Aftermarket GPS for ZRE

Hey all,

I'm having a look at one of these, and considering on purchasing it and installing it.

Has anyone had any experience with it, and know how easy it is to install?

Also where would you recommend on purchasing it from?

There are a few on Ebay, using search terms " Corolla GPS HD "

Thanks.

CDocumentsandSettingsAdministratorMyDocumentsMyPictures09rofaudidigitalpanelmodelpicturescorolla.jpg

Edited by u54mot

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firsty I would make sure it fits the current zre's in Australia. Reason being is the face looks like it might be too big for the current shape.

It looks like it might fit the current shape auras in the uk. There dash is a lot bigger for the stereo. The ones in aus only take a double din with some spacers on the side.

Also, judging by the picture, there are no mounting holes for the stereo. The aus ones have 4 screw holes ( 2 each side) of the stereo to lock it in.

If the above check out, the wiring should be fairly easy. So you don't screw up you wiring, get an Toyota to oem connector which you can hack to bits rather than touch the stock wiring

These units take up the whole space between the silver parts of the dash. It is larger than a double din, and supposedly fits right across the dash.

Like the OEM GPS units in these pictures.

Btw, i have been informed by an Australian seller of these units, that they do fit in ZRE Hatch.

Toyota-Auris_2007_photo_5b.jpg

Toyota-Auris_2007_photo_47.jpg

Toyota-Auris_2007_photo_4b.jpg

Edited by u54mot

Im just looking at some of these units. Some sizes given are slightly different to my unit/fascia size.

Are all head units the same thru the range of Corollas? Ie Accent, Levin ZR etc.. Does the ZR air diffuser/ top air cond outlet come down lower on the fascia and change the size of the unit? Ie most units ive seem and inquired about are 135mm in height, yet I only have space for 120mm. Thats 15mm difference.

My 09 Levin ZR hatch:

top width: 246mm

bottom width: 234-235mm

Middle height: 120mm

Some GPS units sizes i have seen are:

top width: 246mm

bottom width: 228mm

Middle height: 135 - 136mm

Unfortunately the HD GPS units sold here dont have all the features that i have found in one coming from china. Theone from china has virtual 6 cd stacker, and pic in pic and dual audio.

Can anyone else confirm the size of their units?

Be warey with the ones from China etc..

These "cheap" aftermarket units are often full of bugs as I encountered.

My unit skips first 1 second of each track, never remembers where it was at when turned off, crashes GPS frequently, shows time at 7:093 when it is 7:09 ... just a lot of fail..

Head units are different in Corolla sedan/Corolla hatch. At least that's how it goes here in Europe... Some have managed to fit HUs designed for sedan to their hatchbacks after doing some modifications though.

Some guys have fitted chinese HU to their ZRE hatchbacks and are very happy with it so far. The model is WI-8928CE and it looks like this:

59d39a703f31.jpg

10f4ab1e5612.jpg

d6fcfa7da15e.jpg

d33bab63dc15.jpg

0b4c1570cc43.jpg

0524dd205690.jpg

Yes, that is the player I am talking about. It will fit on ZRE hatch without any problems, but will have to be modified to fit Corolla sedan. I meant that IF someone with hatch model (like dutchie) would somehow end up with sedan HU, he could modify it to fit. I believe the same thing can be done to fit hatch HU to a sedan.

Sedan HU is 10mm higher and 4mm wider + the shape of the front is different. It cannot be installed so that it'd fit smooth inside the console without any gaps.

The guy bought a HU for sedan but fitted it to a hatchback.

Left, original, right, new one

171511w.jpg

171512w.jpg

Front comparsion

177151w.jpg

He deleted the front panel

174680w.jpg

Bought some aftermarket facia designed to fit ZRE hatch

174677w.jpg

And just connected them together. So that the front panel would fit the HU, but at the same time it would follow the shape of his front console.

174675w.jpg

174676w.jpg

Ready product

177154w.jpg

177153w.jpg

177156w.jpg

If you have ZRE hatch, just buy TYT 802 which I posted pics of in this post, if you have hatchback, buy WI-8928CE mentioned in my previous post.

