Oil in spark plug tubes

rubberowner

I had oil in the spark plug tubes of my '89 SV21, and I hear it happens often with all engines designed this way. I researched it and had a go at fixing it. I read a lot of posts describing the procedure but there were very few actual photos. So here are some I took. Hope they you if you are attempting this job on their own. It's not too hard.

A 30mm socket is required to remove the four nuts holding the rocker cover on. Vice grips worked unscrewing the tubes.

You want to clean the thread and re-seal the bottom of the tubes with a high temp sealant, and replace the seals at the top of the tubes. A set of these was $25 at Repco.

Kind regards, rubber.

post-17967-1267358993_thumb.jpg

post-17967-1267359019_thumb.jpg

post-17967-1267359044_thumb.jpg

post-17967-1267359058_thumb.jpg

post-17967-1267359078_thumb.jpg

post-17967-1267359099_thumb.jpg

post-17967-1267359131_thumb.jpg

Edited by rubberowner

I had oil in the spark plug tubes of my '89 SV21, and I hear it happens often with all engines designed this way. I researched it and had a go at fixing it. I read a lot of posts describing the procedure but there were very few actual photos. So here are some I took. Hope they you if you are attempting this job on their own. It's not too hard.

A 30mm socket is required to remove the four nuts holding the rocker cover on. Vice grips worked unscrewing the tubes.

You want to clean the thread and re-seal the bottom of the tubes with a high temp sealant, and replace the seals at the top of the tubes. A set of these was $25 at Repco.

Kind regards, rubber.

Thanks for that, rubberowner. Can I ask, do you remember what temperature your sealant was rated to? Was it RTV or threadlocking compound?

Hi guys,

To respond to your question about the sealant, I don't know what is the right stuff. I have just used the same sealant as that with which I re-sealed the rocker cover gasket. Can't think of the name, but it has lasted a couple of weeks so far! I will keep an eye on it. If oil reappears in the tubes I will bother to find the right adhesive for the job. I know how to do it now! (I did read that a threadlocking compound is probably better, but didn't have any on hand)

As for a mechanic who can do it right, I have no idea. I have yet to find a mech who I can trust.

Which is why I am trying to learn how to do it myself. It's not rocket science.

Kind regards,

rubberowner

• 4 months later...

rubberowner, great post with the photos. I think I have the same problem so am probably have a go at fixing once it's all clear to me. Your photo 'tubes exposed' does not show any seals at the top of the tubes? This doesn't quite make sense to me, I thought the oil would be leaking in at the bottom of the tubes and therefore expected that this is where the seals would be. Appreciate it if you could clear this point up for me.

rubberowner, great post with the photos. I think I have the same problem so am probably have a go at fixing once it's all clear to me. Your photo 'tubes exposed' does not show any seals at the top of the tubes? This doesn't quite make sense to me, I thought the oil would be leaking in at the bottom of the tubes and therefore expected that this is where the seals would be. Appreciate it if you could clear this point up for me.

The top tube seals are under the 30mm nuts. It seals the gap between the underside of the valve cover and the top of the tube. When you take it off, you'll know what we're talking about.

Yes, it generally does leak in from the bottom - from the old factory 'thread' sealant wearing/degrading. You can try tightening the top valve cover nuts a little and see if the oil leak stops - if it does, then you know its the top seals. If it doesn't then it's most probably the other end but seal up both ends as safe measure. You'll be fine using RTV or the like - DO NOT use a threadlocker like loctite. Loctite doesn't seal and you you want sealant to do the sealing - so it's not by how tight you can do the tube up.

When taking the tubes out, be careful with the pipe wrench/multi grips/ vise grips; you don't want to and gouge the tube up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this afternoon I completed the procedure described in this post. All good fun (-:

Thanks again the rubberowner for the photos and Sv_21 for tips, it all fell into place as I went.

I ended up using "Permatex Hi-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker" for the bottom of the spark plug tubes and the head cover, I'm still not 100% on whether this was the right / best option...

A quick drive felt good, however I'm letting it sit overnight (to let the RTV fully set) and will have a good test drive tommorrow.

The car has been mine since 1994 and now it's the daughters so I want it to be in the best nick possible.

Cheers

CamryBug

• 2 years later...

Thanks to all the above contributors for the pics and descriptions. Now I can tackle the problem of oil in the spark plug tubes. What drew my attention to the problem was that I has a spark plug centre ceramic piece come loose from its mounting and I was getting a popping noise from the spark plug tube.