timing belt

The 2GR-FE has a timing chain. No changing necessary unless it goes bad.

love this engine

in my corolla when i took it in for servicing, timing belt had to be change + other servicing stuff, cost me close to $1k

The 2GR-FE has a timing chain. No changing necessary unless it goes bad.

Are you pulling my leg :lol:

I was told by some guy(I'll just call him that) that the chain is old tech and even the chain needs a service because it can become "loose" over time. Like a bike chain for example.

edit: With a quick google search it really does have a timing chain. Well thats news to me. I love this car even more now :yahoo:

Edited by unique

Are you pulling my leg :lol:

...it really does have a timing chain.

Once again you seem to doubt me :P

Yeah, I never should have :(. You are seriously the wikipedia of Aurion. I always appreciate your help on this board man. I think I speak for many here that if you were to leave TOCA, Aurion owners are in deep **** :lol:

Correct me if i'm wrong but the only parts that may need changing are the timing chain tensioners. (how many BA fords do you hear with their rattly timing chains?).

Correct me if i'm wrong but the only parts that may need changing are the timing chain tensioners. (how many BA fords do you hear with their rattly timing chains?).

This is what I was thinking.

Mostly correct. In most situations, the only thing that is more prone to wear is the tensioner. The chain can go bad as well, but if you keep your oil changes in order, the chain will more than likely last the life of the engine. That said, not everything is perfect and it can just go bad for no obvious reason. But either way, most cases you won't come across this.

Anyways, the primary timing chain tensioner can be inspected without having to remove the timing chain cover. On the accessory side of the engine on the rear bank, there is a small panel held on with 4 bolts. You remove these 4 bolts and remove the panel to be able to visually inspect (and quite possibly even change) the primary timing belt tensioner. You can see this panel in the bottom centre of the attached photo.

For reference, the primary timing belt tensioner is of a ratchet type with a non-return mechanism and utilises both spring and oil pressure to maintain tension on the chain at all times. On visual inspection, you should easily be able to see whether this is failing.

So you can feel free to inspect this at any service you want to depending on how picky you are. That said, good luck doing it with the engine in the car.

IMG_0101.jpg

Mostly correct. In most situations, the only thing that is more prone to wear is the tensioner. The chain can go bad as well, but if you keep your oil changes in order, the chain will more than likely last the life of the engine. That said, not everything is perfect and it can just go bad for no obvious reason. But either way, most cases you won't come across this.

Anyways, the primary timing chain tensioner can be inspected without having to remove the timing chain cover. On the accessory side of the engine on the rear bank, there is a small panel held on with 4 bolts. You remove these 4 bolts and remove the panel to be able to visually inspect (and quite possibly even change) the primary timing belt tensioner. You can see this panel in the bottom centre of the attached photo.

For reference, the primary timing belt tensioner is of a ratchet type with a non-return mechanism and utilises both spring and oil pressure to maintain tension on the chain at all times. On visual inspection, you should easily be able to see whether this is failing.

So you can feel free to inspect this at any service you want to depending on how picky you are. That said, good luck doing it with the engine in the car.

IMG_0101.jpg

Very good reply. I think by the time I come to this stage where things start becoming old/loose I would have sold off the Aurion long ago for a new car again.

My SSS Pulsar had a timing chain, I sold it at 201,000km and it was still going well - had an oil pressure tensioner too. That car got worked hard - lots of 2nd gear up to 100kmh, and a fuel cut off at about 7500rpm. I did however change the oil every 5000km from new