INNACCURATE SPEEDO

Azza

My Speedo is out by around 10kph all the way through. When following cars (different ones) at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100km/h I am always reading 10km/h higher.

Any one have any thoughts on how to correct this issue....

My Speedo is out by around 10kph all the way through. When following cars (different ones) at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100km/h I am always reading 10km/h higher.

You still have the factory tire ratio, right?

Mate its that added anti speeding safety feature that toyota built in ...... just 2 save u that speeding ticket :P :P :P

but seriously as long as ur tyres are still within reason of the stock setup this shouldnt be the case .... might need a visit 2 mr toyota ?????

My Tyres ratio has altered from stock, I have changed to 215/40/17 although the overall rolling diameter is not all that different to the standard wheels.

My wheel size is though exactly the same as SILVABULLIT's and Northy's and their speedo's are accurate, so yeah, maybe a trip to Mr Toyota may be in order unless someone knows a fix from home..... (looking rollamods' and MAP81's direction) :whistling:

I've never pulled a sportivo cluster apart to take a look at the pots etc on it's speedo assembly, I would think the speedo should have some level of adjustment available via toyota's scantool though given the technology available today. There are also digital speedo correctors available but you really shouldn't need to go that far for such a simple issue. Those are usually required when the diff ratio etc is changed and any factory adjustment isn't enough to compensate.

My Tyres ratio has altered from stock, I have changed to 215/40/17 although the overall rolling diameter is not all that different to the standard wheels.

you have a shorter tyre 215/40. a shorter tyre will make your speedometer read faster than actual speed. to fix you can change to 215/45, check inflation or look at speedo adjustment

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE: My car has been to Dr Toyota and testing by them has indicated that the ombitron thingy is f**cked and needs to be replaced.

They are going to replace the whole instrument cluster, and is booked for tomorrow....

Will let you know how it all goes...

UPDATE: My car has been to Dr Toyota and testing by them has indicated that the ombitron thingy is f**cked and needs to be replaced.

They are going to replace the whole instrument cluster, and is booked for tomorrow....

Will let you know how it all goes...

Get 'em to set the odo to like 9,000km's............ :whistling:

(I know it's fraud nobody jump up my @ss)

OKIES - Got my car back with a new speedo cluster, and calibrated for standard 195/55/16's. My speedo is now considered accurate according to Toyota.

I will check it with Northy doing a follow speed this arvo to see who it goes against his....

How accurate are the GPS' as a speedo?

My GPS actually matches my speedo and im running 195/55R/16 when the default profile is 195/60/R15 (im just worried the GPS is wrong and my speedo is out).

Edited by neK

How accurate are the GPS' as a speedo?

My GPS actually matches my speedo and im running 195/55R/16 when the default profile is 195/60/R15 (im just worried the GPS is wrong and my speedo is out).

When we had a Garmin rep come to our work from memory he claims it to be around 3% accuracy when you have traveled at a constant speed for at least 5 seconds.