Gains with chip

Hi Guys

ok.. first official post.

Bought a black 03 Stivo a month ago after going from a heavily modified STi.

Small change, but financial responsibility has caught up with me.

Have changed the handling with Koni/whiteline and 17" wheels

also had a LSD installed.

I have ordered a CAI and looking at a magnaflow muffler (If i can find one with sufficient flow but without the drone) to improve power and drivability.

I was wondering what people's experience with a piggyback chip (unichip) with the above mods. With a turbo car the chip has a huge gain with its ability to control boost, but I am not sure with a NA car like the stivo.

In the graph below, it looks like you can get some gains but are they worth the $1000 for the chip. Any real world experience would be great.

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/unichip/...ota/celica.html

Gipper

Edited by Gipper

for the cost of a unichip, installation and tuning, the powerfc is a better bang-for-buck solution. The powerfc requires a small amount of thinking to make it work though, which is very simple for anyone familiar with toyota wiring.

for the cost of a unichip, installation and tuning, the powerfc is a better bang-for-buck solution.  The powerfc requires a small amount of thinking to make it work though, which is very simple for anyone familiar with toyota wiring.

What are the gains like and who did you get to tune it.

I prefer a Dyno tuned solutuion

you could expect 10kw with supporting mods with decent midrange increase. Nothing comparable to the increases you get on a FI car.

Powerfc's are meant to be dynotuned, they come with a basemap which is good enough to run the motor on but will get a lot better performance from fine tuning on a dyno. They also give you the flexibility of not being locked into requiring a unichip dealer to make changes, and the flexibility of revlimit changes and all the other nice features of a fully programable ECU instead of the unichip bandaid solution.

Have a look at the US celica forums to see what the 2zz guys with powerfc's think of them.

if you shop around you can get them for as low as $1100 new, less second hand. then add a few hundred for tuning.

You have an AE101 with an economy F series head. You will be pushed to get a 10kw gain from your car. They dont make the powerfc for the F - headed A series motors, you're better off with an emanage etc.

Edited by rollamods

Greddy Emanage, as seen at the bottom of this thread:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...1024&hl=emanage

about 1K new with all the extra's, or $500 secondhand. I've bought a few secondhand now, I wouldn't wast $1K buying one new when they're readily available secondhand with the support tool for laptop tuning etc.

you could expect 10kw with supporting mods with decent midrange increase. Nothing comparable to the increases you get on a FI car.

Powerfc's are meant to be dynotuned, they come with a basemap which is good enough to run the motor on but will get a lot better performance from fine tuning on a dyno. They also give you the flexibility of not being locked into requiring a unichip dealer to make changes, and the flexibility of revlimit changes and all the other nice features of a fully programable ECU instead of the unichip bandaid solution.

Have a look at the US celica forums to see what the 2zz guys with powerfc's think of them.

You are right, a fully programmable chip is a better solution when seeking outright power... , but everything has its pros and cons.

The reason i like a piggy back chip is that Toyota spend millions of dollars and thousands of hours gettign things like cold start, idle and closed loop running perfect.

I would be naive to think a tuner could get these things as good as Toyota with a day or tuning.

I just want the air/fuel mixtures changed on Wide open throttle to give me more power and more responsiveness when i hit the accelerator. A pigy back chip does this.

I used to run a Motec in the STi and the gains were awesome! But we could never get it idling or running as smooth as the stock car.

I suppose different chips for idfferent applications.

Thanks for the response though, greatly aprectiated.

Hi Guys

I have ordered a CAI and looking at a magnaflow muffler (If i can find one with sufficient flow but without the drone) to improve power and drivability.

I was wondering what people's experience with a piggyback chip (unichip) with the above mods.  With a turbo car the chip has a huge gain with its ability to control boost, but I am not sure with a NA car like the stivo.

In the graph below, it looks like you can get some gains but are they worth the $1000 for the chip.  Any real world experience would be great.

Gipper

which LSD did you installed?

so if i paid 500 for a unit who would i take it to in order to get it installed ? im not that confident in doing a great job like map81 did in the link.

with tune n install with second hand unit are u looking at about 1000 bux for 8 to 10 kw gain in power ? seems rather pricey

also ive got a magnaflow titanium cannon muffler gives a fair increase of midrange power.with the silencer in its sounds great and no drone and possibly just on or over 90db with the silencer off its sounds off tap but get shocking drone at certain rev ranges.

