Aurion intermediate shaft spline

boxerboy

I had mine replaced under warranty. It lists as a $400+ job otherwise.

Symptoms: very slight knock noticed at very low speeds, when moving off, or turning slowly.

The fellow at the parts/service counter said it was due to the manufacturing process, the splines weren't right when made.

First I've heard of it.

Symptoms: very slight knock noticed at very low speeds, when moving off, or turning slowly.

The fellow at the parts/service counter said it was due to the manufacturing process, the splines weren't right when made.

First I've heard of it.

I think I have the same problem with my Presara. I have noticed a slight knock and the car not rolling smoothly when turning at very low speeds. I have wondered whether it was normal and thought nothing of it as this only happens every now and then. Thanks heaps for posting this - I'll call my local Toyota Service Department soon to see whether I can get the problem fixed under warranty.

Cheers! :clap:

Edited by byw

too bad im out of warranty, hit 100k mark this weekend. Have same problem, now i know it is the problem. I thought it is a feature. :)) Looking forward for new aurion and will give this one to my gf, then blame her for knock :))

• Like 1

Just called my local Toyota Dealer and they are putting an order in for the replacement parts before booking my car in to have them fitted.... :D

Edited by byw

too bad im out of warranty, hit 100k mark this weekend.

Sorry to hear that your car is just out of warranty. :( Is it still under 3 years old? I am sure Toyota will still honour the warranty if your car is still under 3 years old and had just reached 100,000kms, given that this is a known issue with their cars (the Service Rep said that they have fixed a few RAVs as well!!). Can't hurt to ask!! Good luck. ;)

i have this problem as well, did they say it gets worse if you leave it or will it break or what-have-you?

No further info I'm afraid. I didn't get to see the part, but if the spline wears, causing a knock, it can only continue to wear at a faster rate as the interface becomes more sloppy.

The knock is only slight...my wife didn't notice it at all. I rang about it and they immediately mentioned the intermediate shaft and said they'd order the bits. I've therefore presumed that this is a known issue.

No steering shake on braking noticed. The knock was "very" minor but noticeable nonetheless.

I didn't check the steering wheel freeplay. The car is fine, works well, except for this small knock. it's sorted now though.

First I've heard of it.

is that the knock when you just start to move you car ? i think i got the same problem ..

First I've heard of it.

is that the knock when you just start to move you car ? i think i got the same problem ..

Don't confuse the shaft problem with the ABS check.

Are you referring to the sound you get when you take off for the first time after starting your car, and it does not occur afterwards when you get your car rolling?

If so, this is to do with the ABS. Every time you start your engine and then drive off the ABS performs a self-check. The service manual best describes this:

When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check. During the initial check, the operating sound of solenoid valve and motor can be heard from the engine compartment, but this is not a malfunction.

First I've heard of it.

It's a knock you can feel, as opposed to a noise you can hear.

Well... depending on how sensitive your hands/feet are, you can actually feel the ABS actuator doing its quick test in some cases. Maybe I'm weird, but I can feel when mine does that test as I drive out of my street.

On a side note, I've had multiple occasions when reversing out of my garage, I've accelerated a little then applied the brakes to show down at the top. In that process, I've had the ABS do it's self test with my foot on the brake. It ends up making the weirdest sound/feeling. Kind of like a spring being flicked under tension.

Well... depending on how sensitive your hands/feet are, you can actually feel the ABS actuator doing its quick test in some cases. Maybe I'm weird, but I can feel when mine does that test as I drive out of my street.

On a side note, I've had multiple occasions when reversing out of my garage, I've accelerated a little then applied the brakes to show down at the top. In that process, I've had the ABS do it's self test with my foot on the brake. It ends up making the weirdest sound/feeling. Kind of like a spring being flicked under tension.

More importantly, it's a knock that didn't pre exist, that has developed over a short period. I'm guessing the abs thing should always be there?

same !!!!!

