Changing Gearbox Oil

Hi pirate125,

I looked at doing this myself then tried getting under the car to do it and it just didnt seem to feasible.... On one of my previous services i just asked them to do it while the had the car up on the hoist.

cheers

Bill

at one of the major services get Toyota to do it when they change the Engine oil.

I got them to put Penrite 10 tenths into my box today, feels OK, but getting used to the adjusted clutch too, will keep you posted on how it feels in a few weeks/months...

it's easy to change.

Jack the car up, get a good 24mm socket and loosen the filler plug halfway up the intake side of your box, once that is loose, then undo the 24mm drain plug under the passenger side driveshaft and have a container ready that holds at least 3L to catch the oil. Let it drain for an hour or so to get as much oil out as possible.

Install the drain plug back into the box, fill with Redline Superlight Shockproof gearoil or similar through the filler hole on the front of the box until oil starts to come out the filler hole. Re-install the filler plug and go for a drive. The box will take close to 3L from memory.

• 3 weeks later...
it's easy to change.

Jack the car up, get a good 24mm socket and loosen the filler plug halfway up the intake side of your box, once that is loose, then undo the 24mm drain plug under the passenger side driveshaft and have a container ready that holds at least 3L to catch the oil.  Let it drain for an hour or so to get as much oil out as possible.

Install the drain plug back into the box, fill with Redline Superlight Shockproof gearoil or similar through the filler hole on the front of the box until oil starts to come out the filler hole.  Re-install the filler plug and go for a drive.  The box will take close to 3L from memory.

hey man just reading on the redline site. - they mention that super light is not so good for synchros is that right ? the one that reccomend is heavy shock proof??

just wondering

• 1 year later...
it's easy to change.

Jack the car up, get a good 24mm socket and loosen the filler plug halfway up the intake side of your box, once that is loose, then undo the 24mm drain plug under the passenger side driveshaft and have a container ready that holds at least 3L to catch the oil. Let it drain for an hour or so to get as much oil out as possible.

Install the drain plug back into the box, fill with Redline Superlight Shockproof gearoil or similar through the filler hole on the front of the box until oil starts to come out the filler hole. Re-install the filler plug and go for a drive. The box will take close to 3L from memory.

hey man just reading on the redline site. - they mention that super light is not so good for synchros is that right ? the one that reccomend is heavy shock proof??

just wondering

Ive changed the oil to lightweight shockproof straight away wen i got my car,I wouldnt recommend the super lightweight or the heavy weight,The recommended weight genuine Im pretty sure is 80W90 but the 'blue ' shookproof oil is rated at 80W140 meaning it has a higher load rating for those loaded weekend trips or heavy changing excursions (track days) ,Ive never had a problem with my synchros with my car the change transitions are noticable straight away for the the changes ive noticed are a lil tighter with a short shifter its very noticable like mine,Ive worked very closely with the redline group in perth,They know me very well coz i used to sell there product by 20 ltr or 4 ltr packs in bulk & roadtested there product ,it may sound biased but u gotta try this u'll be quited impressed

i've heard you need to change the filter when changing oil

Filter? We're talking about gearbox oil here dude, not engine oil......also, note that this topic didn't have any new posts in it for almost 2 years until you dug it out of its grave

i was using the search function in the forum

well, i rang up toyota and told them i need to change my gearbox oil, they told me they need to change the panel filter in the gearbox or something..they quoted me like $150 without the gearbox oil