Edited by eddy_torrezz

Hi Guys

I was wondering what people's experience with a piggyback chip (unichip) with the above mods.  With a turbo car the chip has a huge gain with its ability to control boost, but I am not sure with a NA car like the stivo.

In the graph below, it looks like you can get some gains but are they worth the $1000 for the chip.  Any real world experience would be great.

Gipper

which LSD did you installed?

Installed the TRD LSD... works great.. heaps more grip and power down out of corners with no wheel spin. Best mod yet

also ive got a magnaflow titanium cannon muffler gives a fair increase of midrange power.with the silencer in its sounds great and no drone and possibly just on or over 90db with the silencer off its sounds off tap but get shocking drone at certain rev ranges.

That sounds like a great idea... looks good too.

Can i ask what is cost?

ou may have just answered my question as to what muffler to get!

Can i ask what is cost?

any hi flow one will do. I have great love for Apexi WS. Or you can try mugen loop style X-Force muffler. It performed better than Mugen and that is not something I made up.

Can i ask what is cost?

any hi flow one will do. I have great love for Apexi WS. Or you can try mugen loop style X-Force muffler. It performed better than Mugen and that is not something I made up.

What is the cost of the Jap ones with Silencer compared to the Magnaflow?

Can i ask what is cost?

What is the cost of the Jap ones with Silencer compared to the Magnaflow?

unfortunately the jap ones have their mufflers mounted transversely so it exits the passenger side. if u were really keen to get a jap one, u could probably order one and chop the pipes to get it to fit. the jap muffs are also a bit dearer than a magnaflow one.

Hey gipper,

how much did the LSD set u back and how much to install ?

Also from piggyback systems the best one thus far has been the unichip which is why several members have them. The only thing being that u will need a retune after u do a performance mod if u want full/optimum performance from ur mod..... but i get this would be the same for a full independant system

oh n welcome to the forum where u from ?

Ok I planned to start a new topic but seeing that the discussion here is closley related here goes. I've been monitoring the MatrixOwners website alot considering the similarities between the RunX and the Matrix, however I uncovered a post in which some one wrote Apexi Japan re the Power FC for the Matrix and got the response that it was made only for the Celica. It appears that the ECU harness of the Matrix differs a lot from the Celica harness. My question is, what does the diagram of our harness look like? I didn't get a manual with my car so I have no idea. I also found information stating that the Stock Ecu learns the Apexi S AFC 2 and virtually cancels it out making it a useless mod. It was said that the UniChip is the only piggyback to date that stands up well to the stock ECU. Can the Unichip be tuned by my local dyno tuner? Does it have a controller

or interactive interface? What other ECU options exist for the RunX/Stivo?

Here are some pics of the Matrix & Celica Harness

post-367-1118419474_thumb.jpg

post-367-1118419517_thumb.jpg

Ok I planned to start a new topic but seeing that the discussion here is closley related here goes. I've been monitoring the MatrixOwners website alot considering the similarities between the RunX and the Matrix, however I uncovered a post in which some one wrote Apexi Japan re the Power FC for the Matrix and got the response that it was made only for the Celica. It appears that the ECU harness of the Matrix differs a lot from the Celica harness. My question is, what does the diagram of our harness look like? I didn't get a manual with my car so I have no idea. I also found information stating that the Stock Ecu learns the Apexi S AFC 2 and virtually cancels it out making it a useless mod. It was said that the UniChip is the only piggyback to date that stands up well to the stock ECU. Can the Unichip be tuned by my local dyno tuner? Does it have a controller

or interactive interface? What other ECU options exist for the RunX/Stivo?

Here are some pics of the Matrix & Celica Harness

post-367-1118419474_thumb.jpg

post-367-1118419517_thumb.jpg

the main reason that people say unichip is the best option so far its cause its been the only used on a sportivo. If you get a unichip you have to get it tuned by an authorized unichip dealer (this means they can pretty much charge what the like). those two ecu socket pics that you posted both the 1zz and the 2zz have the one with the space in the middle.