Why you dont buy fake/dodgy rims

neK

When i first started fitting tyres in 1999 you hardly seen it but now that most cars come out with bigger rims now you see it every week

That's interesting and makes sense. Do you find there are particular designs that are more prone to breaking? For example, do you see it more on 1 piece 5 spoke wheels or is it just anything and everything?

I often look at my ROH wheels and think those 10 thin spokes are having to withstand alot of force.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I paid for ROH rims instead of getting the same design cheaper in another brand and ended up with 3 of them being defective (porous) :rolleyes: Next time I won't friggin bother.

I paid for ROH rims instead of getting the same design cheaper in another brand and ended up with 3 of them being defective (porous) :rolleyes: Next time I won't friggin bother.

What do you mean by porous? Were they replaced?

omg this scares me..... im going to be looking for rims soon .... aarr

are these cheap rim / fake sold in normal shops?? like tempetyres?? and places like that or are they just ebay jobs??

thanks

advanti yaye!

dsc5276vr5cu0.jpg

dsc5279vi5nl8.jpg

Vork Racing lols!! A common way to tell fake rims is 80% of the time they are multistud which looks discusting lol

229gold1618vd8.jpg

Go genuine

te37bronzecx3.jpg

Edited by vyets

advanti yaye!

At least it will make a good coffee table :lol: Bad part is, not only do you have to replace all the rims, but you need to get the body fixed.

These are the reasons I don't have new rims. I wont look at anything that costs under 2G's for a set of 16's

In defence of Advanti they do have the insignia as mentioned in this thread from a while back (at least my set do)

Also I've never seen that design before... May be lightweight but it looks paper thin - clearly not suitable for use on a track car making decent rear wheel power. Perhaps the bloke wanted to look like he had R34 GT-R OEM wheels but couldn't afford it :help:

yep, that's a wall scrape mark, could not have happened on the track.

If he did enough damage to the face of the rim in that incident, and it provides a large enough point defect there is now reason why that couldn't have weakened the wheel enough that once it is heated from track work that it becomes the initial failure point.

very very quick question if some could answer ..

are these cheap/ fake rims sold in normal shops?? like eg. tempetyres?? and places like that or are they just ebay jobs??

thanks

very very quick question if some could answer ..

are these cheap/ fake rims sold in normal shops?? like eg. tempetyres?? and places like that or are they just ebay jobs??

thanks

They're not fake rims, just copies. And there's usually nothing wrong with them anyway. I've got a set of 16" Au229s (ie Volk TE37 copies) and they've been fine, weigh the same (with tyres) as my stock 14" steelies, and look the bomb. Plus, they didn't come with the crappy VORK RAVS stickers on them, which I've heard are removable anyway

Well, that's not the first time i've seen an Advanti fail in that manner. If i'm not wrong they're produced by a factory in Taiwan for YHI. it's either kyowa or hijoin. hijoin also produces a budget range of forged rims sold as Maglines and exported to the US under the name Motegi Track Lites. hijoin used to manufacture rims for SSW until SSW built their own factory in thailand and started making some decent rims.

You'd also be surprised to find that Chinese rim factories use a whole more than 30% of remelts in their alloy mix. Within their remelts, it contains things like coke cans and such.

Which is why, most of them do not and cannot provide a polished finish as the diamond polisher will jump and result in marks across the surface finish. So they just go chrome.

At the end of the day, as part of statistics, there will always be some failures, just more or less depending on some factors.

Edited by shaohaok

this is all nonesense. I don't care if my wheels have beer bottle caps as part of the metal compound - They shouldn't break! Isn't it obvious that the car has been crashed. H3ll! if I crashed my car into the gutter, i'd expect my wheels to break too. Unless you expect your wheels to disintegrate while your driving, then cheap or expensive, it's all about taste and budget.

BTW, the car pictured is a Holden "yobo'dore, not a skyline as some have said.

Edited by qkslvr

If he did enough damage to the face of the rim in that incident...

Call me blind, but I can't see any scratches/marks on the rim face.

Looks like the central grooved circle around the nuts was designed a little too deep. But I'm not a metallurgical engineer :P

Unless this is an old style, I have been unable to find this rim on any of the YHI websites.

Edited by SuperDave

this is all nonesense. I don't care if my wheels have beer bottle caps as part of the metal compound - They shouldn't break! Isn't it obvious that the car has been crashed. H3ll! if I crashed my car into the gutter, i'd expect my wheels to break too. Unless you expect your wheels to disintegrate while your driving, then cheap or expensive, it's all about taste and budget.

BTW, the car pictured is a Holden "yobo'dore, not a skyline as some have said.

my point is, u get wat u pay for.

i wouldn't expect to get the level of balance and strength of something from RAYs or OZ as compared to Advanti. i don't want be seen as slandering Advanti, but if u knew their QA benchmarks... and trust me, i do know, afterall, they used to be my competitor at my last job. :)

if u just want a rim that looks a certain way, then perhaps advanti isn't a bad choice at all. each to their own i guess, i understand where u're coming from.

hmmm just reading thru post... so starcorp is like a copy of an original yeh ...?

i got errr star corp GT-C rims 17s paid 1.2k when first came out in market .. and apparently they copies of volk gt-c blacks .. ive had them for a yr n half n i thrash hard with them.. right now they just got scratches due to misjudging kerbs.. buh other than that i reckon they awesome rims.. very light weighted ones

not sure if n e 1 has seen them b 4

bare with me.. that night was queen bday saturday night tongue.gif i popped tyre ..

buh yeh just minor scratches n stuff

Edited by phoboi

I don't think you have to worry.

You get what you pay for but the other thing to remember is your Corolla has 185-190nm of torque developed high up in the rev range. Not exactly earthmoving or wheel shattering stuff. So your chances of a wheel failure due to not being strong enough to handle your cars power is nil. And a Corolla wont generate enough lateral g's in cornering to be of concern either.

However put cheapies on a more powerful car, and the results a different. I don't understand why the Skyline owner above would fit such wheels to that car - especially given it's doing some track work? Just silly.