engine oil

trd

In Britain Toyota for years used to recomend DUCKHAMS 10w40 Semi-Synthetic in all none turbo'd cars under 2000cc

10w 40 semi synth.... used valvoline but have been told that castrol magna tech is actually not that bad either, good for high reving engines due to its cling on factor... less damage on start up.

Penrite is always good value too... but 5w40... 5w is too thin and once the car ages abit and seals shrink, i dont want to clean oil stains off the drive way.

but 5w40... 5w is too thin and once the car ages abit and seals shrink, i dont want to clean oil stains off the drive way.

Well said, A very good point.

People have gone on in recent times that the thiner the better , but as you have quite rightly stated not when a car engine gets older.

... but 5w40... 5w is too thin and once the car ages abit and seals shrink, i dont want to clean oil stains off the drive  way.

Dudes,

The 5W part is the Cold Viscosity.

Generally the lower the better as it flows more freely at start up and low temperatures.

The 40 part is the Hot Viscosity.

Should be OK for any car.

I'm sure someone will correct me though ! :P

BTW I have been using Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 Synthetic.

Seems to be OK, but I don't have lift ! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by rolla02

no, i understand the oil rating system...if the cold rating is to low, i leaks from your seals as the seals shrink in the cold too.

How do i know... the sportivo is not my first car....... i like and drive old cars (mini, datsuns etc) and if you use to thin an oil it always leaks, even after an engine rebuild.

You could use 5w 40 in the corolla but in years to come you may also experience excessive bearing wear as the oil flows to quick to coat the bearings when you start the vechile.

10 w 40 is fine for most performance cars but thiner can be beneficial for track days or even hard driving, not stop start city short trip stuff

all from my experience and knowledge from previous cars

no, i understand the oil rating system...if the cold rating is to low, i leaks from your seals as the seals shrink in the cold too.

How do i know... the sportivo is not my first car....... i like and drive old cars (mini, datsuns etc) and if you use to thin an oil it always leaks, even after an engine rebuild.

You could use 5w 40 in the corolla but in years to come  you may also experience excessive bearing wear as the oil flows to quick to coat the bearings when you start the vechile.

10 w 40 is fine for most performance cars but thiner can be beneficial for track days or even hard driving, not stop start city short trip stuff

all from my experience and knowledge from previous cars

So would you say that 10w30 is the best for our Stivo if we're doing mainly short trips?

which one engine oil is good for our car? 100kw vvti and 140kw VVTLI?

motul? fuch? shell? what rates is good for us? 5w30? 5w40?

10W40? 15W50? which one is worth?

cheers

TRD

Hey TRD,

i'd use Penrite HPR 5 - Semi-synthetic SAE 5W-40, on my 10K oil change..

The guy's are spot on "SAE 5W/10W-30", designed for low load applications or for winter use in extreme cold (it's an all purpose fuel recommended by toyota)

just my 5cents worth

• 5 years later...

I drive a Vitz 1.5 Factory TRD turbo. i have around 55,000km on my clock and my engine is quite new. Its the 1nz-fe engine with a TRD Turbo kit. I have few oils available to choose between. I am fast driver and I would like to know which one is the best for my engine and to get better performance as well. The oils to choose between are: Motul 8100 Excess (5w40) , Motul Turbolight (10w40) , Castrol Edge Sport (5w40) , Shell Helix Ultra (5w40).

I use the TRD oil filter.

A quick response would be appreciated as my servicing is due soon...

Thx TRD TEAM...

I drive a Vitz 1.5 Factory TRD turbo. i have around 55,000km on my clock and my engine is quite new. Its the 1nz-fe engine with a TRD Turbo kit. I have few oils available to choose between. I am fast driver and I would like to know which one is the best for my engine and to get better performance as well. The oils to choose between are: Motul 8100 Excess (5w40) , Motul Turbolight (10w40) , Castrol Edge Sport (5w40) , Shell Helix Ultra (5w40).

I use the TRD oil filter.

A quick response would be appreciated as my servicing is due soon...

Thx TRD TEAM...

Absolutely Castrol Edge Sport 5w40 plus TRD (or Toyota original) filter....no contest.

My rolla gets castrol magnatec 10-30 from memory. I like to look after my things, none of this cheap **** $15 bottle of oil crap.

My weekender uses Royal Purple though i've heard/experienced some engines don't like it. My old weekender used to burn royal purple (vq35de) however didn't burn castrol edge sport (also quite liked this oil).

Mobil 1 gold bottle used to be goodstuff too but was recently-ish changed to not a true full synthetic.

Imho castrol magnatec will be find for most rolla's barring stivos that may see constant high rpm.

Never tried motul..would like to one time.

All of the above was just from feel and looking at the oil during oil change, i never had oil analysis done.

at work we use shell helix hx7 10w30 or something like that but when i do back yardies i only use penrite products.

in my car i use penrte sin10 (10w70) but mines not a 1zz motor ive got the old but trusty 4ag with $10g's spent on it and 20000km driven with it, including track an strip and its still as fresh as the day i first started it after the build

previous : dont know - most likely a mineral as serviced by a mobile mechanic

current : nulon 10w40

how does it compare to previous : running seems to maybe be better when cold though could be in my head.. even though its full synth.

has anyone else used a thinner synth oil? good/bad?