Sportivo Issues

Sportivo Owners

Due to the arising or more people encountering sticky gear changes, crunching or grinding. I ask that anyone who has made an official complaint in writing to anyone within the TMCA corporation. To place the details of the contact person and the message body here in this sticky.

THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO COMMENT ON

This is only for the details of the complaint.

This sticky will be a reference point for people. When either compiling their own letter or when in talks with TMCA on these issues.

Edited by Danthuyer

Sent: Wednesday, 29 September 2004 11:35 AM

Russel,

Since my Corolla Sportivo was purchased in February of this year. I have had issues with changing gears at both low and high RPM.

The issue has been brought up every time I have brought the car in for servicing and also for the recent recall work.

Technicians have driven the car and stated that yes there was an uncharacteristic feel to the gear changes, which was combated with a lighter weight Transmission oil. This has not fixed the issue, and the most recent request from myself for someone to look at it again. It was driven and the issue was dismissed, as the technician stated that it was performing under normal driving conditions.

‘under normal driving conditions’ is a term which has not bee explained to me by Toyota. However I feel that changing from 1st to second or second to third gear between 2000 and 3000 RPM can be classed as ‘normal driving conditions’?

On numerous occasions the gearbox locks up during these changes and the clutch has to be let out (whilst in neutral) and then depressed again and forced into the gear which I am after. This has even occurred whilst turning into traffic at T junctions and intersections. Which in my mind is a safety issue.

I have been unhappy with the performance of the gearbox since I bought the car and still do to this day.

Could you please assist me in fixing this issue sooner rather than later.

Regards.

Edited by Danthuyer

14th August 2004

Dear Jenny, i see that the recall is now official to

replace the air-cap and engine control unit. A lot of

Corolla Sportivo owners i know are excited about this

and waiting for the respective letters to be sent out

in the coming weeks. However i have to let you know

that this isn't the end of the problems list for the

Corolla Sportivo unfortunately.

Many disappointed owners have experienced numerous

other problems which i have mentioned to you before

regarding the gear selector cables and gearbox

shifting problems. Owners have been forced to spend

more money on the car to diagnose and fix these

problems because most Toyota service departments don't

want to know about it. The gearbox shifting problem

is caused by a faulty clutch or flywheel mechanism and

has been proven by owners who replaced the standard

equipment with TRD (Toyota Racing Development) Clutch

Cover, Clutch Plate and Flywheel which costs close to

AUD$2000 including labour costs. The gear shifting

improved dramatically and these owners has had no

problems since. But not everyone has that extra cash

to spend on something Toyota refuses to acknowledge.

There is also a serious premature leakage of the shock

absorbers causing the loud thumping noise when driving over bumps.

Some owners had to bring their cars into dealerships

numerous times (3 or more which takes months) before

their concerns are taken seriously. I have to point

out that the shock absorbers are a safety concern and

could potentially cause the car to lose contol at high

speeds or during an emergency. Aparently the shock

absorbers are made and assembled by Toyota South

Africa and some owners have had them changed to the

ones made by Toyota Japan. I personally have not

experienced the shock absorber problem as yet but hope

that TMCA will look into this matter and all the other

problems i have raised regarding the Corolla Sportivo

2ZZ-GE.

Regards,

Zee Low

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd October 2004

Dear Jenny, the Toyota Corolla Sportivo ZZE123 has a recall campaign addressing certain issues of the vehicle, which involved a new ECU and new gear selector cables. These new parts addresssed the performance issue of the car and resolved the annoying gear cable rattle in some vehicles but unfortunately the gear shifting problem is still present. I myself and numerous Corolla Sportivo ZZE123 owners around Australia have voiced their concerns on Toyota owners' forums and the majority are still experiencing issues with the gearbox. These issues have been present since DAY 1 which meant a manufacturer defect. Some symptoms include the gear shifter refusing to come out and go into gear and on occassions resulted in a loud crunching of the gear. The gear shifter is also unusually stiff and tight at higher engine revolutions (between 7500-8100rpm).

