Reverse Camera on my new Head Unit

Peter Yeh

Hello, I'm getting a new head unit for my ZR6 (face lift model) this new model came with reverse Cam and I plan to install by myself, I looked at those cable in my car, the problem I'm having is I don't know which pins output for my reverse Cam, does anyone knows the pin layout? I have attached photo for the cable plug.

post-15844-1256733490_thumb.jpg

Hey Peter, this is Terry

Nice to see you here and hope everyone would be helpful for your question because i have no idea lol

You even solve my problem with my DVD headunit..hehe

You will be fine. Good luck

Terry.

Toyota Aurion Reversing Camera

This might help.

Drew

Do I hear an echo? :lol:. VF-X managed to beat you to it.

we will have to wait for the lord of the aurion to comment. if the lord doesn't know no one here will.

I can't be 100% on whether the new Aurion is identical to the previous model (these things can change), but Peter, you should probably unplug the other connectors on your head unit and look for one that looks like this (shown on Aurion ZR6's guide):

28012008072.jpg

If it looks identical, I would say that it is safe to assume that your head unit is the same and then you can follow the guide linked above.

So you're that new Aurion owner in Brisbane eh? If I was in town at the moment, I would be able to give you a hand. Oh well; maybe next time.

Hey Peter, this is Terry

Nice to see you here and hope everyone would be helpful for your question because i have no idea lol

Terry.

Good on you Terry I hope you enjoy it.. I just got my Kenwood DDx-8034BT install in my car 2 hours ago, it works great but I lost my reverse Cam and Steering control as well (I can't find the pin layout), I'm still fig things out in fact the place sold the Kenwood head unit to me they are hopeless, I hope someone can help me out...

This might help.

Drew

Hey Peter, this is Terry

Terry.

Good on you Terry I hope you enjoy it.. I just got my Kenwood DDx-8034BT install in my car 2 hours ago, it works great but I lost my reverse Cam and Steering control as well (I can't find the pin layout), I'm still fig things out in fact the place sold the Kenwood head unit to me they are hopeless, I hope someone can help me out...

Does the above link site doesn't help?

Is it 24 pin plug on the Aurion or 16 pin plug like my corolla?

The last method i can think of is to eliminate the pins you know and hopefully only 1 last.

Good luck. See you friday.

This might help.

Drew

Thanks for the info, unfortunately the cable u have shown me (24 pins) was 2006 model, the cable I have got at moment is completely different than your's(mine is 20 pins). I have installed Kenwood DDX-8034BT 2 hours ago, it's a great unit but I lost my reverse Cam and Steering wheel control function, because I don't know the pin layout, I hope any expert can help me to hook up my reverse Cam and Steering wheel control. many thanks

one thing I forgot to metion about, I also lost my TRIP display function on my steering wheel control, maybe I didn't hook up Steering wheel control wire from my head unit.

post-15844-1256828698_thumb.jpg

This might help.

Drew

Do I hear an echo? :lol:. VF-X managed to beat you to it.

we will have to wait for the lord of the aurion to comment. if the lord doesn't know no one here will.

I can't be 100% on whether the new Aurion is identical to the previous model (these things can change), but Peter, you should probably unplug the other connectors on your head unit and look for one that looks like this (shown on Aurion ZR6's guide):

28012008072.jpg

If it looks identical, I would say that it is safe to assume that your head unit is the same and then you can follow the guide linked above.

So you're that new Aurion owner in Brisbane eh? If I was in town at the moment, I would be able to give you a hand. Oh well; maybe next time.

Yes, I am that new Aurion owner in Brisbane... it's a powerful car I ever had

Unfortunately the cable u have shown me (24 pins) was 2006 model, the cable I have got at moment is completely different than your's(mine is 20 pins). I have installed Kenwood DDX-8034BT 2 hours ago, it's a great unit but I lost my reverse Cam and Steering wheel control function, because I don't know the pin layout, I hope any expert can help me to hook up my reverse Cam and Steering wheel control. many thanks

One thing I forgot to metion about, I also lost my TRIP display function on my steering wheel control, maybe I didn't hook up Steering wheel control wire from my head unit.

post-15844-1256829367_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the cable u have shown me (24 pins) was 2006 model, the cable I have got at moment is completely different than your's(mine is 20 pins). I have installed Kenwood DDX-8034BT 2 hours ago, it's a great unit but I lost my reverse Cam and Steering wheel control function, because I don't know the pin layout, I hope any expert can help me to hook up my reverse Cam and Steering wheel control. many thanks

One thing I forgot to metion about, I also lost my TRIP display function on my steering wheel control, maybe I didn't hook up Steering wheel control wire from my head unit.