Edited by Speed_Chaser

So he had cut out the center of the new fascia,cut away the edges of the aftermarket HU, and spliced them together. I gather gluing, filling, sanding and then repainting to match. Not that easy to do well. But guess it can be done. Hmmmm..... Looks like i may have to do this or just send mine back... :(

Dutchie, your HU did not fit or what? :blink: I thought you were just planning to order...

Yeah i ordered it late last week. I have the option of returning it if i need to, i made sure of that. The one i purchased had a nicer layout, better screen and detail. I guess i will know when it arrives. :unsure:

Hi people,

I just recieved the sedan version of the corolla hu and try to fit it into my hatch, but to no avail, i tried to do some handywork to make it fit but still no luck, just wondering if you guys can give me a bit of a step by step instruction of how to get the facia kit to fit with the headunit by cutting, filling, sanding and repainting, like what dutchie said?

Thanks ahead

Ahh spewing! your poor guy!

Any chance of returning it?

Ok, heres what i would do.

Get another ZRE hatch fascia, or use the factory one. Have a good look where you can cut the aftermarket fascia. Obviously it has to be removed from the front of the HU. Remove all buttons etc..

You need to splice the two together.

I would be looking to cut it around this location:

ZREGPS.jpg

zregps2.jpg

Essentially you will have to take measurements exactly how high the total height and center the unit. You want to use the factory frame, and insert the aftermarket face into it, while maintaining correct height..

Then cut the OEM fascia, cut the edges off the aftermarket one, and the top or bottom (whatever seem to bee too big/tall)file and trim to get the aftermarket fascia to fit in perfectly and square. Trial fit it in the dash. remove it when you happy with it.

join them together using ABS plastic glue (i think the fascia would be ABS, if not you need to know what plastic it is and use the according glue) allow to dry completely.

Hopefully your well skilled with tools and cutting implements!

Then fill remaining gaps with epoxy or body filler (i think epoxy isnt the best on ABS, just check first)

Sand to suit.

Prime.

Sand again with 800 grit.

Match paint to the rest pf the console and paint.

Screw back on to the HU.

Install.

Man, i hopw you are really handy, or this will be a pain in the a*ss project. also hope the painter can match the console colour too!

Shhhheeeeet, hope that helps!

Edited by dutchie101

Ahh spewing! your poor guy!

Any chance of returning it?

Ok, heres what i would do.

Get another ZRE hatch fascia, or use the factory one. Have a good look where you can cut the aftermarket fascia. Obviously it has to be removed from the front of the HU. Remove all buttons etc..

You need to splice the two together.

I would be looking to cut it around this location:

ZREGPS.jpg

zregps2.jpg

Essentially you will have to take measurements exactly how high the total height and center the unit. You want to use the factory frame, and insert the aftermarket face into it, while maintaining correct height..

Then cut the OEM fascia, cut the edges off the aftermarket one, and the top or bottom (whatever seem to bee too big/tall)file and trim to get the aftermarket fascia to fit in perfectly and square. Trial fit it in the dash. remove it when you happy with it.

join them together using ABS plastic glue (i think the fascia would be ABS, if not you need to know what plastic it is and use the according glue) allow to dry completely.

Hopefully your well skilled with tools and cutting implements!

Then fill remaining gaps with epoxy or body filler (i think epoxy isnt the best on ABS, just check first)

Sand to suit.

Prime.

Sand again with 800 grit.

Match paint to the rest pf the console and paint.

Screw back on to the HU.

Install.

Man, i hopw you are really handy, or this will be a pain in the a*ss project. also hope the painter can match the console colour too!

Shhhheeeeet, hope that helps!

Thanks dutchie, I owe you one, I'll let you know how I go, hopefully it all goes good, just need the right tools now to take the faceplate apart and do the rest, and should be all sweet since I got your advuce, thanks man

:)

Mine arrived today and fitted it this arvo.

Perfect fit.

install.jpg

This is Toyota "AURIS" unit #QL-ARS728 not the Corolla sedan unit.

Seems quite good so far. Comes with IGo GPS software but can take TomTom,PolNav and others.

Any one know how to get the steering wheel buttons to enter in the setup? Ive found the steering wheel set up, and the buttons are showing the input voltage, just cant lock them in...