Annoying hard water marks!

Alonso

Hi,

I'm just wondering whether anyone has a remedy/product for removing PERMANENT water droplets that settle on the windscreen???

I love having a clean shiny car... even my windows seem perfect from far away however when you get close to them you cant help but notice the water marks......

any real solutions would make my day :D

Chrs,

J.Alonso

Edited by J.ALonso

Armour All Glass Cleaner plus newspaper :) works for me :)

That CRC Glass Cleaner is also really good stuff. When I clean glass, I either use that or a 50/50 mix of metho and water.

prod_1200276076.jpg

Hi,

I'm just wondering whether anyone has a remedy/product for removing PERMANENT water droplets that settle on the windscreen???

I love having a clean shiny car... even my windows seem perfect from far away however when you get close to them you cant help but notice the water marks......

any real solutions would make my day :D

Chrs,

J.Alonso

CRC glass cleaner is v.good. BUT what ever you do, do not use paper products to wipe!! Most (All?)Paper cleaning towels etc etc are derived from timber and are harsh (Potential to scratch). Use an old nappy (Clean :D ) or the like. I must admit I do like the look of a sparkling Aurion!

Regards

Kaptainpeanut

Paper won't scratch hardened glass like a windscreen, nor will it scratch a 20c drinking glass.

50/50 metho/water and newspaper+elbow grease, and streak free clean for all mirrors. No reason an old tried method is going to stop working.

Also works well in the house on polished floors.(1/50 metho/water) ;)

I do not recommend anything mentioned below. I am just stating it... so you have been warned.

I have found one of the best glass cleaners I have used is.... Throttle Body Cleaner. I was trying once to clean my shower screen and it had a serious case of water marks all over. I tried everything to clean it up with no success. Out of sheer desperation, I got my can of throttle body cleaner and sprayed the glass and immediately wiped. It cleaned the water marks off with ease. Also smells nice (I love the smell of it.... not healthy I know).

Now here is the warning.... it is really corrosive to your paintwork. Get some of this on your paint and you'll be sorry. If I was to ever attempt this on the car, I would stand well away from the car facing the opposite direction and spray the TBC onto a cloth and then use this to clean the parts of the glass you need to as quickly as you can. Also trying to avoid edges due to the potential to ruin your paint.

I do not recommend anything mentioned below. I am just stating it... so you have been warned.

I have found one of the best glass cleaners I have used is.... Throttle Body Cleaner. I was trying once to clean my shower screen and it had a serious case of water marks all over. I tried everything to clean it up with no success. Out of sheer desperation, I got my can of throttle body cleaner and sprayed the glass and immediately wiped. It cleaned the water marks off with ease. Also smells nice (I love the smell of it.... not healthy I know).

Now here is the warning.... it is really corrosive to your paintwork. Get some of this on your paint and you'll be sorry. If I was to ever attempt this on the car, I would stand well away from the car facing the opposite direction and spray the TBC onto a cloth and then use this to clean the parts of the glass you need to as quickly as you can. Also trying to avoid edges due to the potential to ruin your paint.

Mate, as you said, that is bloody dangerous!! i use that stuff on my motorbikes to clean up engines, etc but as you said, CAUTION with paintwork is imperative. "dont try this at home" would be my approach to that

cheers

Just to add to this.

Does anyone else clay their windscreens? I did it once and it worked quite well. lol

all the time :)

try this: Clay your windows, and then give it a spray with meguiars ultimate quik detailer :P leaves rain x for dead :)

Be very careful how you use "normal" garage solvents.

Avoid any welding on areas where they've been used. Brake cleaner is especially deadly when heated.

Mustard gas made easy.

Paper won't scratch hardened glass like a windscreen, nor will it scratch a 20c drinking glass.

50/50 metho/water and newspaper+elbow grease, and streak free clean for all mirrors. No reason an old tried method is going to stop working.

Also works well in the house on polished floors.(1/50 metho/water) ;)

Paper certainly will mark glass, not a slashing great mark (Cut your hand recently?) - Contact the NGV, Museums they will tell you - any ceramic glazes (harder than auto glass are not cleaned with paper) - Why is this so? Secondly, having worked in the auto detailing industry wouldn't touch glass with paper, particularly newspaper. Woven material is much more efficient too

Regards

Kaptainpeanut

Buy some body shop compund and cut the glass with it using a buff. We do this and work and in 85% of the cases we see it works a treat. Only ever seen a few cases where we haven't been able to remove water scale.

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd update this with what I now use. I've been removing marks and swirls from my paint over the last few weeks with Meguiars Ultimate Compound with a foam applicator. I decided to have a go on the glass. I have used a total of 5 'coats'. Once the product has turned clear and the abrasive has broken down completely apply another coat of it. You may need to use more or less depending on the severity of the marking. Once finished, wipe it away with a microfibre towel. The results are amazing. The marks were nasty and heavy but have 99% cleared up. The windows look great.