I am aware that the one you have shown is a 20 pin connector. I just made my above statement because usually you will find that your stock head unit will have at least 2 different connectors that plug into the back of it. On the previous model Aurion, you have at least 3 connectors. One carries the steering wheel controls (details below about the DISP button functionality), another carries the power and the front speaker wiring, and the other carries the rear speaker wiring.

I wasn't aware of whether or not you have connected everything yet or have just disconnected only one of a few connectors there. I would be guessing that you have other connectors there (because the one you have shown does not have all the required wires on it) and it would be useful if you could also show what they look like.

From just looking at that one connector alone, it appears that your stock wiring harness is definitely different*. That said though, from visual inspection I may be able to guide you as to which wires you would be most likely to test. This is why I was asking to see what the other connectors are like.

As for the DISP button functionality, for the previous model when changing to an aftermarket unit, it was as simple as following the next procedure. Without seeing your wiring myself, I can't make judgement:

Okay, here is a solution to those that wish to use an aftermarket head unit on their Aurion buy don't want to buy an control box to get their audio controls working but still want to retain DISP button functionality.

You just need to ground the pink wire on the steering wheel control harness.

Thanks Mikeyboy for taking the time to help out. I just wasn't willing to ground anything on that harness without knowing how it integrates at the other side. It's just because the DISP button was tied into it that I thought something isn't quite normal.

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

* Just so you can compare the differences, this is what the previous model harness looked like... not including the navigation specific harness (where the reverse camera wiring is located):

Just for you, I took my head unit out and took some measurements. When you look at the car side of the wiring harness you will see three connectors. The following is in reference to it when you are looking into the socket of the plug itself. Using the colours you can reference them. For the stereo, you will only need connectors 1 and 2. If you want to integrate the steering wheel buttons through the use of an external controller, then connector 3 has been included for reference. Only the wires present have been included:

newpicturer.png

Connector 1:

1 - Light Green - Speaker: Front Right Positive (+)

2 - Pink - Speaker: Front Left Positive (+)

3 - Grey - +12v ACC

4 - Blue/Yellow - +12v Constant

5 - Blue - Speaker: Front Right Negative (-)

6 - Purple - Speaker: Front Left Negative (-)

7 - Brown - Ground

8 - Orange - Antenna Power (+12v to power antenna amplifier)

10 - Dark Green - Illumination (+12v when tail lights on)

Connector 2:

1 - Red - Speaker: Rear Right Positive (+)

2 - Black - Speaker Rear Left Positive (+)

3 - White - Speaker: Rear Right Negative (-)

6 - Yellow - Speaker Rear Left Negative (-)

Connector 3:

3 - Purple - Speed signal (used for ASL in stock unit)

6 - Pink - Steering control ground

7 - Orange - Steering control signal (for SEEK and VOL)

8 - Yellow - Steering control signal (for MODE)

Don't be fooled by connector 2. It may have thicker gauge wire and have Red, Black, and Yellow wires which are commonly used to power a head unit, but these are speaker connections only.

I hope that helps for now, and good luck.

Edit: This thread has been added to the
now.

In addition, having not worked on the stock navigation unit, I'm not sure if my previous post with reference to the wiring would be of any relevance. There is the possibility that your head unit might be using an already known wiring pattern. Take a look at the following service manual from page 49:

http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen6/2GR-FE/Navigation.pdf

The connector that you took a photo of seems to match up with connector 'F10' as per the attached service manual. If that is the case, you should have that 24 pin connector there as well. You did remove your entire head unit right?

I am aware that the one you have shown is a 20 pin connector. I just made my above statement because usually you will find that your stock head unit will have at least 2 different connectors that plug into the back of it. On the previous model Aurion, you have at least 3 connectors. One carries the steering wheel controls (details below about the DISP button functionality), another carries the power and the front speaker wiring, and the other carries the rear speaker wiring.

