Head unit problem

calvin

Hi,

one of the first things i did to my car was to take out the stock Head unit and to install my own head unit. However after installing this unit, i have found that there is a gap on either side of the head unit at about 10mm wide. I have put up with this gap for a while now however, recently i started getting annoyed because i could see the brackets etc. I went to strathfield to buy a bracket and i was told that this was a commone problem with toyota and to go to toyota parts to buy a bracket to clip on around the new head unit, thereby covering both gaps.

I was wondering two things, firstly, who here has had this problem and how did you fix it?

secondly, where can i buy toyota parts from? I live in Sydney BTW.

Thanks

secondly, where can i buy toyota parts from? I live in Sydney BTW.

From the dealer I would say. Im not being a smart a55 here, I think you can get most parts from the dealer where you got the car (or any dealer for that matter).

i thought so but i may have got a new guy at the dealer when i asked for it cos he said they dont have them...

Thanks for the help anyway

I was told the same thing around all of the metro Western Australian dealers, its a pin in the *****.

If push comes to shove then take it to a car stereo place and have them make something up for you, cost me $30 to have side brackets made up and fitted.

After much searching of the forum for 'spacers', 'head units', 'stereo' etc etc i evenmtually found the parts listed under 'butterflys'.

You can find them in this thread Audio Questions

But if you don't feel like reading the thread... the Toyota part numbers are:

86221-52050 LH Side

86221-52060 RH Side

Hope that helps!

I went to Ryde Toyota and enquired about the butterfly parts, Apperently they are $85 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could not believe it. I spoke to my dealer about it and he said that if i gave him my original head unit from toyta, he would swap me for the parts.

What a **** rip off. I think ill just get one of those metra kits

I went to Ryde Toyota and enquired about the butterfly parts, Apperently they are $85 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could not believe it. I spoke to my dealer about it and he said that if i gave him my original head unit from toyta, he would swap me for the parts.

What a **** rip off. I think ill just get one of those metra kits

HOLY ****! LOL 85 bucks each for bits of plastic?( i assume?) lol... and then he offers to buy your 6 stacker off you for them! LMAO! CLASSIC!

tivomatt good work on the search. sorry i do not know how to write this without sounding like a know it all but i got e-gene his blankings :(

use the invoice no. 146368 to get a special price of $13.65 each. should be able to use it australia wide.

Yup, those are the prices alright. $85 is a total rip off. Does he think that you are dumb or something? How could he quote you that for 2 bits of plastic? These guys can be such scams sometimes...

Thanks kcorro,

I thought that was excessive, and when i kept mouthing 85 bucks in disbelief he kept agreeing that it was expensive...

I will try and go to toyota parts directly this time instead of asking my dealer.

• 4 months later...

All ZZE corolla owners note...

single din adapter can be brought from REPCO. It has a neat pocket under radio, not quite an exact fit (slightly too big) but easily modded to suit.

Part is available from REPCO: fp998204 approx $55-$65

I got it for $45 trade discount.. A.E.

I have it fitted with alpine cda9815

also alpine type R 6 1/2 splits front

alpine type R 5 1/4 2 way

alpine type R 12 sub

alpine v12 4channel + 2channel amps uner front seats

• 11 months later...

hey guys.

can anybody tell me if these inserts will fit the 05 camry sportivo? i have replaced the stock hu with a single din hu and single din spacer but still have the gap either side. i have tried contacting my local toyota dealers and they have told me that they have no idea what im talking about. ive quoted these part numbers:

86221-52050 LH Side

86221-52060 RH Side

does anyone know of a melbourne dealer or car shop that stocks these? or have any they want to sell me?

any help would be great coz im going insane. thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
hey guys.

can anybody tell me if these inserts will fit the 05 camry sportivo? i have replaced the stock hu with a single din hu and single din spacer but still have the gap either side. i have tried contacting my local toyota dealers and they have told me that they have no idea what im talking about. ive quoted these part numbers:

86221-52050 LH Side

86221-52060 RH Side

does anyone know of a melbourne dealer or car shop that stocks these? or have any they want to sell me?

any help would be great coz im going insane. thanks.

Do the spacers just plug in the front or do you need to take the dash apart to put them on?

single din adapter can be brought from REPCO. It has a neat pocket under radio, not quite an exact fit (slightly too big) but easily modded to suit.

Part is available from REPCO: fp998204 approx $55-$65

I got it for $45 trade discount.. A.E.

not 100% sure but they should be around $10-$15 each depending on how much you can haggle with the sales guy.

E-Gene how much did you pay for the ones i put in your car?

C.

Just a note on these parts, last time I picked them up at (Peter) Warren Toyota (Warwick Farm, NSW)

Spacers were $7.50 each.

The DIN pocket was roughly $20, perfect fit for us Corolla owners. I'll have to look for the receipt again to double check the price.