Kluger key for less than $40

whofan

I thought I'd share you with you a great experience I had recently.

I bought my Kluger and too late discovered it came with only one key... 2 remote controls but only one key... yes I know, I should have asked questions about this earlier.

Once the deal was done my bargaining power was lost and so when I asked for a second key all I got was a lot of "no" in kinder words of course...

So how would I get my hands on another key without busting the bank... I trawled the forums here and there was a lot of conflicting information on price and how to go about this. Mr Minit was mentioned... so I visited them, they quoted $160, or if I could prove RACV membership it was $120.

Then I searched the internet and found a few ebay sellers... I found one particular seller who claimed to have a key for the 2007 Highlander and paid particular attention to commenting on the "dot" located near the top of the key, near the head.

I checked my Kluger key and it also had that dot... I sent a few emails to the seller and he confirmed it was the key I was after... I was anxious purchasing the key from ebay as there are many skammers selling junk on ebay.... The key cost around $23 and the seller said he could also cut the key if I gave him the key number.... I found this printed in the front page of my owner's manual.

$8 for the cutting and $3 postage it turned up in my mailbox 2 days later.

Now I know what you're thinking... the key is yet to have the transponder programmed to the Kluger's ECU so it can open the doors but won't start the ignition, true.

I searched the net some more looking for manual programming techniques but all I found was instructions for other cars, other years, other keys...

So I thought OK, I'll try and haggle with the Toyota dealer to get it programmed for a discount price considering it was them that sold me only one key in the first place.

I thought to myself what's my best chance of succeeding here.... the wife :D

She called the dealership and asked about a quote to get a new key programmed, she was told that it could be done for free... when my wife rang me at work stating this I was stunned...

Sure enough, my wife drove the Kluger to the dealership the following day and after 5 mins of programming we have a second functioning key...

Oh did I mention that the same dealership 2 weeks earlier (during the 2 year service) quoted me $180 for a new key.

I'm sooo very happy with this good result I thought I'd share it with you... if you buy a Kluger with only one key or loose one and need a replacement, it can be done for less than AUS$40. :yahoo:

Edited by whofan

thanks whofan - can you link us to the seller, or the same key on eBay?

nice work

cheers

yes and yes :P

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Keys-and-Ke...s__W0QQ_armrsZ1

That's the link to the seller

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Toyota-Key-chip...=item5ad7f39862

That's the key I purchased... obviously the above link will only be active for the duration of the auction (finishing on March 25).... but if you speak with the seller I'm sure he will re-post regularly as he appears to be selling oodles of keys...

BTW, I'm in no way associated with the seller, he's in NSW, I'm in Vic....

I just hope this helps some other Kluger drivers save some $$$

:clap:

whofan I assume this Kluger was pre-owned as there was a key missing? If not look in your owners manual on P26 (or close to) and it will show you the keys that are "PROVIDED" with the vehicle.

Take it to your dealer and tell him he is wrong and he owes you a key.

Even if the vehicle was used, they should have given you a second vehicle key as per the manual if they were a Toyota dealer. Did you also receive the "Valet" key as it is one of the keys you should get as well for 3 in total as per the key list?

Edited by Freewuns

whofan I assume this Kluger was pre-owned as there was a key missing? If not look in your owners manual on P26 (or close to) and it will show you the keys that are "PROVIDED" with the vehicle.

Take it to your dealer and tell him he is wrong and he owes you a key.

Even if the vehicle was used, they should have given you a second vehicle key as per the manual if they were a Toyota dealer. Did you also receive the "Valet" key as it is one of the keys you should get as well for 3 in total as per the key list?

used yes... 30k on the clock. it's a late 07 build first reg'd in early 08.

I agree with what you say, if you buy new you are entitled to 2 x keys and 2 x remote controls and I think one valet key.

All I got was one key and 2 remotes.

I suppose one lesson I've learned from this is to ask the salesman BEFORE I sign if the car comes with 2 keys... I was somewhat silly and assumed it would, it was only too late before I realised I was in a compromised position.

I'm probably lucky too that this key does not have the remote control included (an all in one key) as I think they're even more expensive like $300+

In the collection of manuals I was given during the sale there was a "fleet" book... so I even called this fleet company and got voicemail... I asked if they may have my key but of course there is nothing in this request for them and I got no response...

Previous owner is a fleet driver and when he returns the car all he/she really cares about is that they get more for the car than the residual value...

This may happen to others so all I'm trying to say here is... don't just listen to what Toyota tell you, there is a cheaper alternative... I've just saved $140... that's paid for my all-weather rubber cargo mat and I've still pocketed some change.