Hiro's AE102

Hiro

• 1 month later...

Had to go to work this morning so checked out the HEZ (Hunter Economic Zone) on the way home, it's an "abandoned" (never developed) industrial estate near Kurri Kurri, couple of nice straight roads and no thru-traffic, managed to grab a break in the weather too

DSC_0394_zpsffe26e5d.jpg

DSC_0396_zpsf005057b.jpg

DSC_0404_zpsaf2aff8a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Latest JayDeeEmm accessory:

20130324_182053_zps328d6f5d.jpg

20130324_182132_zpscd395870.jpg

Doesn't seem to have memory so if it was running before you turn the car off it doesn't turn back on automatically when you restart (apparently it has some kind of learning function so maybe it just needs time)

• 1 month later...

Latest mods, and probably final for a long time (not my photos)

ZZT231/RS200/IS200 pedals (only installed brake and clutch so far, accelerator requires a tiny bit of work, probably just buy a second pedal arm and do it outside the car)

pedals1.jpg

Keylight ring (pictured with additional downlighting, which I don't have)

IMG_3819-resized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Had some time to kill after Cara got admitted to hospital so went down to Newcastle Beach and the Ocean Baths to catch some afternoon shadow (makes photos of water sooo much easier when you're not fighting glare)

DSC_0036_zps8af5e0d3.jpg

DSC_0035_zps2e61410b.jpg

DSC_0030_zps74718a47.jpg

DSC_0029_zps474be1a0.jpg

DSC_0022_zps3f5c519b.jpg

And some scenic shots whilst I was there too

DSC_0110_zps40b24d86.jpg

DSC_0046_zpsedff8ffe.jpg

DSC_0109_zps4af6aac9.jpg
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
So after 380,000km, one of the many original factory-fitted components has finally died. The mushiness and butt-load of freeplay in the clutch pedal turned out to be a master cylinder missing most of its seals (yet still not leaking) and filled with more sludge than Hexham Swamp. $300 later, and the difference is night-and-day, with a clutch that disengages within the first 50mm of travel rather than the last 10mm - so much so that it has taken quite a bit of getting used to, with the clutch picking up so high that it feels like you're still in neutral when pulling away.

Still, the clutch isn't slipping under power (what little power there is) and passes the old 4th-gear+handbrake test, so I should be able to coax it to 400,000km before it actually needs attention...
  • Like 1

Wow...that's crazy, nearly 400,000km and it hasn't even started to slip yet!

Btw, what camera and lense are you using??

It can be made to slip quite easily (ie you don't need to press the pedal much when moving to get the revs to flare) but I've learnt to drive around it - everyone who drives my car says the clutch is stuffed initially, purely because it disengages so high and quickly (how it is now is how it has been for probably the last 100,000km, except for when the masso started dying)

Camera is a Nikon D5100, lenses either the kit Nikon 18-55/55-200s, Nikon 18-200 (which I use now in place of both kits), or the Nikon 50 1.8 (which those beach shots were taken with)

So after 380,000km, one of the many original factory-fitted components has finally died.

Good reliability !!!

and good photos in Newcastle beach !!

You do know the trick of good photos !!!

Camera is a Nikon D5100, lenses either the kit Nikon 18-55/55-200s, Nikon 18-200 (which I use now in place of both kits), or the Nikon 50 1.8 (which those beach shots were taken with)

I was looking at the Nikon D5100! The quality doesn't look too bad, but I guess it depends on the lens. Where did you buy it from if you don't mind me asking?

I was looking at the Nikon D5100! The quality doesn't look too bad, but I guess it depends on the lens. Where did you buy it from if you don't mind me asking?

D5100 is good because it's heaps cheaper now the D5200 and D3200 came out - I got mine from Harvey Norman on special for about $800 including both kit lenses. My other main option was a second-hand D90 but even then they weren't that cheap, and I couldn't spring for a new D7000 either (7100 hadn't come out at that stage)

Haha thanks guys. I'm going to be buying one very soon, just want to get an idea on which camera to get. But looks like I will be getting the D5100 :)

Did the Nikon 50 1.8 lens come with the deal thingy or did you buy it seperatly?

Nah got the 50 seperate, depending on where you look you can sometimes get the 35 1.8 in a triple-lens kit.

If you just want to get a body you can have my 18-55 and 55-200 for cheap :P

• 4 weeks later...
Coming back from Toyotafest, decided to drop by the old abandoned Yoothamurra Kiosk on the way out to Wiseman's Ferry for a couple of happy snaps

DSC_0697_resize_zps94fe4691.jpg

DSC_0699_resize_zps8a461cba.jpg

DSC_0706_resize_zps94a3df9b.jpg

DSC_0710_resize_zps78670e3b.jpg

DSC_0712_resize_zpsdeffafdb.jpg

And the only one I took of my car at Toyotafest:

DSC_0612_resize_zps9086ffbf.jpg

Charlie the Chook still remembers coming home from Charlestown Toyota on the backseat of my dad's brand new 1997 Corolla. *16 years on, and whilst he is starting to look a little weathered, he still takes time out to be a champ and hold up my entrant's number whenever I enter Charlene in an event

• Like 2