I would be very surprised if anyone has driven an Aurion more than 5 times and can not feel/acknowledge the ABS check.... Although I am only basing this on my on car, it is easily noticeable. I would liken it to the feeling to get when you disengage a cheaply installed aftermarket cruse control.

• 2 weeks later...

So a question to those that have this problem, do you get the knocking noise when your you first tap your accelerator once the car is stationary or rolling really slow?

I have noticed a knocking that is getting slightly more noticeable over the last month. I primarily notice it when there is that initial weight transfer from front to rear at low speeds. Also at low speeds, going over slight bumps can create this knocking sounds.

I also get that light knocking sound when turning the wheel (quick test is to test the free-play in the steering wheel when stationary by lightly moving it side to side) at slow speeds.

I know the last one I mentioned there ties in with this intermediate shaft spline, but I don't know if the issue I mentioned above that can tie into it somehow as well.

My car is currently in for its 75,000km service with Toyota and I have mentioned the issue to them as well.

My once perfect Aurion is now showing up all these issues. I must say it did seem to take a while given how much I like to give it a push.

Well, just an update on this. I picked my car up then and spoke with the service manager there. He said that they certainly notice the knocking sound that is there and took if for a couple of drives to try and narrow it down. He also mentioned that they got a bar out to help test movement in the suspension related components.

He said that the service technician there thinks that it is quite possibly caused by the aftermarket bushes I have fitted. My first through were the new rear sway bar bushes and thought that he has to be joking. He then mentioned that he hasn't really seen bushes like that before... then I remembered the offset castor bushes that I have fitted.

I mentioned them and the reason I have them and he said that they found that there was a little bit of play within them which could quite possibly be causing the knocking sound that they and I could here.

It nearly seems like they are shifting the blame here since also as well in the report they handed me, it mentions "possible non genuine bushes causing knocking", which makes it sound like non genuine is the cause of it.

However with that said, it does in fact seem quite plausible. The knocking sound I noticed isn't coming from up close like the steering shaft like the problem mentioned by the OP. Instead, mine is coming from near the front wheels and kind of sounds like the brake callipers are not done up properly. Given this information, I think my next step would be to take my front wheels off and have a look at the bushes myself since it helps me narrow it down possibly. The main reason it makes sense is because inside the bushes are a metal sleeve in which the supporting bolt goes through as can be seen in the following picture. If it is coming from that, then I need to figure out some way to stop it.

superpro.th.jpg

And another post.

Still on my caffeine high (thanks to a 710mL can of Rockstar earlier today), I decided to do a quick test to see if I can find the knocking. Lying down on the ground next to the drivers side wheel with the door open, stretching my leg up into the air and using my foot to jiggle the steering wheel, leaving my right arm/hand free (damn I'm creative)... I found the culprit AFTER getting my car checked out.

I used their previous suggestion as a staring point and I grabbed onto the bolt going through the offset bushes themselves and could feel the knocking. It was very light though and seemed like this wasn't it. Thinking about what else I could try holding onto, I saw the power steering linkage. I figured why not, and grabbed onto that and jiggled the wheel. Then I REALLY felt it. The following video shows it narrowed down to the source:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

It appears to be the ball joint on the power steering rack. For those with a little more experience, can this 'steering rack end sub-assembly' be replaced with the steering rack on the car, or is this going to be some epic job. Just that I would definitely take this in to get changed and wonder what labour is involved in addition to the estimated $150-$200 for both the arms + new boot etc. And more-so, if I get the part, who do I take it to around the Brisbane area? I've only had one issue before with a power steering rack and I took that to B.H.S.S. but that was after I took it off the car.

steer.jpg

That's really interesting Daryl.

I'm wondering if you've come across a new fault or if yours is just a once off.

I'll have a look at mine next week when I'm changing my brakes.

But I think my issue is the original idea cause I can't actually 'hear' the knock. It's more that I 'feel' the knock through the steering wheel.

Although it could be that I'm just deaf. Lol.