DIY RIMS

vyets

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, i will not take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Well after getting alot of PM's about how to spray the rims i decided to do a writeup, and also because i needed to spray my spare.

This is the CHEAP way of doing it, there is a proper more complex way of doing it which i will write in brackets along the way so u can do either way, but i only have pictures for the cheap style.

Tools. can be found at Repco, autobarn, bunnings etc.

2 - 3 cans of Black wheel paint gloss or matt. or u can use any other colour u want, it dosent have to be wheel paint we used touch up paint on my friends r33 for gunmetal. u might need more cans depending on the size we used the big ones.. i duno its size LOL.

1 can of Primer.

1 can of Clear coat, same this can be any paint dosent have to be wheel paint.

Sand paper, the very light one... i duno how much grit it is, but its really smooth.

(heavy sand paper rough grit, to totally sand down the rim "this is the other way of doing it")

Duct tape because masking tape dosent stick to the tyre.

(u dont need tape if your going to remove the tyre.)

1. First of, take the rim off your car u can do it 1 at a time 2 or 4 at a time! but u cant do 3 :P just kidding.

(if you have the money and want your rim to turn out beter, you could go to your local tyre shop and ask them to remove the tyres off the rims.)

2. Clean your rims with soap.

3. Put newspaper on the floor so u dont get paint on the concret :P and tape up the tyre

4. Tape up the tyre so you dont end up painting your tyers. if you have removed the tyre then dont worry about this step. Yes my rim is gold caus i did it gold hopeing it would look bronze but its ugly.

1vi6.jpg

(if you want your rims to turn out really good, sand down the rim fully, with the strong grit paper sand it down to the metal, this takes a very long time and hurts your hands :P once all the paint is off sand it with a lighter grit paper until its smooth.)

5. Once that is done, get the primer and shake the can, until you hear the bearing inside hit the bottom of the can keep going until theres little dints, trust me you will regret it if u dont. anyway the spray the rim with 1 coat, and leave it to dry for about 5 minutes. then do another coat. we used GRAY primer and it loosk like this

2bu3.jpg

6. once the primer is on it might feel abit rough and have bubbles, sand it down with a light grit sandpaper lightly, once done dust off the rim make sure its clean.

3vg2.jpg

and its ready to be painted.

7. once the primer is dry you can get ready to paint, shake the can and spray it evenly on the rip hold it and dont let go of the nossle. make sure u hold it aound 20cm away or else it will get runny, with matt black you dont have to hold it too far caus it dosent run like the other colours.

give it 1 coat evenly and then wait for it to dry.

(if u want u can spray the inside of your rim first, the back side of it black or else it will keep abit of the stock silver colour in the back its upto you if u want to prime it or anything but i just sprayed it straight on.

4pi2.jpg

8. after about 10 mins on a hot day or 20 mins on a cold day, the first layer is try then u can apply the second layer, and even out the colour. with black paint its very easy to get a even colour, where as with gold or anything else its abit harder.

with this one i only did 2 layers caus i was lazy and it was already even, you can do another layer if u want. but i reccoment 3 layers if u want it to look really good, and/or if your doing a diffrent colour from black.

9. wait for it to dry and your ready to clear coat it, even layers around make sure it looks all glossy for the show ponys, if you did matt black then dont worry about clear coat. but if your doing gloss black like i did or another colour then u need clearcoat (clear coat is for showponys :P) i regret going gloss black but i cbf doing it all again.

10. apply about 2 layers of clearcoat to your rim and it should be done, depending on how even you did the clearcoat

5ud2.jpg

and your done your rims complete, the longer you leave it the better but yea when you put it on your car be careful you dont scrape the rim or the paint will come off. after about 3 - 4 days it should fulyl dry and it would be good. try not to drive too much when this is done.

finished product and ready to roll :P

rayzvs4.jpg

anyway, if you did the completly sanded down version your rims should turn out super good and smooth like stock, thats how mine turned out anyway but i only did 1 caus i was lazy LOL.

