Hiro's AE102

Hiro

Now, swap the clips over so you have an ADM clip on the JDM seats (remembering to thread the wiring for the ADM seat warning light through the frame again so it can connect to the body loom.

ADM clip on JDM seat

P1140377.jpg

Then, reverse the removal procedure to install the new seats back into the car, remembering to connect the seat-belt warning light on the driver's side.

Comparison shot between JDM (driver) and ADM (passenger, with Autobahn-spec seat cover)

P1140356.jpg

And the new all-JDM front (photo was an afterthought, so excuse the quality :P)

P1140382.jpg

• 1 month later...

Arrived in post today: Genuine factory-option AE101 Levin/FXGT Momo 4-spoke leather steering wheel....awesome

Some photos for the non-believers:

P1140467.jpg

P1140468.jpg

P1140469.jpg

P1140470.jpg

How it looks without the horn pad.....might consider this look for track-days etc

P1140471.jpg

Anyone got a TRD horn-button for a Momo wheel?

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

Preliminary front bar shots - still need to get it painted (I'm not one of those douches who drives around with mis-matched body panels) and get some indicators.

Despite the lack of foglights or the lip extension (which I really hoped I was getting, but they turned out to be window trims.....) it still looks better than stock, and who knows - maybe someday I'll find another FXGT being wrecked in Japan and I'll get the extras

P1140693.jpg

Old front bar off

P1140691.jpg

P1140692.jpg

Old v new

P1140697.jpg

New on

Sunlight angle wasn't conducive to front-on shots, might try for some better ones tomorrow

• 1 month later...

2 more pieces completed in the puzzle, only 2 remaining :D

P1140727.jpg

One fresh-out-of-the-mould Genuine Toyota Parts AE101 FXGT front spoiler extension

P1140731.jpg

Said Genuine Toyota Parts FXGT spoiler extension added to FXGT front bar

P1140733.jpg

1 Set of Genuine Toyota Parts FXGT front fog-lights

P1140734.jpg

P1140735.jpg

I swear it follows you around the room.....

You getting the bar painted soon ? :) should look real good once painted and on

Vetting quotes as we speak, currently looking to be around the $2-300 mark

Paint cost so much

There's a good hour or two worth of labour in there too remember, especially if they're colour-matching to the car, and with prep.

Think of it like a timing belt, which costs about the same, but the belt kit itself only costs like $50.

Paint cost so much

There's a good hour or two worth of labour in there too remember, especially if they're colour-matching to the car, and with prep.

Think of it like a timing belt, which costs about the same, but the belt kit itself only costs like $50.

true i forgot to factor that in

• 2 weeks later...

Damn Hiro im drooling over that front bar! Nice work. Ive add the clear side indicators to my rolla but ive been trying to get my hands on one myself for my ae102. Is it a simple swap over or is there any modifications need doing?

Damn Hiro im drooling over that front bar! Nice work. Ive add the clear side indicators to my rolla but ive been trying to get my hands on one myself for my ae102. Is it a simple swap over or is there any modifications need doing?

Nope, no modifications required whatsoever (assuming you use the FXGT brace too, not sure if the standard one fits both bars or not), direct bolt-on. That being said, I've only test-fitted it once, and didn't check if the splashguards lined up 100%, but I don't have them attached at the front anyway (well, the passengers side at least because I'm using it as a scoop for the pod filter)

• 6 months later...

Well, got my first profit-sharing bonus yesterday, so immediate plans are for a new set of wheels (17" Speedy Lite-5s) and for the front bar to finally get the coat of paint it deserves, closely followed by fitment to the car

Stay tuned

• 3 weeks later...

Photo108_small.jpg

P1150056.jpg

Still got to get tyres for them, so they won't be going on the car for a while, but the time was right for a change of wheels :D

• 1 month later...

So, after months, nay years of mucking around, dilly-dallying, time-wasting, putting it off, finding time, making excuses and general cocking about, my FXGT front bar is finally in the paintshop turning white

New wheels should be meeting new tyres in the next 2 weeks or so too, so finally some progress.....

I love every bit you've done to this rolla. Top job! Are you painting the spoiler extension too?

I love every bit you've done to this rolla. Top job! Are you painting the spoiler extension too?

Nah keeping it black, likely it'll get scuffed/dirty easily so no point it being white, plus I prefer the black lip look

Before

P1140691.jpg

P1140731.jpg

After :D

P1150129.jpg

Fitment to hopefully happen this weekend, missing a few bolts/screws here and there so going to have to track them down somehow, and I'll leave the foglights not hooked up for now, probably won't have time for that before the long weekend. Still, progress is progress :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, eventually got the ****s with the halos and decided it was time for some fresh eyes - there are only so many times you can re-wire burnt-out low beams before you run out of patience, ring terminals, and wire. Decided to go back to combined low/hi beams, really liked the look of the BZ Touring-style headlights but didn't want the hassle of re-wiring to suit the JDM layout (parkers in the main unit, side indicators where the ADM parkers sit, no guard repeaters).

Eventually just bit the bullet and bought some off eBay (copies, but decent quality by the looks of them), under the impression that I'd just run the clear side parkers from the halos until I could re-wire them as indicators....only to find out that the halo parkers wouldn't line up with the BZ main units. Bugger.....hang on, looks like my original OEM parkers do line up though :D Sure, I can slum it for a while, but it is better than nothing. This feeling was then made better by the fact that what I thought were amber lenses in the side indicators/parkers turned out to be crystal lenses with amber bulbs :D So I ripped out the amber bulbs and put in some clear ones, only to find out that the plug was different/bigger compared to the OEM parker plug....bugger.....hang on, they look similar to the OEM bumper indicator plugs....no, change that IDENTICAL to the OEM bumper plugs. So I put the OEM parkers back in for a few days until I could make it to the wreckers (this afternoon) to grab the front indicator loom and gut it for the plugs.

Which I did.

Unfortunately it got dark before I could take photos, but for the first time in probably 4 years I've got headlights that I can use with confidence at night and actually see things without resorting to the high beams (which were capable of killing low flying birds and possums at the top of power poles at the other end of the street). Parkers are now substantially stronger and better spread too (the benefit of going from a 5W T10 to 21W T20 bulb).

Managed to get some photos with just the main units in earlier in the week, I'll get some decent shots of the whole front end at Bathurst on Sunday. After that, all I need to do is paint my open-mouth OEM grille black (had to use the black slat OEM grille in the meantime, and I don't particularly care for the import grille that came with the lights), wire up the foglights, and my FX front end will be complete :D

2011-06-29082625.jpg