Oil Question

I have been thinking about what oil to use and wondering what U guys use for your oil. I have been using Mobil 1 in my previous car However some people say that using very thin oil can damage the engine instead. What do you guys think?

Also what does 10w 30 mean?

Mobil 1 is 5w 50. VVTI Toyota oil is 10w 30. What's the best choice?

The numbers are the oil viscosity rating at cold and hot.

10W30: 10 denotes the cold rating, and 30 denotes the hot rating. Ideally, you'd want an oil that is 0W100 - perfectly fluid at both cold and hot, but that kind of oil is extremely expensive to produce and buy.

Anyway, to answer your question... I am using Motul 300V Chrono. It is 10W40 - fully synthetic, race-grade, top of the line. It's about $46/2 litres. Best oil I've ever used - and it 's rated to last for 12000km, too! Added bonus ;)

You don't have to overprep your car with engine oil and the notion "expensive = better quality doesn't necessary work here". Got this quote from Best Motoring. Its okay to use the oil provided by your manufacturer and just have it changed regularly depending on what sort of driving you do. Synthetic 5W30 oil would be fine for the 2ZZ-GE.

i put this in today at 22,000 km for the first time in my 1zzfe. i have heard good things about it so i thought i would try it out.

i changed the oil myself. when i took out the sump plug there was no washer! why do mechanics cheat us?

the oil i removed was penrite and looked like black coffee after 5,000 km.

tomsworks.jpg

Pardon me but what do you actually mean by no washer?? Maybe the mechanic forgot to put it back in at the 20,000km service? Also with the Penrite oil, was that what you brought in or was it Toyota's stuff?

That Toms oil looks good. What viscosity is it?

Zee

Everything with TOM's, TRD or KY on it looks good to me because i cannot afford any of them :P Wonder how much a 5 litre KY jelly costs?

Zee

zee - dont mean to be a ahole here mate....but you said
That Toms oil looks good.
from just looking at the container it is supplied in? Your an advertising executive's dream client ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Definitely NOT all oils are the same.

If you want to be good to your engine (and make it perform better, reducing wear and tear) get fully synthetic oil. The best oil I've ever used is Motul Chrono 300V, 10W40. That will work fine in your Stivo. It doesn't come too cheap though, about $46 per 2L from memory, but it will last for 12000km on heavy driving.

imo, just buy what is recommended for your car, ie 10w-30 and change it every 5000kms. I drive a car similar to your stivo's - a honda civic vtir, and i've tried numerous brands of oil, but to be honest, the difference in performance isnt not worth the difference in $.

i just use honda FEO, at $27/5litres, and change it regularly! hope that helps. I've had mobil 1 synth s 10w40 etc before but there wasnt that much difference tbh. :)

That's very true, it is the transmission oil we should take better care of. That's because the engine has a pump that helps distribute the oil evenly throughout the engine, a radiator to help cool the oil and a filter to help strain the oil. The transmission hasn't got that. Change the oils regularly and everything should be fine. But use Synthetic oils because they are cleaner and check to make sure your dealer uses Synthetic and the recommended viscosity (5W30 or 10W30 for Sportivos).

Zee

I have been thinking about what oil to use and wondering what U guys use for your oil. I have been using Mobil 1 in my previous car However some people say that using very thin oil can damage the engine instead. What do you guys think?

Forgot to mention the VVTi oil is Mineral based, not Synthetic.

transmission oil doesnt get dirty quickly like engine oil... it just there for lubication.. Thats why they dont change it for ages. Cause it takes a long time before it starts to go bad. If you gonna change it regularly you r wasting your money. :unsure::blink:

Edited by ADR_rolla

transmission oil doesnt get dirty quickly like engine oil... it just there for lubication.. Thats why they dont change it for ages.  Cause it takes a long time before it starts to go bad. If you gonna change it regularly you r wasting your money.  :unsure:  :blink:

I would be changing mine again at the next service because i have taken the Stivo to the track and absolutely hammered it. So i guess it depends on individual driving.

Hey Blackrolla,

Mobil 1 synthetic is a good oil but expensive. The only thing I don't like about using a full synthetic oil is cold start as the oil very thin it tends to drain to the bottom of the engine, thus when starting the engine has to pump a larger volume of oil back to the top of the motor as most of it has drained back to the sump. The other thing is you will tend to hear more engine noise as the oil is a lot thinner and passes through moving parts easier than a thicker mineral based oil. Obviously your oil light will take a fraction longer to go out on start up due to the engine having to pump oil all around the engine again. A mineral based oil is thicker and tends not to drain back to the sump as quickly therefore oil pressure is achieved quicker on start up. As with most arguments there are pros and cons.

A full synthetic oil uses less engine power to be pumped around the engine due to the oil being thinner and consequently your car will produce slightly more power. A mineral oil will keep your engine quieter, but may take that little more power to be pumped around. Another thing is your climate. Colder climate tends to favour a synthetic and a hotter climate favours a mineral oil. Oils do thin and thicken with differing temps, so depending on the climate, driving conditions, whether you like a slightly quieter engine or want that little extra power these are the things that I consider when buying oil for my car. Any full synthetic will cost around the $10 - $15 litre depending on brand name. My personal preferance is Penrite. I use HPR15 which is a semi synthetic at a reasonable price. You do have slightly more engine noise but is still heavy enough to cope with the weather conditions I drive in with regards to high temps etc. Any how that's my opinion but I hope I've been able to make your choice a little easier.

CHeers SILVABULLIT :D

Hi all,

my car just had 5000KM service done. The oil used by my toyota dealership was

MOBIL SUPER XHP 20W-50

I don't know about 20W50 viscosity, the service manual recommends 5W30 or 10W30 :blink: But if they put it in they will take full responsibility.

ohh it doesnt matter if its 20w..... the oil will still play its roll. Man why are we making a big deal on oil, oil will only affect the car if we use our cars as racing car, and do lots of laps in the one day... and treat our cars like **** (rev the **** out of it).. then yeah get the best oil and change it more often. I just find it so stupid that we are talking about oil like its gonna give you wonders....... in protection and performance.. Its a new car not an old car!!!!!!!!!!!