These issues have been lodged by owners to their respective Toyota dealerships on numerous occassions but it seems that no action has been taken by Toyota to further investigate or attempt to rectify this manufacturer defect. Some owners went to the extent of spending money in an attempt to fix the problem and i am glad to say we have found out where the problem lies, ahead of Toyota engineers "investigating" this problem. It is an issue with the clutch and flywheel assembly. A few people had Toyota Racing Development (TRD) Pressure plate, Clutch plate and Flywheel fitted to their ZZE123 Toyota Corolla Sportivo's 6 speed transmission and the problem disappeared. The vehicle is so much better to drive and has rectified all issues related to the gear shifter mentioned above. However not all owners of the ZZE123 Toyota Corolla Sportivo have spare cash at their disposal and feel very frustrated by this problem. We greatly appreciate Toyota's recent recall campaign in an attempt to rectify certain issues to do with the vehicle but frankly it did not have a great impact. This issue is widespread and many owners have only just realised it is an actual problem as we were told by Toyota mechanics that the problem will disappear when the vehicle clocks more kms. We have since realised that it is not the case and they could have done a better job taking the matter seriously and investigating into this problem.

News from other sources locally and overseas also tell of this problem affecting Toyota Celicas and Corollas overseas equipped with the 2ZZ-GE motor and 6 speed gearbox. Coincidentaly, the problems were resolved when a new pressure plate, clutch plate and flywheel were fitted.

I hope you can bring forward my concern ASAP and i wish to hear from Toyota soon.

Regards,

Zee Low

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their Reply 5th Oct 2004:

Dear Mr. Low

Thank you for your email which we have passed to the Technical

Operations

Manager of the N.S.W. Regional Office and also to the Technical Group

in

Melbourne. We will come back to you once they have investigated the

issues

raised in your email.

Regards,

Jenny Stewart

Customer Relations Centre Manager

Customer First Development Division

Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited

Email: jenny.stewart@toyota.com.au

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pardon any grammer or spelling mistakes. As you can see i don't proof read when i write something in frustration.

Other than all the emails below. All other contact with toyota for me has been via phone....

sent 3/9/2004

Hi Jenny,

Sorry for the separate email as I had already sent the other one. The issue is while decelerating in say 2nd gear or if you are going down hill and you keep it in a lower gear so as not to speed up and use the engine to keep you slowed down there is a metal scrapping metal noise which is apparent. I showed this to the guy at Artarmon Toyota who took my car and he heard it & he knows what its about and how to generate it. The thing I found interesting was to amplify the noise so you can hear it more distinctly you push the clutch in slightly not all the way so your in neutral but just slightly. Pre the gear selector cables fix everyone whom i had taken in the car had been blaming the cables for the noise but now that i have had the sorted and the noise is still there im suspicious that its something else.

As for the photo's i sent. The silver metal ring in the photo's has a gap between it and the gear lever of a 1 to 2mm or so the whole way around and while shifting gears or on bumpy roads it basically rattles away with the ring hitting the metal on the gear level. To add to this there is a slight gap between the ring and the bottom of the gear knob as shown in one of the other pictures and it happily taps away at the silver part on the gear knob as well.

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sent 13/9/2004

Hi Jenny,

Just following up regarding that scraping noise. Looks like it isnt a local problem.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20749

Some quotes from the post that seem to detail exactly what i have been indicating:

"I've also noticed the scraping/rubbing noise from the engine when I'm using engine braking "

"Hey did any of you guy's get the problem resolved, mine still makes this rubbing almost hissing noise when you are engine braking and or running on low revs, every time i get it in to the dealers they swear they have fixed it? but has been there since i got it last year."

Maybe a fix ?

I have the same problem with my CTS. But I hear this noise more when I drive with very low RPM. My CTS will visit the garage for the 15000 km service this month and the problem will be fixed than. It looks like the problem is the tensioner of the belt for the alternator, aircondition and waterpump. Some guys from the german board had the same problem.

A few guys on the forum have had their clutch replaced or other things in their transmission replaced.

It might be this. As in my early days of having my car i was told by the technican at Lander toyota that they did something with my clutch when i first indicated this noise not sure what.

"I faced the same problem two months ago. A quite loud rattling noise when easing the gas pedal. It is something different that the noise made by the engine. The dealer told me that a part of the pressure plate broke and was causing the noise. I had a complete clutch replaced under the warranty"

Cheers

Recieved 16/9/2004

Just a note to say that we have received all your emails. We have passed these to our technical group and we are waiting on some feedback. We thank you for your thoughts as they are invaluable in understanding some of the issues that you and your friends from the Sportivo Club are experiencing.

