DIY headlight delay-off function with a relay harness

chicken

Ok I came across this delay off feature for the first time in an A-class merc loan car with HIDs. I found it very useful every time i parked the car at night, as it would light up the garage when i got out of the car :D So I looked into getting this feature in my corolla!

There are (at least) two ways make a delay off switch: diodes or a time-delay-relay (TDR). I chose to use a TDR for the adjustable timer and I didn't want to modify the factory wiring. The original plan was to change the factory relay with a TDR but found that the corolla headlight switch doesn't use a relay so this guide will show how I modified an ebay HID relay harness with delay off function.

THIS IS A GUIDE ONLY I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ISSUES THAT MAY ARISE FROM THIS.

materials used:

1x ebay HID relay harness (eg. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Relay-Wire-Wiring-H...item4a9b3f92aa)

1x wolstentech time-delay-relay (http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timede...edelayrelay.php)

female spade connectors (already provided with the Wolstentech TDR)

pliers

soldering iron

electrical tape or heatshrink wrap

below is a diagram of the ebay relay harness:

post-8229-1256480776_thumb.png

below is a diagram of the ebay harness modified for the TDR (following wolstentech instructions http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timede...nstructions.php):

post-8229-1256481337_thumb.png

the diagram is quite different (TDR is a solid state relay so to run cooler it switches the negative side -low side). You have to remove the ebay relay and slide the spade connectors out of the plug. With a small flat head screw driver push into the small space as shown until the wires can be pulled out on the otherside.

post-8229-1256482241_thumb.jpg

post-8229-1256482281_thumb.jpg

post-8229-1256482316_thumb.jpg

post-8229-1256482340_thumb.jpg

now you can cut and join/solder the wires according to the TDR diagram and plug it to the TDR:

post-8229-1256483196_thumb.jpg

post-8229-1256483381_thumb.jpg

the TDR has 0.25sec delay off by default and you can extend it by turning the screw labelled "O" clockwise (i had to turn it 30 times to get decent delay >30sec)

post-8229-1256483560_thumb.jpg

then wire it up!

post-8229-1256483836_thumb.jpg

post-8229-1256483859_thumb.jpg

post-8229-1256483910_thumb.jpg

post-8229-1256483961_thumb.jpg

post-8229-1256484002_thumb.jpg

The relay harness only needs the passenger side H7 plug for input to power up both headlights.

Make sure the input wire (blue/red wire that plugs to "1" of the TDR) is plugged into the black side of the H7 plug:

post-8229-1256484192_thumb.jpg

I just stuck the TDR on the headlight with double sided tape

post-8229-1256486195_thumb.jpg

test video!

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

this will delay-off the low beams whenever they are on eg. flashing your high beams (which is good for protecting HID bulbs). the delay will cancel if the low beams are turned back on within the delay period.

once again, im not responsible for any damage from following this guide :) im no expert on electronics so comments/suggestions are welcomed.

Edited by chicken

It will light up both. The factory H7 plug from the headlight only serves as a switch now. Power is drawn from the battery directly. So it sort of works like this:

switch lights on -> h7 plug says: "Lights on boys!" -> relay draws power from battery -> power goes to ballasts -> ballasts fire up HID.

Good work on the DIY Chicken! I was going to do this.. but since you say it delays the low beams, I don't think that it'd be suitable for my car since it uses the same globe for both high and low beam functions.

So we will need 2 of each then ?

2 x relay

2 x TDR

One set for each side?

You can just pick up a relay harness that can drive two bulbs from one relay and then replace that relay with a single TDR. So only one of each is needed.

The TDR is rated for 10A continuous, so if you're headlights combined don't add up to more than 120 watts, then you will be fine.

Good information supplied there chicken. Very handy for those that want it. I can activate this feature on my Aurion through the ECU, but I have serious trust issues with it :lol:. I can imagine coming back one day to a flat battery because something decided to fail.

Pretty cool!! Q: what if u wanna turn your lights off in a hurry say for eg police or hiding from someone or ur being followed? Lol

haha yeah you'll have to pop the bonnet to reduce the delay. unless you move the relay into the cabin.

So will doing this light up both the passenger and driver side low beams of just the passenger side?

it will light up both like ken33f said :)

It will light up both. The factory H7 plug from the headlight only serves as a switch now. Power is drawn from the battery directly. So it sort of works like this:

switch lights on -> h7 plug says: "Lights on boys!" -> relay draws power from battery -> power goes to ballasts -> ballasts fire up HID.

Good work on the DIY Chicken! I was going to do this.. but since you say it delays the low beams, I don't think that it'd be suitable for my car since it uses the same globe for both high and low beam functions.

This guide is actually ideal for your application as the TDR has a second input for the bixenon solenoid but in your case H4 highs. I not familiar with how H4s behave but there is a relay harness for H4s with a diode built in, I'll find the link for you.

So we will need 2 of each then ?

2 x relay

2 x TDR

One set for each side?

You can just pick up a relay harness that can drive two bulbs from one relay and then replace that relay with a single TDR. So only one of each is needed.

The TDR is rated for 10A continuous, so if you're headlights combined don't add up to more than 120 watts, then you will be fine.

Good information supplied there chicken. Very handy for those that want it. I can activate this feature on my Aurion through the ECU, but I have serious trust issues with it :lol:. I can imagine coming back one day to a flat battery because something decided to fail.

Thanks! Good point about the rating, as I originally wanted this to power up my halogens. Looks like it will be ok? (55w x2= 110w)

I found this auto-light-on kit with the time delay off feature. if only i found it earlier lol

http://www.visionsecurity.com.tw/products_page2_62_64.html

Anymore info on this product?

Seems pretty vague the description ...... :rolleyes:

im interested to know too. nothing on google. i only want these functions:

10.Interior light control (programmable feature)

11.Auto exterior lights on when R/C unlock, if connected the unlock wire (programmable feature)