Stivo Brakes

Hey Everyone,

I know I'm a little hard at times on my brakes, but the constant shimmer I have (they have been skimmed twice at service) leads me to believe that the Stivo brake discs are too small.

I priced an A.P. setup for my car, $3200 :lol::ph34r:

Would anyone have an Idea if there is a reasonably priced way to upgrade the front discs to something larger, perhaps with twin pot front calipers.

I'm not after a full race setup, just a good set to cope with the odd mountain charge and the like.

I have tried PBR, and they don't do discs to suit our cars (original spec they do, but no high performance).

I know brakes aren't cheap to upgrade, but if I could find something for even a bit under 2k$, I'd be interested...... any suggestions??

I hope your getting them faced under warranty.. :) I ve had mine done once already due to disc runout and have been told they will be replaced if they have issues again.. B) Factory rotors are never made outta the best stuff.. Some slotted rotors will fix this issue just nicely I reckon.. If you feel the brakes are poo on the Stivo, cane a stocker round for a few days.. That will soon change ya mind.. :D

I hired an auto Ascent in Cairns, and flogged it up the road to Kuranda (10 minute each-way fang), and it held together pretty well- :lol: authough, I had the auto locked into second.. ;) for the engine braking as well :P :P

But fundamentally, the ascent has less power & skinnier tyres.... my corner speeds, and critically- my corner arrival speeds.... were much lower.

And yes, under warranty :D

DBA have been advertising their new "Kangaroo Paw" discs on Melbourne telly on the weekend.

There's a completely different casting pattern inside the disc, giving hugely improved heat dissapation compared with their regular ventilated discs....

Gotta be worth a try ??

Depends on how hardcore you want to go... on my AE112, I reckon the brakes are pretty **** (twin pot, but both pistons are on the same side = effectively a powerful single piston caliper).

I have just ordered Brembo 4-pot calipers for it, with custom zinc 315mm rotors (stock size is 255mm), cross-drilled and slotted (purely for aesthetic appeal :D), with slotted pads so as to reduce the effectiveness of the brakes to prevent lock-up.

Cost me $2560.

• 3 months later...

um.....

instead of changing the rotors why dont you try the little things first?

- Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines (ADR approved ~ $100/corner)

- Upgraded Brake Fluid (I recommend Redline Oils)

- Upgraded Brake Pads

my 3.9764730021 cents worth

um.....

instead of changing the rotors why dont you try the little things first?

- Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines (ADR approved ~ $100/corner)

- Upgraded Brake Fluid (I recommend Redline Oils)

- Upgraded Brake Pads

my 3.9764730021 cents worth

They will DEFINITELY make a big difference before you start going to the expensive upgrades. New brake fluid makes a big difference - I have a can of TRD DOT5 brake fluid if anyone's interested :P haha

Also, you might want to see if Cusco or someone similar makes a brake stopper for the ZZ Corolla.

Definately try a set of decent brake pads before spending a truck load of cash on new rotors. i am currently investigating with a company I deal with about making semi race and a full race pad for the Sportivo. The semi race pad will work from cold so street application is fine but works under extreme braking conditions as well.

I should have something in concrete to tell you about hopefully before christmas if not early in the new year.

Cheers SILVABULLIT.

PS. prices haven't been set as yet so when I know you'll know :D

done done and done.

i asked for disc's, not fluids.

any other brands available for cross and cross-drill?

there is no such thing as a cross rotor

not that u asked for this but i am going to say it anyway

using a cross-drilled rotor will be problematic (unless u are getting brembos) and overkill for the streets. unless u are after the pimp/race factor.