We are on the case and we will come back to you shortly.

Many thanks

Regards

Recieved 6/10/2004

Sorry for the delay in responding to your phone call.

We have arranged for the Regional Technical Manager to ring you on Tuesday (given Monday is a holiday) to arrange a mutually suitable time for your vehicle to be inspected in the next week or so at Chatswood Toyota. We understand that your decided not to drive your vehicle yesterday however if you believe that you do not wish to drive the vehicle next week, then discuss this with the Technical Manager regarding alternative transport.

Many thanks

Jenny Stewart

sent 6/10/2004

Havent heard from the Regional Technical Manager but if you could pass this on to him in the mean time and let him know I am awaiting his call it would be much appreciated.

Here is whats happened.

1) Monday last week just around the corner from work i heard this aweful grinding noise slowing from 20km/h it was reasonably loud and didn’t sound to good

2) Monday night going home from the office the car feels like im missing half my engine or as if the brakes were partially applied the whole. The car didn’t drive healthy at all

3) Continued to experience this and on Wednesday I had the opportunity to meet with some of my fellow members and I drove their cars and they drove mine and we were 100% sure something was wrong.

4) I contacted you on Thursday to indicate this concern.

5) Sunday Morning I had no option but to drive my car and was still having the problem. About 15 minutes into my drive I was slowing down approaching a set of lights just like i did on Monday of the week that had passed only to hear the same loud grinding noise again. At this point in time when i proceeded from the lights it felt like things were back to normal .... I have no idea whats going on ? I wasn’t sure if it was just me basically getting used to the problem or if it had infact freed up.

6) On Monday (2 days ago) I organised to meet with the members I had met the previous Wednesday to confirm my suspicions and to their surprise the drive of my car was back to normal and they couldnt feel the problem I was having anymore. At this point we are all extremely unsure and confused as to the exact cause of this.

Now i have absolutly no idea what was wrong, what the noise was from and the others and I are completely stumped as to what the problem was or still might be ? Im not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing as im obviously not going to know if this will be an ongoing problem or a one off or if something is actually malfunctioning ?

I still have that other metal scrapping/grinding noise which I have been expereincing the last 6+ months (I am still waiting for the experts i.e. Toyota took look at this as pre getting the gear selector cables changes they were getting the blame for this noise) and a few cabin rattles but these aren’t as big a priority as all these mechanical issues that keep croping up.

Regards

sent 13/10/2004

Hi Joe,

Thought this was relevant and information you might want to know. A few of my friends oversea's who own the corolla T-Sport are also experiencing the same problem's i am having. Here is a description i have recieved from them today:

Have the clutch pressure plate replaced. It will fix the noise problem, at least for some time. It helped in my case, unfortunatelly caused some other problems

The pressure plate is equipped with springs (angular vibration dumpers - not sure if this is the right name). They (or their mounts - can't remember) tend to get weak and cause this strange sound when you decelerate.

I've read some post from a guy working for Toyota - he wrote that this is a common problem in T-Sport. I had the clutch replaced for some other reason and this also solved the problem, so I believe the guy was right. I suspect that T-Sport clutch is not suitable for that kind of car/engine/gearbox combo - there's a big number of posts related to T-Sport clutch issues.

My current clutch problem is heavy vibration when the clutch engages. It appeared when the dealer replaced the clutch for the first time. They replaced a bunch of clutch related elements, but it didn't help. On Friday another dealer will disassemle the clutch once again. They suspect the flywheel...

The reason why i think this is relevant is there is mention of two parts i.e. the clutch & the flywheel which just happens to be what a few of my friends in Australia who have purchased Sportivo's have already replaced after noticing these issues. They have opted to purchase a TRD clutch and a TRD or TOM's flywheel with much success in eliminating this problem + other niggly issues in the gearbox/clutch area. Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated as this would appear to be a reasonably expensive option to solve this issue considering a brand new car shouldnt be burdened with such problems.

Will await the assessment tomorrow.

Regards

Edited by xoom

• 3 weeks later...

