Lowered the Black Beast...

Hey all,

I've lowered my facelift sportivo using King Springs thru Ozzy Tyres but I'm getting plenty of guard rub when I have just 1 or 2 extra passengers riding with me.... :(

I recently fitted 17 x 7 Lenso AGS Racing wheels :) and drove around for a while with the stock suspension (I've got 225/45/17 tyres on there) - the car felt really unsettled and nervous with the change in wheels so I decided it was time for a lowering job to improve the ride. Finally I got it dropped 2" all around and was happy with the ride quality until I had 4 people in the car last sat night - The thing scrubs up like crazy... and its driving me nuts :angry:

Would rolling the guards eliminate this?? Or should I just get rid of these spings and std shocks and go coilovers??? The ride isn't stiff enough, so I'm thinking coilovers.... What do you guys think??

Thanks

elbowz17 ;)

the car felt really unsettled and nervous with the change in wheels so I decided it was time for a lowering job to improve the ride

mine felt unsettled with 215 45 r17 on there too, with the stock suspension, handled great on corners but in a straight line did not.

was not the rims as tried them on another rolla and all good but that one was lowered. figured mine has a vibration in the steering at 90 to 100kmh with stock rims too in a straight line.

Apparently its normal (for toyota) with engine vibration coming trough the steering wheel at 100kmh as its a sports car.

did the lowering get rid of the unsettled ride? what were the symptoms etc (if similar might lower mine instead of trying to trade it in for a good price)

Hey guys,

Ive got 215/45 r17's n i just went on a 4 hour drive through the country and i have lowered my car

with kings springs low, so 35mm drop. I found that at about 110+kph there was quite a bite of vibrations,

but i figure its not very often that i travel that fast so i dont really mind, but i agree there is some vibrations at those speeds with those mods. But its all good.. the car still looks good and handles much better.

cheers just my 2c's

C-rolla

just wondering..

what type of vibrations are u all talking about ?? there shouldnt be ant vibrations at all ?? unless u hit a pot hole or the road conditions are sh*te

im just curious ....i coz i have no vibrations at any speeds

just wondering..

what type of vibrations are u all talking about ?? there shouldnt be ant vibrations at all ?? unless u hit a pot hole or the road conditions are sh*te

im just curious ....i coz i have no vibrations at any speeds

the vibrations i had were the steering wheel shaking 5 to 10 mm in my hands from side to side on flat freeway, all wheels balanced, wheel alignments done and wheel shims in.

back on stock rimms, still feel the same shake but no physical shake any more.

toyota cant find anything wrong, or professionals either physically but can feel it. no fix so sell the car, unless someone can tell me how to fix it.

maching rotors didnt help either (shake was not under braking, just normal driving)

get the wheel shop to balance your wheels to 120kph as a minimum.

Also check the orientation of the tyre to the rim. The tyre is meant to be mounted with the coloured dot inline with the valve stem (MANY tyre places dont do this, hence a lot of weights are needed to balance the wheel).

Definately tyre width is too wide and rims are obviously the wrong offset. This isn't the first time I have heard of Ozzy tyres doing this to people. It's a case of "yeah mate they'll fit and look great" even when they don't and make the car dangerous.

All they are interested in is selling wheels and tyres and couldn't really care whether they are dangerous/suitable for the car or not. I have had dealings with them and will never deal with them again beacuse of this reason and as I said know of quite a few people in the tyre wheel industry who willl say the same thing. :(

Definately go back and complain to them and ask for a fix. :D

you need to get 205's man!!!

no scrub with 17" and 5 ppl in the car for me oh and lowered on kings

Aren't you running 205/40 though Pete? That's probably way too low a profile to have anyway, BUT it's good for clearance etc. I'm going 215/40.

Hey all,

I've lowered my facelift sportivo using King Springs thru Ozzy Tyres but I'm getting plenty of guard rub when I have just 1 or 2 extra passengers riding with me.... :(

I recently fitted 17 x 7 Lenso AGS Racing wheels :) and drove around for a while with the stock suspension (I've got 225/45/17 tyres on there) - the car felt really unsettled and nervous with the change in wheels so I decided it was time for a lowering job to improve the ride. Finally I got it dropped 2" all around and was happy with the ride quality until I had 4 people in the car last sat night - The thing scrubs up like crazy... and its driving me nuts :angry:

Would rolling the guards eliminate this?? Or should I just get rid of these spings and std shocks and go coilovers??? The ride isn't stiff enough, so I'm thinking coilovers.... What do you guys think??

Thanks

elbowz17 ;)

Check out the link below and you'll see that ur rolling diameter is out as well as the fact that your tyres are as stated above too wide for this car... I would go back and complain n get them to change your tyres to an appropriate profile such as 205/45R17 or 215/40R17

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Edited by grima88