The most powerful pod filter

Grey-Rolla

In VIC it's ok to have a pod open in the engine bay provided it is dry not oiled. If it's oiled then it has to be enclosed.

So for example, Apexi Power Intake pod is ok, but K & N is a no no.

I recently posted all the VICRoads and EPA guidelines in the General Section, it's all there for the VIC people, sorry, but don't know where to look for other states :(

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Drift brand ones are dry :)

I got bored so I put it on my CAI about an hour ago... My car was already warm from driving today so I didn't get to hear the cold engine hiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...

Whilst it seemed similar if not the same in terms of power (compared to the old K&N that it replaced), it definitely made more noise - which is exactly what I like :D not only the accelleration noise above 4000RPM but also the "huff and puff" sort of noises when you apply the throttle or take your foot off to change gear.

$35.99 well spent

Dylan how bout you?

• 2 weeks later...

Blue stivo i have some friends in wollongong so its not the drive, im able to drive there

Have a go yourself dude.

It really isnt that hard. I used the instructions posted below and found it fun.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...p?showtopic=711

Also as Danz says " take your time be patient its not a race"

Edited by GAZOOM

The airbox? No you can't just put a pod filter in the airbox. We're talking about pod filters being used on long cold air intake systems or short ram air intake systems, pretty much a piece of pipe that has an adaptor for the Mass Air Flow sensor that draws air through a pod filter into the engine.

If you want a straight upgrade for your standard airbox search the forum for "Panel Filter". Manufacturers make high-flow panel filters to suit our cars, including K&N, ITG, BMC, A'pexi, Tom's etc...

The airbox? No you can't just put a pod filter in the airbox. We're talking about pod filters being used on long cold air intake systems or short ram air intake systems, pretty much a piece of pipe that has an adaptor for the Mass Air Flow sensor that draws air through a pod filter into the engine.

If you want a straight upgrade for your standard airbox search the forum for "Panel Filter". Manufacturers make high-flow panel filters to suit our cars, including K&N, ITG, BMC, A'pexi, Tom's etc...

:whistling: Right-o, gotcha. I wasn't paying enough attention.

thanks!

• 4 months later...
in the recent auto salon they did a test on 10 branded air filters too see which had the best filteration and flow.

the best air filter came out as the 3A air filter that cheap brand yellow one, which came first in air flow and filteration. k&n came 4th in flow but first in filteration. its upto you if you want the best filteration or flow. But this is only air filters not CAI's

Look what I found: 3A pod filter on eBay

Maybe another bang-for-buck run Dylan?

My DRiFT is still going strong :toast:

• 2 months later...

hey ppl if your looking for a good cold air intake get it from liverpool egsausts the owner has a sportivo and made one custom

he tyel and erorred a few on the dinode and put the best one for sale its a perfect fit and sounds crazy you just need to get a good filter for it...i payed $220 for mine

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The neck has a MAF hole in it so it can't just be shoved up another intake.

Perhaps you could just buy an Apexi pod filter with a 3" neck but I'm not sure if they sell them.

Pretty sure our CAI's are 2.75" remembering that we fit the pod using hose clamps.

That's Carlo's Apexi not mine, he's very happy with it as far as I know, I have a generic CAI and I love that too.

There's absolutely no point in buying both and using them in tandem because the Apexi comes as a short-ram kit so should only be used as short-ram, it would be a waste to hack it up just to attach to a CAI. You could probably buy a good pod filter for less than $100 anyway. Buying a TRD CAI plus the Apexi would cost you upwards of $600 when either one would do you fine.

I reckon choose either one and you will be happy. Buy both and use them seperately, sure. But trying to use them together would be a waste. Whats this hydro lock protector you were talking about earlier?

That's Carlo's Apexi not mine, he's very happy with it as far as I know, I have a generic CAI and I love that too.

There's absolutely no point in buying both and using them in tandem because the Apexi comes as a short-ram kit so should only be used as short-ram, it would be a waste to hack it up just to attach to a CAI. You could probably buy a good pod filter for less than $100 anyway. Buying a TRD CAI plus the Apexi would cost you upwards of $600 when either one would do you fine.

I reckon choose either one and you will be happy. Buy both and use them seperately, sure. But trying to use them together would be a waste. Whats this hydro lock protector you were talking about earlier?

yes i too would like to know..