The best panel filter

theDefiant1

Hi all,

After searching the forum fairly extensively, I've noticed:

1) Most airflow topics are on CAIs

2) There is some confused debate about panel filters

I appreciate that if one is going to spend over $150-odd on a panel filter that they are better off getting a CAI, BUT what if one does not want to?

So, I open this thread to the panel filter debate.

First off we have our stock-standard Toyota paper filter. Does the job, over $100 to replace.

Secondly we have the TRD filter. Difficult to see when it is dirty, and still appears to be a red-coloured paper filter.

Third welcomes the 2252 K+N oil panel filter. According to a doody-jim mechanic at toyota, oil filters are not the greatest as the suction from the engine is capable of sucking some of the oil into the engine. He highly recommended a dry filter.

Fourth, which I found on eBay, is the Trust Airinx II filter. Very cheap, but does anyone know what its filtration is like?

Fifth... well, you'll have to tell me. I only know about the first four!

Six: As some would say - Panel filters are a waster of time. Do everything else, from CAI to porting headers, and talking to mazda boys about dump pipes... :P

I await your expertise!

Hi all,

I appreciate that if one is going to spend over $150-odd on a panel filter that they are better off getting a CAI, BUT what if one does not want to?

First off we have our stock-standard Toyota paper filter. Does the job, over $100 to replace.

Secondly we have the TRD filter. Difficult to see when it is dirty, and still appears to be a red-coloured paper filter.

Third welcomes the 2252 K+N oil panel filter. According to a doody-jim mechanic at toyota, oil filters are not the greatest as the suction from the engine is capable of sucking some of the oil into the engine. He highly recommended a dry filter.

Fourth, which I found on eBay, is the Trust Airinx II filter. Very cheap, but does anyone know what its filtration is like?

Six: As some would say - Panel filters are a waster of time. Do everything else, from CAI to porting headers, and talking to mazda boys about dump pipes... :P

I await your expertise!

i put a k&n filter in my stivo mainly cause i thought the replacement paper element for $100 was a bit rich cant really say if it makes any power difference it makes a bit more induction noise id be surprised if it did have any effect on its own without redirecting the air feed into the airbox itself as for the toyota mechanic saying itll suck oil into the engine thats true it might..... but the amount of oil it may suck out really wouldnt be noticed and if you clean the throttle body a few hundered klms after reoiling or first fitting any traces in the intake are quickly dispensed i clean mine every 10,000 but thats just me.

Edited by T.J

Hi all,

I await your expertise!

I've got a K&N Panel Filter (2nd hand for $50) on an auto 1ZZ. At first I didn't notice much difference, but after a while (the ECU must have adjusted) and removing the intake res. I noticed a more free flowing feeling as well as a substantial increase in mid range pull (around 4000rpm is awesome) plus u get a bit nicer intake noise. I've heard ppl say that these oil filters can block the MAF sensor but I reckon its the same as getting an SRI or CAI with a conical oiled filter (but I plan to clean the MAF once every yr anyway so hopefully no damage will be done).

On another note I've heard alot of ppl boasting about the ITG panel filter (which is the dry type) except for the fact that they have to cut it a bit to fit or put all there weight on it to get it to sit in there. Also u should note that there are two types of TRD panel filters, one of which is dry one of which is oiled.

So in conclusion there is a large variety available so I reckon just get watever u can 2nd hand cheap as they r all prob. better than stock. O n keep searching on the forum as there are a few other posts dealing with this issue.

Edited by grima88

I use the trust filter (no need for cutting either :huh: ...mine sits flush :) )...works fine n gets the tick of approval from me.

major gains...common seriously... u ain't gonna notice big no matter what filter.

i chose dry cause of low maintenance...some will beg to differ n pounce on me for saying this, but idling is better with the new filter cause it don fill like its dying when standing still and engine response feels smoother.

Will be upgrading to CAI though! :D

Ive been using my Knn filter for a while now. No problems.

I don't notice much power difference however when I floor it it goes right up to 6K much more easier that it did with the stock filter.

$100 for the stock Toyota panel filter? Pffft! What a rip!

Ive been using my Knn filter for a while now. No problems.