Keith

What dates are available to book the car in for its 10,000KM Service? As discussed I was hoping to get the following issues investigated/explained/resolved:

1. Gear selector cable field fix. Two vehicle reports have been logged by SST with Toyota Aus about the car. The gentleman who handles all your warranty work (Wooly I believe his name is?) is aware of the field fix and has printed out the technical details and put it on your desk. I think the car is a February 2004 build. Apparently for cars of this period the gear knob is not replaced -- can I get someone to please ensure I have the right one

2. Leather on drivers seat. The leather was restiched (at the 1000KM service) due to the leather being stretched. Keith indicated that the seat would have been replaced but I was under the impression it was repaired. The location of the initial problem with the leather was where your butt sits. The problem also now appears to be with the side of the seat as well. Please note that I do not drag my selft across the seat when entering or exiting the vehicle.

I am aware that some sportivo's have no problems with their leather on the seat bases (a few do) so I assume it is some form of fault with the seat base or cushion. I do not want to have to replace the leather (and I'm sure Toyota doesn't want to either) every 1000KM, so I hope there is a fix for this.

3. Power issues. Post the ECU/Air filter change over the car was quieter and it seemed the torque hole that existed between 3-6000RMP pretty much disappeared. Over the last month or so the cars performance seems to have reduced and the torque hole appears to have returned although sometimes the car responds as expected i.e correctly.

Can I please get the car road tested by Toyota Service, and placed on the IT to ensure that there are no error reports from the ECU or that the car is not suffering any fuel delivery or fuel/air mixture issues. I religiously use CALTEX VORTEX. Forgive me for a stupid request but can I get someone to ensure the ECU is the correct one please?

4. Clutch/Gearbox. Periodically I have problems changing at low/high revs (low:0-200RPM high: 2-6000RPM). It seems to be worse when the engine is cold but certainly occurs (when engine is warm) when entering freeway onramps etc. In relation to the clutch when the engine is warm (car stationary) with the clutch engaged (i.e foot not depressing the clutch pedal) a noise can be heard. When the clutch is disengaged (foot depressing pedal) the noise diappears. The noise is more evident when the engine is loaded i.e lights turned on, which I assume changes the balance etc of the motor. The sportivo

While it appears not all sportivos I have driven have this problem, the gear jamming/sticking problem has been reported to Toyota by a number of sportivo owners.

To Replicate: Warm up the car (engine temp midway), taking it for a drive (assumes the headlights are on). Bring the car to a stop and engage the clutch (i.e foot off clutch pedal). I suggest you leave the radio and aircon off although the noise is occassionally evident over the aircon etc. Disengage the clutch (foot on clutch pedal). You should hear the noise disappear.

**NOTE** The car did not start this behaviour until 7000KM+. The noise can be louder or softer - I don't know why.

I have driven other sportivos (who have done more KM's) that do not have this noise.

5. Grinding noise when decelerating. This noise is hard to explain but is more noticeable when decelerating. It is a noise above the engine (diff/gearbox ????). The car did not make this noise until 6000KM+. Apparently Totoyota has had some success with resolving this by replacing clutches. There's also been references to the pretensioner belt?

I have driven other sportivos (who have done more KM's) that do not have this noise.

6. Knocking noise. When the car has been driven then stopped and left sitting for 20 minutes and then restarted there is a ticking/knocking noise evident. The noise appears to be coming the passengers side, somewhere behind the front wheel i.e lower motor/gearbox. The noise disappears or becomes fainter when the accelerater is pressed ( and then released) and or when the engine warms up. It's like and oil pressure noise (ie when you have low oil pressure), the light on the dash relating to oil pressure is not lit and engine oil levels are nominal. The car commenced doing this in the last month or so.

Cheers

G

• 8 months later...
I think all issues with previous model have been fixed with the 05 model. Feels different to drive and gearbox and clutch is fine.

This isn't the case at all. I have a 05 model and it has the stiff gearbox at high rpm, noise at standstill with the clutch out which disappears when clutch pedal is depressed and lastly, it still has the grinding noise which is evident when decelerating and also when moving slowly from standstill.

Here's my email I sent to Jenny today (2/8/05)

Hi Jenny,

I am writing to you to talk about some issues I'm having with my 05 Corolla Sportivo, which has a bit over 2000kms on the clock now since I purchased it about a month and a half ago.

The first issue I have with the car is metal scraping/hissing noise when I downshift to use engine braking, which doesn't sound normal to me at all. It also makes suspect noises when moving from standstill and often at worst during gear shifts, especially from 1st to 2nd. Quality of gearshift seems to deteriorate as well.