GL peoples any questions just pm me i hope everything was clear enough and im sorry about the typos :P

Edited by vyets

Not bad guys... Wouldn't say that id be doing it to my new chromies, but looks a good option if you really dont like the colour and cant afford (or dont want to spend too much)...\

Well done....

we painted my friends chrome enki rims, caus he didnt like chrome but we painted the spokes and gave it a polished lip, unfortunality i dont have any pictures of it but it looks totally sick. gunmetal with polished chrome lip :P

yea i wanted my rims to accually be a DARK BRONZE, this one is gold and UGLY gold so yea. rekon u can get a photo of your brothers rims. caus the copper gold colour im looking for i cannot find in cars, probally have to custom mix it.

this is the colour i was trying to get

picture015nu9.jpg

Edited by vyets

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

yeh just wanna know i own a set of BSA 15 inch chrome rims but BSA have a really $hitty chroming process it does a really light chrome platting and they peel heaps bad as i have noticed on mine so i was looking towards spraying them i wanted to spray them chrome againg but every one tells me it wont be shiny

so now i dont really care what colour i change them to i just dont want the good old peeling affect but i just wanna know to spray chrome rims to black like yours is it the same way as u did yours just by sanding it all bak so theres no chrome on them anymore

thanks GUY

I thought this was going to be a topic about actually MAKING your own rims. Having been through this process on the Formula SAE car, I thought I could offer some experience.....

Seems kinda pointless now that I know what the topic is really about

I thought this was going to be a topic about actually MAKING your own rims. Having been through this process on the Formula SAE car, I thought I could offer some experience.....

Seems kinda pointless now that I know what the topic is really about

even if i could spend less than $100 to make my own rims to my style and size, i don't think i would ever do it :lol:

• 2 months later...

top work this was my right up...

iv been meaning to do this for a long time.

painting my wheels..

this is what my wheels looked like.

paintweals002xm5.th.jpg

i wanted to leave the lip polished, and make the inside white.

i got this primer from bunnings TOP STUFF only $11 a can it so thin. normally primers are very thick in a can.

i needed 2 cans of primer and 2 cans of clear. and a can of degreaser

paintweals006ro5.th.jpg

so then i got to cleaning the wheels the better you clean the better the primer will stick.i soked the wheels in degreaser and used a old tooth brush to clean them.

paintweals007mk5.th.jpg

then i had to fix any chips and scratches

paintweals008us8.th.jpgpaintweals009lk1.th.jpg

after i saned the bits.

paintweals010jw1.th.jpg

you have to feather out the chips.

i then went over with sand paper the bits that were going to be painted.

paintweals011tr1.th.jpg

then sprayed with wax and grease remover.

then i taped and put paper over it. and hit it with some paint..

paintweals012ix7.th.jpgpaintweals013se4.th.jpg

iv put about 3 cotes of paint on them.

im just leting it "bake" in the sun and then i will put some clear on

as you might be abell to see the primer is very matt

paintweals014vj7.th.jpg

And after a cote of clear..

paintweals015ea8.th.jpgpaintweals017dw1.th.jpg

and wile waiting for the clear to dry i found some plastic primer so thought i would spray the caps red like the car. so taped them up and..

paintweals018of2.th.jpg

3 cotes of clear latter...

paintweals019ik2.th.jpgpaintweals020ph7.th.jpg

and the center caps just paint ATM will clear later...

paintweals024gq2.th.jpg

and 2 cotes of clear on the caps and now i will leave over night and put on tomorrow..

paintweals026np6.th.jpg

put the wheels on this morning and i think there pretty snazzy

the caps are the some red as the car (Rio red)

paintweals029qn0.th.jpg

fack the rims get really dirty now but i love them..

Puzzleman076.jpg

Puzzleman037.jpg

Guest JDM y0 !

good write up :)

here a pic of mine....sprayed them the day i bought them as ma61s look best in black with polished lip. they are a bit worn now but im going to do a respray in the next few weeks. will use this guide for sure..... mad props my homie :P

edit.. look at that rim sitting out the tyre lmfao

post-3185-1176189957_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDM y0 !

• 2 months later...