I don't notice much power difference however when I floor it it goes right up to 6K much more easier that it did with the stock filter.

$100 for the stock Toyota panel filter? Pffft! What a rip!

tell me bout it its either 100 bucks for the genuine or 110 for the k&n plus a cleaner kit seriously the only way youd know which performance filter lives up to its promise is dyno testing

The ITG panel filter is an oiled type, however they advertise that the oil they use is "5 times thicker" than regular filter oil :blink: and hence doesn't dirty the MAF. Also it's a foam type and feels greasy rather than oily to touch. I didn't have to cut it to install it, just use those guns and squeeze it in - there's a reason they fit so tight ;)

CAI is more fun though obviously

• 1 month later...

I'm running the Trust one and its fine for me! Planning on adding a 3" duct to the airbox to open things up a bit down the track but thats about it.

Its a really hard issue to judge in the drivers seat cause each persons gonna say xyz is better. Comes down to everyone having their own preferance. However i'm fond of all the jap stuff and k&n, etc! :P

Edited by Lanzz

There are also the BMC panels. Good filters.

I had one for 20,000km without problems :)

oil filters are not the greatest as the suction from the engine is capable of sucking some of the oil into the engine. He highly recommended a dry filter.

With the dry filters it's possible that the dirty isn't filtered very well, and it's not good for engine.

There are also the BMC panels. Good filters.

I had one for 20,000km without problems :)

oil filters are not the greatest as the suction from the engine is capable of sucking some of the oil into the engine. He highly recommended a dry filter.

With the dry filters it's possible that the dirty isn't filtered very well, and it's not good for engine.

My friend went BMC aswell, said he felt better acceleration. But I don't believe it, sometimes when you spend money on something you tend to make yourself believe it's better when it really doesn't make a difference. Thinks he has 6-7kw more now, more like the guy at Autobarn talking crap.

• 6 months later...

By the way...

David from AAI motorsport has stocked some TRD and Toms filter. Ring him if you are interested in the TRD stuff, and tell him I sent you there, he might try to do a good price.

Reason I know: I talk to him on msn everyday.

• 2 weeks later...
just got my k&n filter.. i can feel the diff in throttle response already.. revs seem to be smoother.. definately no power gain..

where did u get it? :P how much?

not being a smart ***** my cai is sold alrady but your better off saving up for one you will not be happy with just the k&n filter, i know i wasnt

just got my k&n filter.. i can feel the diff in throttle response already.. revs seem to be smoother.. definately no power gain..

not being a smart ***** my cai is sold alrady but your better off saving up for one you will not be happy with just the k&n filter, i know i wasnt

:blink: err..he has ur cai? :P i tot he changed the panel filter.. :P im talking about panel filter :D

:blink: err..he has ur cai? :P i tot he changed the panel filter.. :P im talking about panel filter :D

no he doesnt have cai.. was just saying dont bother with a panel filter save up for a cai you wont regret it

no he doesnt have cai.. was just saying dont bother with a panel filter save up for a cai you wont regret it

ahhh..so panel filter sucks? :\

I'm getin an injen SRI for the celica

SRI FTW

Edited by HaiiSon

and1 is upgradin to TRD CAI soon

and money isn't a prob for him when his parents retires and gives him everything :blink:

*cough* rich bastarb *cough*

wat are you on about mate?? i never said anything about and1 having no money.. the topic is about panel filters..

and1 is upgradin to TRD CAI soon

and money isn't a prob for him when his parents retires and gives him everything :blink:

*cough* rich bastarb *cough*

wat are you on about mate?? i never said anything about and1 having no money.. the topic is about panel filters..

i dont no wat im on about either :blink:

im hai

and TEE is all OVER

BURN THE BOOKS :lol:

Edited by HaiiSon

the only reason i replaced my panel filter is that i want to keep my car as stock as possible until the end of the year, but i wanted better throttle response thats all..

• 2 weeks later...

i have a k&n panel in my rolla and compared to the stock paper element i actually think it works bettter...

and if u think about it, if u keep having to replace a stock air filter, u will end up spending more money than if u just get the k&n filter.

although i have heard about it 'sucking in oil' too but that shouldnt happen/shouldnt be a problem if u dont drench the panel in oil.