks in full throttle it starts to pull away easily

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henstepper said:

when you plant your foot and that 2gr-fe kicks in full throttle it starts to pull away easily

I am sure that most Avalon or Camry V6 owners would have a similar experience particularly on the open highway.

I think that it is about having the right engine and transmission combination for your vehicle then keeping them both well maintained for optimum performance.

I have noticed how the auto transmission drops down a gear or 2 to keep the V6 on the upward path of the torque curve particularly when overtaking on the highway.

Anyway in my opinion it is a plus that the Avalon, Camry V6 and Aurion are under-rated. Quite happy for the Ford and Holden show off boys and now the hot hatch boys to get the attention and the speeding tickets.

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2022 at 7:38 AM, campbeam said:

I am sure that most Avalon or Camry V6 owners would have a similar experience particularly on the open highway.

I think that it is about having the right engine and transmission combination for your vehicle then keeping them both well maintained for optimum performance.

Exactly, the Avalon has a more aggressive timing tune vs the Camry so i've found from a mate of mine who's a tuner, even back in the day Toyota press paperwork spec that Avalon's have a better tune, even though they make more power & torque on paper, it's not just the tune, it's also peak timing allowed under WOT, transmission programming, 3.93 final drive isn't exactly freeway friendly but it pulls very f**king hard vs the common 3.08 final drives fitted to Commodores, 3.23 for Falcon's, etc. 

Many factors, having driven similar condition Camry & Avalon's, the Avalon higher output does show evident especially in the midrange where the Camry felt choked, but the Avalon's do have a variable backpressure muffler. Something kinda bespoke to'em. I have no issues losing traction even in the dry if i plant it too hard.

I run both my cars on 95RON minimum for comparison.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:38 AM, campbeam said:

I have noticed how the auto transmission drops down a gear or 2 to keep the V6 on the upward path of the torque curve particularly when overtaking on the highway.

I honestly found it sometimes semi annoying how it will willingly drop a gear with the slightest throttle input, when cruising at 80km/h. However if you want the full WOT kickdown, i find the A541E's very eager to deliever firmly & directly. Then again they are an adaptive auto so it's probably down to my drive style. I've stuck with Toyota Type IV spec fluid in mine & it's been great. 

Honestly at times the kickdown of my Avalon feels more aggressive/willing than my ZF 6HP in comparison. I have no issue leaving some commodore & falcons at a merger or set of lights. They're not speed based, but they definitely move if you want them to.

Edited by TommyM
  • Like 1