ZRE - Removing front bumper

Hi guys,

So I was trying to remove my front bumper late this arvo but it ended up getting a little too dark to work.

I ended up removing the top rivets and the screws and I made my way down to remove the screws around the wheel arches - all they did was spin and not actually come out. Is there a special way to take them out?

And is there any other tricky places that I need to watch out for? I know there's a small pivoting panel underneath each headlight - are these for the sensors?

Rivet points and screws - No this isn't my car and I don't have valvematic.

86750432.jpg

I found this online...

43555176.jpg

Dont know bout that last red circle one. but if its the same as the 08 model. then there are 5 or 6 bolts i believe along the edge of the front bumper.. i think 10mm socket ratchet will do it. undo those. take all the pop in screws from the panels up top. those side screw things near the wheel arches arent really screws, just use a small flathead screwdriver and jibby it out. i have those weird ones and a flathead one on each side. and if your Levin ZR model, then you'll have a water reservoir on the left hand side of the bumper to disconnect.

Either plug it somehow or empty it completely and fill up reservoir later. need to disconnect the hose before taking bumper off. the black clip/adaptor thing that connects to the reservoir is quite the b#tch to get out and put in.

Then pull out bumper from each side first to loosen it.. then the whole front should lift out.

:)

Hey mate,

The facelift bay plastic surrounds look slightly different to the pre-facelift. Referring to the first picture, it's probably the two middle red screws and perhaps the blue screws immediately after the front grill.

For the pre-facelift, it's just screws along the grill/immediately after the front bumper, and 4 screws at the bottom: 1 in front of each wheel arch and one roughly 1/4 from each side of the wheel arch (similar position to the two middle red screws in the first picture but underneath.)

With the sides, you are right. There are two (for pre-facelift) screws on the wheel arch (tyre side) into the front bar. You just unscrew these lightly until they get loose. Don't unscrew them all the way, leave them attached to the socket and pull that socket out. Then you're ready to pull the bumper off!

Not sure if it's the same, but should be very similar!

Goodluck. Hope that helps!

Peter.

Edit: Ahh Johnny bet me to it, I type too slow! Yep, 10mm socket and totally forgot about the reservoir (it's on the right actually)! Remember to disconnect your foggies too before you remove the bumper! :)

Image117.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys, I completely forgot about the reservoir! The screws on the wheel arches makes a lot of sense now.

Just a question...

The black clip/adaptor thing that connects to the reservoir

johnnieboi, I'm not sure what you're talking about, do I use this to drain out the reservoir? Or is this something connected to the chassis? I guess I'll find out..

might help

I am also having problems in removing ZRE154 bumper, but I think the way of unscrewing is similar to replacing foglights.. The procedure of replacing fog light is actually be found in the car menu... I also need more advice on this because I need to clean my CAI

johnnieboi, I'm not sure what you're talking about, do I use this to drain out the reservoir? Or is this something connected to the chassis? I guess I'll find out..

Hey, how did you go? If you look at the photo I posted before, the place of the rag is where the black connection to the reservoir is. Either block the hole with something or let it drain completely into a bucket and put it back in once you're done.

A.Rice: I don't see anything different except that when I took the photo, I did not put the CAI in yet.

might help

I am also having problems in removing ZRE154 bumper, but I think the way of unscrewing is similar to replacing foglights.. The procedure of replacing fog light is actually be found in the car menu... I also need more advice on this because I need to clean my CAI

The wheel arch screws on the youtube video are not the same. I say don't follow it.

Yes, you're right - one of the screws you undo on the bottom is the screw you undo to replace the foglights (explained in the car manual).

Peter.

Image117_2.jpg

This is the location of the bottom screws you need to undo for the pre-facelift. Should be similar to the facelift ZRE.

I guess I should add this to the ZRE FAQ as well. If you got any other questions, check there first then ask one of us. I will be continuously updating it. :P

Peter.

Update: I was doing well yesterday until I got interrupted and had to head out.

There's about 6 bottom screws or more for the facelift. Hopefully I can have some time today taking it out.

Thanks guys

What jack are u using to lift the car up?

I have lowered suspension and cannot put my head underneath (bit scared)

I don't lift up the car, I just feel the location of the screws using my fingers and use an extended socket ratchet. Although I'm thinking of buying a pair of ramps, make things a bit easier, especially when changing oil etc.

Or did you mean in general? I use a trolley jack and stands. :)

No need for a jack. I wouldn't rely on a jack while working under the car anyway.

Sometimes a slope on a driveway helps as well if you can't fit your head in for a peek.

No need for a jack. I wouldn't rely on a jack while working under the car anyway.

Sometimes a slope on a driveway helps as well if you can't fit your head in for a peek.

Yep, don't need to use any jacks, just might have to do it blind depending on how low is the car.. :spiteful:

And you can take photos the next time you attempt for remove the front bar? It will be great help for future facelift ZRE owners down the track. :)

Peter.