Oil usage

yre i thiught that 2 cos ive used well, close on a litre in 5000ks :blink:

Do you leave any oil spots when parked?? it might be dripping from a bad seal or worst case you could be burning it which I would certainly be addresing with them at your service. Thats a huge amount of oil to burn the only thing I can think is maybe as your motor and gearbox (do they share hte same oil????) bed in the componants take on a layer of oil which would effectively reduce the amount in your oil pan but a litre is a hell of a lot of oil simply for coating internals.

Furthermore, driving your car hard should not burn oil either, consider a bathurs car, they get a massive flogging yet you never see them topping the oil up in a pit stop.

Edited by Blade Hunter

hey there rollagrl .. i dont have any oil conusnption problem .. but from experts from cars that it depends on your car .. we run castrol full synthetic oil 0w 40 and far as im awear that is the only oil i would be useing and its not cheap .. we run our hillclimb cars on mobil one and had oil consumption problem and change to castrol and it went .. so we have run the sprotivo on it havd stay full all the time and never moves and yes i drive my car hard .. hope this can help u out cheers jason

im still using the toyota oil........ the dealership is very keen 2 help me even though i didnt buy the car from them, they are sending me some oil so i can keep an eye on it, its not leaking so im pretty sure its burning it.... will keep yall informed :D

Heres my tale...

Bought car new in September (70km's on the clock) and everything was cool

About 5000 - 6000km on the clock and oil light starting to stay on a little longer than normal...

checked oil, and low (although still within normal range)

Car just got back from 800km round trip (Brisbane - Bundaberg) and oil now under low limit (current 9200km)

Have called Toyota and they just said to bring it in for a service....

Will keep updated

BTW - Still using stocko oil...

afyfe,

you done your 5K service yet?

fyi - 15K service is optional according to the toyota service techs.

btw - has anyone used penrite 10w40? thinking of using that on my 10K oil change

afyfe,

you done your 5K service yet?

fyi - 15K service is optional according to the toyota service techs.

btw - has anyone used penrite 10w40? thinking of using that on my 10K oil change

No 5K service, as Toyota dude at 1000k "Nuts & bolts" service told me that next due at 10K.... Service departments confirmed this when I started shopping for prices....

Will be checking with local boys (Danthuyer, Buddha etc) as to what they use here, cause I will be doing the 10K at the same dealership they went to ....

Reports I have heard from Europe & the states is that the 2zzge does burn a little oil. Some guys in the states with the Celica have been told they should check the oil each month or so for this reason.

I have also heard from hard core tuners in states that this particular engine is very dependent on being run in not too softly. That if this engine is not run in hard enough the rings dont seal 100% and therefore oil consumption occurs. That is not to say you cain it new but do not baby it either.

The guys in the states that use this engine for racing seem to favour the method of breaking the engine in with some full acceleration spurts up to just before lift in lower gears for the first 20km so as allow everything to bed in properly.

If you see excessive oil consumption your first stop should be Toyota!

I restrained myself for the first 50km before I hit lift.  It was the day I picked the car up though.  :lol:

But, I don't burn any oil now (~15,000km).

I hit lift on the second corner from the caryard :P

I got a lift to collect my car B)

Hey, without the "L" badge, I need to take any lift I can get :lol:

On a more serious note, I had the oil and filter changed at 5k on the wagon and will continue to do so every 5k in the future, not because I'm pedantic, but my last car ('98 Starlet) was driven hard for some 160,000kms and was still running sweetly when I traded her in, and I believe this was due (in part) to keeping fresh oil in the sump.

Its a habit I picked up from my father ... our family Kingswood wasn't the best looking piece of metal/rust in the street, but her motor ran long and strong. :)

Edited by Buddha