80,000k service price shock - 08 KX-S

holmesie

Just had my 08 KX-S in for it's 80,000 service. Was shocked when bill came back at $862 incl GST. Labour component was $477, consumables $74 and parts $214.

Be prepared for this one, as anything and everything that can be "inspected" is inspected. On top of engine oil & filter, the brake fluid, in-tank fuel filter, transfer-case oil and rear diff oil is replaced

In hindsight I should have asked upfront what it was going to cost, and it might pay to shop around when YOUR time comes.

Hope this helps someone

Cheers

Edited by holmesie

Hmm that is pretty steep for an 80k service. But I guess there was a fair bit involved in the service. But say they were charging for benefit of the doubt $120 an hour. That's 4 hours just to do all of that? (4 x 120 = 480) Was this done at Toyota?

I can understand a bit of time to say get to the fuel filter, bleeding the brakes and removing and filling up all the fluids, but for 4 hours, far out they were moving slow, considering a routine service could be done in about half an hour by most mechanics.

But I guess that's the price you pay to not get your hands dirty, not have to do the job yourself and hopefully have it done to a high quality. Although I do feel for you, thats an expensive service.

Possibly from now until the 90,000k service, heck maybe even the 100k, do it yourself?

I couldn't see it requiring to much more than an oil and filter change, check of all the fluids and a basic inspection?

In the manual or your service book it tells you what needs to be done at each service anyway, so if its not to much trouble and you have a bit of time one weekend maybe have a go yourself? You'll probably save $150? and it gets cheaper everytime you do it.

If you need any help, I'm sure there'd be plenty of people on tocau and also on the magical resource Google to help you get the job done :)

Edited by RollaRollin

Thanx RR - I normally do internediate oil-changes, air-filter etc myself as I live in a country area and drive on a lot of dirt roads.

While the car is under warranty, I like to get the handbook services done by my Toyota dealer (who is in another town 60km away).

Seems there's a price to pay - and a big one at that.

I loved the first 12-months of ownership with fixed price servicing, but now they're getting it out of me lol

Cheers

Holmsie,

Thanks for the heads up. Mine (same model & colour) is now at 78,000km and I do not relish the thought of forking out that much for a service. Might first get a non-Toyota quote for this logbook service.

That sounds about right for 80K service. The price varies from dealer to dealers so it's good to shop around. Atleast you know for next time :)

The best thing to do is when you make a booking, ask how much the service will cost...

Holmsie,

Thanks for the heads up. Mine (same model & colour) is now at 78,000km and I do not relish the thought of forking out that much for a service. Might first get a non-Toyota quote for this logbook service.

You're welcome! Hopefully you'll be able to ge it cheaper (or at least have saved up enough by the time the odo ticks over :whistling: )

Let me know how you go! (or not if you get it for half the price of mine <_< )

All the best

Edited by holmesie

They will always overcharge for the actual hours worked. I got charged 45 minutes worth to change the front and back wiper blades.... you've got to be kidding.

But I'm not surprised that it costs that much for the 80K -- it's a major service and to be honest it's not as bad as I thought it would be given it's a V6 AWD.

Cheers

Matt

Given the work involved that doesn't seem too bad? The fuel pump has got to be worth a few hundred $$ and to change that along with (both) diff oils is a fair amount of work.

Only way another mechanic would be able to do it cheaper is lower labour rates, cheaper (non-genuine) parts or not doing all of the required service items. Not sure how much that would really save you?