This problem seems to be worse in the mornings. I am sure you are aware of these problems due to numerous complaints and feedback from various members of Toyota Owners Club Australia. I have mentioned this at my 1000km service but just like many other Sportivo owners experienced, the problem was simply explained as air intake noise.

Secondly, when I'm sitting idle in neutral gear with clutch pedal out, there's a noise on top of the engine noise which disappears if I depress the clutch pedal. If I let the clutch out again, it would start making the noise as soon as it reaches the friction point.

Thirdly, the steering seems to be extremely heavy at slow speeds, which I began noticing only about a couple of weeks ago.

I must admit that I only mentioned the problem with the gearbox/engine noise at my 1000km service but I thought it would be worthwhile for me to email you since I do not want to waste my time taking the car to the service centre only to be told that they could not find any problems, when it clearly isn't true.

I was very happy with the car when I first got it and I could not notice any problems mentioned above at the beginning but as time went past, these problems kept creeping up. I have this huge concern that the car may not be performing as well as it should be and that I may end up spending a lot of money in the future in repairs if this issue isn't taken care of now.

Is Toyota looking into these common issues with Corolla Sportivos and is there any solutions to fix these problems?

I would still call the service centre to get the car looked at but I would appreciate it if you could look into these issues and keep me informed on its progress.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Edited by coladuna

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether anyone's actually reading this thread anymore but another update on my pursuit to get all those issues dealt with.

I took the car in last night to get those issues looked at. The guy I talked to there was VERY friendly and after we went for a drive, he acknowledged hearing all those noises and that it doesn't sound normal at all. So my car is booked in for two days in early September (delayed due to the fact that I need a loan car and that's the earliest that they'll have one available). They'll get it looked at by engine and gearbox specialists they have there. (they don't have 'experts' during night shifts)

I'm really looking forward to September. Hopefully I can get it fixed in some way. I was very happy with the service from that guy as well. Last night, I got my wheel alignment fixed PROPERLY and also had an adjustment done to my clutch pedal. Whatever they did, it made shifting smooth so much easier!

BTW, this was at Southside Toyota service centre in Woolloogabba.

Hello all

Is me Andrew, I was the one that posted this question. I am pleased to say that I am lucky I do not seems to have any of these problem. The car is now 4months old and 4100 KM now.

It would be nice actually to meet up with you guys one evening if any of you are local to sydney. To compare is there any different to the drive with each car. And to understand these problems, people are having.

I do however suffer from bad trim, the air vent in the center is poping out, looks like the clips is broken.

Also I have some vibration noise from the front pax door, everytime a bass notes comes in from the CD.

Anyway do keep me posted of any issues.

Have a good weekend

ANDREW :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

ATT : BRISBANE DRIVERS!!!!

Lexus of Brisbane have had their 3rd strike with me and I am taking my/our business elsewhere.

I have been hearing stories from other members of inadequate levels of service. ie installing incorrectly or breaking items.

Personally they have left a little do be desired in my books also.

I am currently looking at a new service agreement with another Toyota dealership on the southside. I will keep you all posted.

If anyone has had issues with lexus apart from silver and orsk please let me know asap.

Cheers

Sads

Lexus of Brisbane have had their 3rd strike with me and I am taking my/our business elsewhere.

I have been hearing stories from other members of inadequate levels of service. ie installing incorrectly or breaking items.

I am currently looking at a new service agreement with another Toyota dealership on the southside. I will keep you all posted.

If anyone has had issues with lexus apart from silver and orsk please let me know asap.

Cheers

Sads

As mentioned with Craig, my car has not really had too many issues yet but at the 10,000km service, I had Lexus do the clutch adjustment as per the service bulliten. At the 20,000km service I had asked the to re-do the clutch as it appeared to have re-faulted.

They reluctantly did the adjustment but had told me that I was lucky because Toyota will only pay for a warranty repair once.

Maybe this is because they (Toyota) assume the dealer is fixing it properly the first time, therefore they shouldn't have to pay for it a second time.

Just a heads up.

I have spoken to the Assistant Manager of the service division of Motorama 4x4xmore (beaudesert Rd) and we will now get discount on parts and labour for anyone who is in our club aswell as the TCCA-Q club

At the moment it is only 5% but that is better than a kick in the teeth.