I wasn't aware of whether or not you have connected everything yet or have just disconnected only one of a few connectors there. I would be guessing that you have other connectors there (because the one you have shown does not have all the required wires on it) and it would be useful if you could also show what they look like.

From just looking at that one connector alone, it appears that your stock wiring harness is definitely different*. That said though, from visual inspection I may be able to guide you as to which wires you would be most likely to test. This is why I was asking to see what the other connectors are like.

As for the DISP button functionality, for the previous model when changing to an aftermarket unit, it was as simple as following the next procedure. Without seeing your wiring myself, I can't make judgement:

Okay, here is a solution to those that wish to use an aftermarket head unit on their Aurion buy don't want to buy an control box to get their audio controls working but still want to retain DISP button functionality.

Thanks Mikeyboy for taking the time to help out. I just wasn't willing to ground anything on that harness without knowing how it integrates at the other side. It's just because the DISP button was tied into it that I thought something isn't quite normal.

* Just so you can compare the differences, this is what the previous model harness looked like... not including the navigation specific harness (where the reverse camera wiring is located):

Just for you, I took my head unit out and took some measurements. When you look at the car side of the wiring harness you will see three connectors. The following is in reference to it when you are looking into the socket of the plug itself. Using the colours you can reference them. For the stereo, you will only need connectors 1 and 2. If you want to integrate the steering wheel buttons through the use of an external controller, then connector 3 has been included for reference. Only the wires present have been included:

newpicturer.png

Connector 1:

3 - Grey - +12v ACC

7 - Brown - Ground

Connector 2:

Connector 3:

Don't be fooled by connector 2. It may have thicker gauge wire and have Red, Black, and Yellow wires which are commonly used to power a head unit, but these are speaker connections only.

now.

Thanks very much for reply, sounds like you answered my question, I will get my DISP working tonight (make Ground Connector 3: pin 6). I also ordered a steering wheel control interface for my Kenwood DDX-8034BT. I don't want loose my steering wheel control function, I hope I can wire them up easily. Do you konw how to hook them up by the chance?

post-15844-1256863891_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for reply, sounds like you answered my question, I will get my DISP working tonight (make Ground Connector 3: pin 6). I also ordered a steering wheel control interface for my Kenwood DDX-8034BT. I don't want loose my steering wheel control function, I hope I can wire them up easily. Do you konw how to hook them up by the chance?

That is providing you have the same connectors. As I said before, without seeing it first and, I can't say that the wiring is exactly the same.

As for the steering wheel controls, this guide by Mikeyboy should help you out. I'll be away from home for a little bit, so I can't really give you a hand:

Steering wheel audio controls

Aurion_Camry_SWI.pdf

I have seen that there have been discussions regarding the problems associated with fitting aftermarket head units to Aurions, and I will assume the same goes for Camrys. I have attached my explanation of what I have seen by looking at the drawings 07EWD.pdf and Audio_Visual.pdf, posted elsewhere on this site. I have also included a drawing showing how to connect a steering wheel interface.

I hope it is helpful.

This can only be checked by someone with a Camry or Aurion. I would be interested to hear the results.

In addition, having not worked on the stock navigation unit, I'm not sure if my previous post with reference to the wiring would be of any relevance. There is the possibility that your head unit might be using an already known wiring pattern. Take a look at the following service manual from page 49:

http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen6/2GR-FE/Navigation.pdf

The connector that you took a photo of seems to match up with connector 'F10' as per the attached service manual. If that is the case, you should have that 24 pin connector there as well. You did remove your entire head unit right?

You are right, the connector F10 (20 pins) is also equivalent to my 20pin connector, my Aurion only came with Toyota standard Audio connector which are F6 , F7 & F8(20pin) next thing I am planing to do is get my default reverse Cam to work, I believe on my F8 connector are pin 11,12,13 and 14 for reverse Cam, if I am wrong please correct me.

How did you get your car so quickly, I'm still waiting for my ZR6 to be build, was told to be arrived first week of Nov.

Looks like the new head unit is not going to be compatable with pre-facelift mode. I guess I will have to wait a bit longer for upgrading the head unit from ebay.

Thanks for post, hope you find an answer.

