Why you dont buy fake/dodgy rims

neK

Found this on another forum.....

crackedrim2nb9.th.jpg crackedrimre9.th.jpg quarterpaneldamageof2.th.jpg struttowerdamageeb5.th.jpg wheelturnedju8.th.jpg

That came off the street commodores forums. Can't remember the brand of rim. Anyway apparently 2 companies make that design. Hp Designs i think and another. It was the other one. Possibly 3 letters starting in B (BSA)

Oh, apparently that was on the street. Stock vu ss ute with edit, kicked back to second and shattered the rim.

He shifted back to second to accelerate and rear shattered. Apparently it kicked the ute sideways and then he crashed.

Apparently the wall was an embankment not a big solid one. Part of the story i hadn't mentioned was that the rims were a week old. Apparently 300km's max done on them. They were bought believing they were the HP ones but the B**'s were fitted.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmmmm, I have BSA Au229s, aka Volk TE37 copies. I hope nothing like this ever happens to mine, then again I've got slightly less torque than an SS Commodore

i think this just goes to show u get wat u pay for .... however i would have 2 say without knowing this situation according 2 those posts it looks like he was duped into thinking they were the real deal ..... let this b a lesson to ppl who knowingly know wat they are buying is the cheap rip off that this is a worst case scenario that could happen

going cheap on anything brake / tyre / rim related is just asking for trouble. why do I get the feeling this was done by a backyard charlie, with no real accountability

just ask my uncle. he went cheap on brakes once > all 4 shatted in a emergancy stop, car was a right-off. This was in 1996, ever since then he had stopped being a tight ****

hey, if you look at the last pic, there is an L plate in shot. Was the driver a learner? If so, it would have scared the $hit outta them

its one of those revesible L/P plates, so when you go from Ls to Ps, you just flip them around and away you go... saves' you buying another set of $3, plates, or even putting on the plates the RTA gives you for free..

pretty crazy story but - it doesnt matter how much experience you've had, that would scare the crao out of you... i feel sorry for the guy who thought he was paying for the real deal, but got ripped off... at least he had intentions of coughing up the bucks for the quality product...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

farout, that is just nuts!!!!

Its like my mates rims, he bought some cheap $1000 jobbie things, hit a gutter side on and shattered the rim, whereas in my car, i have some AMG rims(not sure on price or quality, but i am led to believe they are farkin good - came with the car) and i hit a gutter the same way but at way more force, and i ended up with a bent axle and a little chip out of my wheel

I've got Starcorp rims... they are lightweight, made in China, all the things people say is crap, but I've run them on the track and never had an issue. I know guys in GTP that run these same rims only in silver with no issues. At the end of the day they are cheap, light and look good... what more can you ask for... :huh:

i have BSA wheels and i have never had a problem with them, they are just as strong as any other wheel i have driven on

could be a one off

Didn't see your wheel EXPLODE when you hit those logs that some little c***s left on the road ay mick, just had a mad dent where the impact was...

What's with the HSV centre caps on those wheels in the pics????

More chance of something like this happening when you're on the track pushing your car to its limits. I've seen many photos of rims snapped in half while on the car. Most of them were on the race track... and yep, they were mostly the less expensive (sometimes imitation) wheels too.

The problems with copies are:

Many times they're passed off as originals. An importer of dodgy copies usually purchases a container load of them, but then will place a couple of sets of originals in the front so the shipment looks like they're all originals.

Copies of original wheels are usually made from very poor quality materials (think melted down pots and pans).

Copies are on many occassions made in sizes that the original design was never designed to be produced in - therefore making it inherently weak. For example, the manufacturer will look at a wheel that was only supposed to be made in 16" max, but make 18's using the same design only because it looks cool.

So beware, firstly when buying very cheap wheels, you are indeed paying for what you get, and secondly, check that what you have purchased is in fact an original. The manufacturer should always have an embossed or laser etched brand name somewhere on the wheel.

usually made from very poor quality materials (think melted down pots and pans).

Sounds like HSV to me :lol:

look like stick ons to me.

Also look like the exact same wheel that Donna (HDACHE) has on her new barina.

becoming a very popular wheel i see them everywhere lately.

They're deadset f***in' everywhere

yeh ill never buy a nother set of BSA rimz i got jiped when i got my rimz there BSA and the chrome is so cheap it just peels off the rim verry noticable and everytime i ask wheel shops about them and as soon a i say BSA they say to me "well theres your problem" i guess Bridgestone just wanted a sale..

• 4 months later...

Bad luck with your rim m8 I work at a bridgesatone store and i can tell you this happens to all sorts of rims genuine or not although you do see alot more on the cheaper rims i woulds say once you go over the 16 inch you start seeing it more . When i first started fitting tyres in 1999 you hardly seen it but now that most cars come out with bigger rims now you see it every week