The TCCA-Q club has had this discount for a while but now they have also extended the offer to our club.

I will verify all of this shortly.

If you are looking to talk to someone directly ask for "AL"

Cheers

Sads

I just feel that Lexus' level of service is not as good as it was when I first went there ... plus I'm finding them harder to contact in a hurry. Last service I realised on the train I'd forgotten to tell them something, and it look 8 calls and nearly a half hour to get someone on the phone.

Have you actually tried Motorama, or seen their service facility yet?

Cheers

Sads

I just feel that Lexus' level of service is not as good as it was when I first went there ... plus I'm finding them harder to contact in a hurry. Last service I realised on the train I'd forgotten to tell them something, and it look 8 calls and nearly a half hour to get someone on the phone.

Have you actually tried Motorama, or seen their service facility yet?

never tried their service area as of yet...will tell you after the 25th ;)

but its bloody BIG i know that for a fact and they push through alot of cars...so either they are good and effective...or rush and make mistakes :(

• 3 weeks later...
never tried their service area as of yet...will tell you after the 25th ;)

but its bloody BIG i know that for a fact and they push through alot of cars...so either they are good and effective...or rush and make mistakes :(

Well, its after the 25th! Anything to report? :huh:

Edited by Buddha

Hi there,

I've just bought a 2004 Toyota Corolla Sportivo from a Toyota Dealer here in Melbourne just a couple of days ago. After screening through this forum, gosh! seems like the gear shifting problem do look scary. How do I check whether this issue in my car has been rectified or shall I drive it to the Toyota Service Centre to get it checked out?

Let's say, if I need to change to the TRD ClutchCover, Clutch Plate and Flywheel, are these covered by the Toyota warranty which I am on? As I know the gear feels very tight when I shift even at low speeds. Can anyone help please?

Cheers!

Kelvin

• 3 weeks later...

Just this afternoon I was revving 1st gear to 8000rpm and tried to shift into 2nd and it wouldnt let me shift into the gear and i had to take out the clutch and depress it again to get it into gear. Should I take back to toyota? I also am experiencing a strange sounds every now and then, but it not a rattle. And im finding it very hard to pin point the issue.

Just this afternoon I was revving 1st gear to 8000rpm and tried to shift into 2nd and it wouldnt let me shift into the gear and i had to take out the clutch and depress it again to get it into gear. Should I take back to toyota? I also am experiencing a strange sounds every now and then, but it not a rattle. And im finding it very hard to pin point the issue.

see http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=4652

• 2 weeks later...

if u buy the toyota rear lip for your stivo remember to cut a whole! toyota wont cut it for u cause they think if u buy the rear lip u have to buy their muffler which the ttip face downward. if u no cut hole, u will end up like me having a half melted rear lip!

seriously, take it back to Toyota and ask them to re-adjust your clutch. they did it on mine.....and i rev'ved it up like mad during my ECU reset and there were no problems with high revs gear shifting. ;)

seriously, take it back to Toyota and ask them to re-adjust your clutch. they did it on mine.....and i rev'ved it up like mad during my ECU reset and there were no problems with high revs gear shifting. ;)

please let us know how you go - could you please ask them for details, I have problems with my clutch at the moment.

Eck

please let us know how you go - could you please ask them for details, I have problems with my clutch at the moment.

Eck

hi,

you might want to refer to this discussion on the forum:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...utch+adjustment

it will give you a clearer idea of what's been done. basically, my clutch's position now sits higher than the brake or the accelerator level. the adjustment will alter the pressure point which erases the sticky gear problem. check it out ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 sportivo corolla and have continious problem with the gear change and the front RH door rattling with the speaker, i had my gearbox 2nd gear replaced and any other gearbox replaced under warranty at the same time. two days after these repairs my gearbox was running fine then sudden stiffen up a redicious amount, that much i couldnt hardly change gears! i also notice it was on the down shift aswell!

so now my car is going back again for the same repairs, i would think toyota would announce a recall on this issue as it is a serious matter and it involves safety in a way aswell.

thanks

zze123corolla

South Australia

probably just needed the clutch adjustment instead of stuffing with the box. Replacing the whole box wont fix the shifting issues if you dont adjust the clutch at the master cyliner :P