Muffler

Hi all! I'm a noob in this forum. I'm just wondering if it is possible to get a canon type exhaust around 3" fitted on the new corollas... does the mandrel bent affect it? and do we need to cut a semi circle on the bumper in order for the cancn muffler to stick out properly?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all! I'm a noob in this forum. I'm just wondering if it is possible to get a canon type exhaust around 3" fitted on the new corollas... does the mandrel bent affect it? and do we need to cut a semi circle on the bumper in order for the cancn muffler to stick out properly?

hey there. i had one fitted not too long ago but i took it off as my car lost power and the noise seriously got to me. way too loud.

u dont need to cut a semi circle in your bumper, no... it'll just hang below your bumper. although u can cut a hole if u want to make it sit up a bit. good for bum barking incase ur scrape ur exhaust.

if u get one with a 3" inlet, there will be a little modifying to make it fit to the 2 or 2 1/4inch" stock pipings... but 3" will sound loud, especially cabin noise wise.

hope that helps. and welcome to the forums! :)

I'm thinking of getting those generic mufflers that you can get on ebay for like $60..it's got like HKS badge on it.lol. dont think it's HKS though. Well, do you rekn it's dumb getting one? i dont want my car to lose power and noise wise....lets just hope that my neighbours wont start complaining. I was thinking of getting an air filter fitted in but the guy at auto barn told me if i wanted one....i can't just get any type...(i was thinking of getting k&n) apparently, for corollas, there's a electrical unit thing mounted on the airbox...and we have to get those air filter that can acommodate that. Does anyone know where i can get k&n air filters?? That guy said it'll cost me $400 to get the Blitz air filter....way outta my budget....

With Airfilters you can go for the Blitz sonic ram intake - but that would just be sucking in hot air from under the bonnet. A better option is to use a cold air intake - Do a search on " CAI ", you'll see a number of different options but most have gone for the TRD item.

A cheap alternative is to use a replacement drop in filter. Not quite as effective as a CAI but still makes a difference - Usually about $150 for a K&N or similar.

IMO I wouldn't get the cannon muffler. Wait and spend a little more for something better that will give you better results. The canon will drone, upset your neighbours and most probably result in power loss due to insufficient back pressure.

With Airfilters you can go for the Blitz sonic ram intake - but that would just be sucking in hot air from under the bonnet.  A better option is to use a cold air intake - Do a search on " CAI ", you'll see a number of different options but most have gone for the TRD item.

A cheap alternative is to use a replacement drop in filter.  Not quite as effective as a CAI but still makes a difference - Usually about $150 for a K&N or similar.

IMO I wouldn't get the cannon muffler.  Wait and spend a little more for something better that will give you better results.  The canon will drone, upset your neighbours and most probably result in power loss due to insufficient back pressure.

yup... deffinately. lost of power as i've experienced. but if you want to gain power, CAI's are the way to go. if you're low on budget, get one by the brand of simoto. same thing as a TRD cai , except no TRD badge and that... about a 7kw increase. You'll love it ;)

With Airfilters you can go for the Blitz sonic ram intake - but that would just be sucking in hot air from under the bonnet.  A better option is to use a cold air intake - Do a search on " CAI ", you'll see a number of different options but most have gone for the TRD item.

A cheap alternative is to use a replacement drop in filter.  Not quite as effective as a CAI but still makes a difference - Usually about $150 for a K&N or similar.

IMO I wouldn't get the cannon muffler.  Wait and spend a little more for something better that will give you better results.  The canon will drone, upset your neighbours and most probably result in power loss due to insufficient back pressure.

yup... deffinately. lost of power as i've experienced. but if you want to gain power, CAI's are the way to go. if you're low on budget, get one by the brand of simoto. same thing as a TRD cai , except no TRD badge and that... about a 7kw increase. You'll love it ;)

u have pics of that simota kit, installed and pre-installed? part number?

I viewed a couple of examples of the Simota CAI at our door sill install meet and it looks more like the AEM unit then the TRD one. It has a more pronounced bend in it and the pipe is marginally thinner, and is just metallic, no paint, but what do you expect for ~$200. I still intend to get myself one of these to see a Dyno comparison to the TRD unit.

As dylan said we need some Dyno results from these guys that have other brands of CAI installed on their car.

Thie wil GREATLY help the community into deciding which is the best value for money intake for their car ;)

Another interesting one I'm trying to get more info on is the BMC Dinamic Intake System ( BMC Airfilters ). I looked into their Carbon Dynamic Airbox some time ago, but although great, wasn't of any value because being made of Carbon Fibre it's price was in the $800 ball park.

Their New Dinamic Intake System however looks to be a plastic copy of the carbon unit. Basically how this works is it replaces your airbox and then has a nice big pipe leading out behind your bumper. The Air deflector within the box then increases the air velocity travelling through the pod filter within the box. If it's priced right, it should represent good value, I'll keep you all posted.

Yes it fits both 1zz-fe and 2zz-ge. Only if you're putting one on a 1zz-fe, you must also remove the resonator/water bottle the sits underneath the airbox to make room for the pod.

No the 2zz-ge engine bay doesn't have more room, it just doesn't have the resonator attached to the air intake like the 1zz-fe.

The resonator isn't in the engine bay, it's actually just outside behind the bottom of the passenger side headlight.

If you look at your air intake, you'll notice at the section where the pipe becomes narrower before entering the box, it also branches down to the white plastic resonator/water bottle. Having this there doesn't allow enough room for the pod which is positioned just below the headlight with a CAI.

Cheers

No the 2zz-ge engine bay doesn't have more room, it just doesn't have the resonator attached to the air intake like the 1zz-fe. 

The resonator isn't in the engine bay, it's actually just outside behind the bottom of the passenger side headlight. 

If you look at your air intake, you'll notice at the section where the pipe becomes narrower before entering the box, it also branches down to the white plastic resonator/water bottle.  Having this there doesn't allow enough room for the pod which is positioned just below the headlight with a CAI.

Cheers

i see i will keep that in mind wen i install my CAI, cheers IZZ-FE

• 6 months later...
my mates car has it although i dont have any pics of it...

a quick search on google brought this up however...

http://www.dpmotorsport.com/parts/simota/home.htm

i think some members on this forum have the simota kit installed as well.

does the 98-01 corolla model.. fit into our car?

http://www.dpmotorsport.net/parts/simota/toyota.htm

dont get cannon muffler

dont get cannon muffler

its not a muffler..

press the link.. its an intake, right??.. :P

i know cannon is bad for our car... done a lot of search on this forum.. ;)

I would feel like a twit after reading all this bagging of the mighty cannons/milo tins if it wasnt for my FI plans.

My 3 inch lipped cannon is loud as buggery but i didnt exactly loose any power, although i havnt yet tried a muffler more suited to the N/A 1zz with the rest of my mods.

Although i would say, right now my car would probably go better with a more restrictive muffler and if you have all the windows up at around 2800rpm in 5th (especially going uphill) its too noisy even for me (i take preference in loud V8s hehe). Scrapping is also an issue (would be even worse if my car was dropped).

Listen to the other blokes and go a magna flow type system, it will benefit you more.

don't get a canon it drones at crusing speed, i have a magnaflow twin-tip loud up hills ( hurts ur ears actually) but the sound is great.

At cruising speed u cant hear the exhuast at all, sounds like it has the stock one on it :blink:

don't get a canon it drones at crusing speed, i have a magnaflow twin-tip loud up hills ( hurts ur ears actually) but the sound is great.

At cruising speed u cant hear the exhuast at all, sounds like it has the stock one on it  :blink:

yer i hate noisy .. only like it loud at high revs