drop 7AFE go for SC?

guy's,

currently my car was still on stock 4AFE engine. recently purchased a 7AFE engine and was about going into swapping it. However, on recent chat with my friend, he was saying why opt for 7AFE which only offer 10kw torque and 10bhp more thn 4AFE? why not go straight installing SC where offer more power into 4AFE should it fit?

now on second thought, he does make sense. i mean with the engine cost and labour fees, it could sum up the same as i hybird the SC12 into my 4AFE should it fit which deliver even more thn 7AFE.

what do u guy's think? opinions and feedback welcome....

Hi, just so you know, KW and BHP are measurements of the same thing, 10KW = 13.5BHP

The 7AFE is the same motor that was in the 2001 Sportivo but without the turbo (Turbo model being 7FTE). The turbo model pushed out 115KW and 237NM torque. The none turbo model kicks out 85KW and 154Nm of torque.

The 4AFE you are currently running puts out 78KW of power and 135Nm of torque. The gain of the 7AFE is 7KW and 18NM of torque.

Hope that helps you out with your figures.

in my opinion I would consider the 4AFE with a turbo (or supercharger but turbos are generally a bit cheaper I think) being that you already have the motor but others on here may have a better opinion, im not exactly a mechanical person :). If you want to get your current motor KW up to the same as the 7FTE you will need to run about 5 and a half pounds of boost on your current motor which is not perticularly hard to ask from your current motor. Alternatively save up more cash and get a 4AGZE ;) which will give you 125KW and 206NM of torque.

Lots of juicy specs on 4AG motors here:

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradsh...0into%20RWD.htm

guy's,

currently my car was still on stock 4AFE engine. recently purchased a 7AFE engine and was about going into swapping it. However, on recent chat with my friend, he was saying why opt for 7AFE which only offer 10kw torque and 10bhp more thn 4AFE? why not go straight installing SC where offer more power into 4AFE should it fit?

now on second thought, he does make sense. i mean with the engine cost and labour fees, it could sum up the same as i hybird the SC12 into my 4AFE should it fit which deliver even more thn 7AFE.

what do u guy's think? opinions and feedback welcome....

Edited by Blade Hunter

The problem you face is, the 4afe is carb, so before you go to forced induction whether it's s/c or turbo you need to convert to and EFI, which means you still need to swap for a 4age.

You can't simply put a 4ag head on the 4af block because they're slightly different shape which can lead to problems down the line.

So putting in the 7afe you already purchased isn't such a bad idea and will give you gains over the 4afe. Because it's injected it's then ready for forced induction down the track.

You don't have to have EFI for forced induction, a friend threw a turbo on his Carbie driven Mini, 40MM webber if memory serves correctly (as opposed to my twin 1.25" SU's)

The problem you face is, the 4afe is carb, so before you go to forced induction whether it's s/c or turbo you need to convert to and EFI, which means you still need to swap for a 4age.

You can't simply put a 4ag head on the 4af block because they're slightly different shape which can lead to problems down the line.

So putting in the 7afe you already purchased isn't such a bad idea and will give you gains over the 4afe.  Because it's injected it's then ready for forced induction down the track.

You don't have to have EFI for forced induction, a friend threw a turbo on his Carbie driven Mini, 40MM webber if memory serves correctly (as opposed to my twin 1.25" SU's)

So putting in the 7afe you already purchased isn't such a bad idea and will give you gains over the 4afe.  Because it's injected it's then ready for forced induction down the track.

my apology, typo mistake here. the kw im reffering to was torque. sorry

Blade Hunter,

Mine was EFI version. Generally i don't really favour in turbocharged due to the lag. to custom made a turbo manifold is not going to be cheap as well. once in turbo, fueling needed to be sorted out and it would be good should a piggyback system install.

to compare with SC, hm... fueling same needed to improve but (pls correct me if im wrong) the fuel demand would not be as great as turbo? perhaps a fuel regulator or bigger size injector will do the job?

Check this thread: http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123497

Basically the guys on there are saying that finding and configuring a supercharger for your FE type motor would be more hassle than just dropping in the Already configured GZE motor.

Also this link: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46475 provides similar info.

I also found a link on google (but its dead so have had to copy and paste from the cache) with the following info:

turbo definitely would be easier to install in the 7AFE engine, I tried to do the Supercharger route, but was unable to find the space for it since SC's are pulley driven...not to mention that there is a HUGE gaping hole in front of your manifold that is perfect to hold a turbo...plus the cool WWHHHHHOOOOOOPPPPIIIISHHHH

factor, I'm sorry, I'm all about the WHHOOOOOOPISHHH

That was posted by "concept1" on the corolla-racing forum.

Anything is possible with the right budget but its up to you what is or is not worth it. IMO your best option at this point for what you want is to install a 4AGZE, sell the 7AFE and 4AFE to try and recoup some of the purchase costs for the ZE, this motor is designed for what you are looking for.

Blade Hunter,

Mine was EFI version. Generally i don't really favour in turbocharged due to the lag. to custom made a turbo manifold is not going to be cheap as well. once in turbo, fueling needed to be sorted out and it would be good should a piggyback system install.

to compare with SC, hm... fueling same needed to improve but (pls correct me if im wrong) the fuel demand would not be as great as turbo? perhaps a fuel regulator or bigger size injector will do the job?

Edited by Blade Hunter

"Anything is possible with the right budget but its up to you what is or is not worth it"

this is the reason why im having all this headache. whahahaha. well i dun think my 7AFE and 4AFE worth much though. additional may need to top up for the 4AGZE front cut not to mention the labour fees not yet include. could be paying even more

True, but with that said, Forced induction will work far better with EFI because of the more even fuel distribution to each cylinder.

• 3 years later...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but with that said, Forced induction will work far better with EFI because of the more even fuel distribution to each cylinder.

A 4afe is not carb'ed or it would be a 4afc and the 7fte is actually a 7afte. 7 is the displacement code, a is the block code, F is narrow angle valves and G is wide, t or z stand for turbo or supercharged respectively and the E is for electronic injection or C for carbed.

Enough of that though, Turbo is the way to go!! a gt25 and a small front mount intercooler will give great results with minimal lag.

If you have a 4afc you'll need an electric fuel pump as well as the wiring loom and ecu for the 4afe.

Edited by Rosegum

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A 4afe is not carb'ed or it would be a 4afc and the 7fte is actually a 7afte. 7 is the displacement code, a is the block code, F is narrow angle valves and G is wide, t or z stand for turbo or supercharged respectively and the E is for electronic injection or C for carbed.

Enough of that though, Turbo is the way to go!! a gt25 and a small front mount intercooler will give great results with minimal lag.

If you have a 4afc you'll need an electric fuel pump as well as the wiring loom and ecu for the 4afe.

Wee, pointless 4 year bumps are the best.