How did you get your car so quickly, I'm still waiting for my ZR6 to be build, was told to be arrived first week of Nov.

Looks like the new head unit is not going to be compatable with pre-facelift mode. I guess I will have to wait a bit longer for upgrading the head unit from ebay.

Well.. I was thinking to get Mazda CX-7 2.3 Turbo (face Lift model) but I had a funny feeling about the engine output and fuel consumptions so I end up bought Aurion, I got my ZR6 three weeks ago and I made a bright choice I am happy now.

The factory Head unit and speaker on my ZR6 are so crap, I changed my 2 rear speakers next day when I got my car, I just got my head unit changed last night it works great but I need to gat my reverse Cam and steering wheel control working soon. this site is so good about everyone exchange experiences most of expert answering your questions...

post-15844-1256872642_thumb.jpg

post-15844-1256872945_thumb.jpg

They made the front number plate holder the wrong size. I really noticed that with the one I looked at. It's like they want you to put a Euro plate on it... otherwise it just looks out of place.

I got my ZR6 three weeks ago ...

We got the same colour, I pick silver as well...

you must be the lucky one to pick one up three weeks ago.

They made the front number plate holder the wrong size. I really noticed that with the one I looked at. It's like they want you to put a Euro plate on it... otherwise it just looks out of place.

yeap, but don't think I'm putting an Euro Plate on my ZR6.

Well.. I was thinking to get Mazda CX-7 2.3 Turbo (face Lift model) but I had a funny feeling about the engine output and fuel consumptions so I end up bought Aurion, I got my ZR6 three weeks ago and I made a bright choice I am happy now.

The factory Head unit and speaker on my ZR6 are so crap, I changed my 2 rear speakers next day when I got my car, I just got my head unit changed last night it works great but I need to gat my reverse Cam and steering wheel control working soon. this site is so good about everyone exchange experiences most of expert answering your questions...

see...i told you.

LOL :clap:

newpicturer.png

Connector 1:

3 - Grey - +12v ACC

7 - Brown - Ground

Connector 2:

Connector 3:

now.

Yes, as you metioned, take pin6 (Pink) to Ground, the DISP function on my steering wheel is working now, many thanks, you are champion...

Do you have any idea for the pin layout on my default reverse Cam from my 20pin connection? I've found the 4 pins which are pin11,12,13 and 14 but I'm not sure which one for video signal and which one for reverse signal?

I've got my SWI-Jack steering wheel interface shiped yesterday, I installed to my new ZR6 last night every went fine but I'm having a bit trouble when I trying to config all my buttons on my steering wheel (audio control on left hand side), initially I used switch 3 for Kenwood, version 3 but some of buttons won't work such as "Volume Down" and "MODE" be come to ATT (Mute) and then I went to SWI-Jack site to reset the Version from ver 3 to ver 8 it seems to be a better but still not happy with ver 8.

What I am got from ver 8:

vol up & vol down button are Normal

back Skip button become to "Mode"

forward skip button become to "Mute"

Mode button become to "pause"

Here is conclusion, after 3 hours struggle, the steering wheel control on my new ZR6 is too new, the SWI-Jack interface (year 2008) won't recognise the new steering wheel's signal, maybe I need to do more settings, I am not sure, hoping some one can help me out.

• 2 years later...

I'm trying to install a new head unit for my Aurion Touring 2011 which came with reverse Camera. the problem I'm having is I don't know which pins output for my reverse Cam, does anyone knows the pin layout? Can you advise me how to connect reverse camera to new head unit.

Thanks

post-26971-0-24088600-1324345168_thumb.j

I'm trying to install a new head unit for my Aurion Touring 2011 which came with reverse Camera. the problem I'm having is I don't know which pins output for my reverse Cam, does anyone knows the pin layout? Can you advise me how to connect reverse camera to new head unit.

Thanks

Yes, I can answer that, have look at your 20 pins connector, on pin 5 is reverse signal , Pin 11 is Video (+) , pin 12 is video(-) , pin 13 is camera (+) (6V) and pin 14 is Camera (-) (6V) , with pin 13 & 14 make sure you convert them to 6V before you hook up to ur factory Camera unit otherwise you may cause permanent damage to your device.

any problems pls contact me.

cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...