Supercharge or turbocharge VVTL-i

I've been saving up for a major performance modification for my VVTL-i Corolla Sportivo and some of my

friends have advised me that supercharging it would be better. I still would like to know more about this like

how much would it cost me to have a turbo kit or supercharge kit? What are the best aftermarket or Toyota

Racing Development products that are compatible with the Corolla Sportivo VVTL-i engine? And what shops and

where in Melbourne, Victoria can I go to purchase these kits? Your advise is appreciated, Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRD dont make any forced induction parts for the 2zz-ge engine. Super Charger kit + install bout 9K, you will then also need new pistons, LSD, new suspension, exhaust, rims/tyres and better brakes.

turbo bout 5-6K and you will also need new pistons, LSD, new suspension, exhaust, rims/tyres and better brakes.

nobody in Aus has done either. So you will have to shop around for sombody willing to do it.

When you say you've saved up a fair amount:

Take into account all the things northy mentioned -> then add another $3k for incidentals and maybe $5k for good measure.

You might be close...

As Northy pointed out NO one in aus. is yet to turbo / supercharge a 2zzge (that I'm aware of)

Companies in the US have but they are expensive - there's a turbo charged 2zzge MR-S in the US....

If you want an IDEA what I'm planning for a turbo 1zzfe (All inclusive not just a nice polite bolt on) that will run in the order of $15k + just for parts - not parts and labor...

PM me or search 'turbo 1zzfe' or forced induction in general.

Either way - don't be disauded from doing it - by all means if you have cash to splash DO IT... be the first in Aus :)

Take into account all the things northy mentioned -> then add another $3k for incidentals and maybe $5k for good measure.

You might be close...

As Northy pointed out NO one in aus. is yet to turbo / supercharge a 2zzge (that I'm aware of)

Companies in the US have but they are expensive - there's a turbo charged 2zzge MR-S in the US....

If you want an IDEA what I'm planning for a turbo 1zzfe (All inclusive not just a nice polite bolt on) that will run in the order of $15k + just for parts - not parts and labor...

Either way - don't be disauded from doing it - by all means if you have cash to splash DO IT... be the first in Aus :)

There are at least two turbo 2ZZGE's that I know of in the country, both Celica's that have been featured in Australian magazine's on several occasions. One has the plates "PETIR" & one that was owned by a 1st grade ARL player, can't think of his name.

Anyway check BLITZ USA website to see there supercharged Celica, bloody awesome. :D :D

None that i know of here in Oz! but there were a few in South Africa. And mate there was one with a supercharger and turbocharger and this thing was a monster!!!! I have the magazine!

yeah y not get an s15 spec r for that much money? but if u realy want to keep your rola i would supercharge it cause its instant power and that the sportivo needed it, turbo u have to wait for it to kick in that means your lower end would still be no torque, but if u still want turbo i think small turbo will be better

Edited by sportiyo

Ive been looking at both flips of the coin but the major factor in turbocharging is keeping the thermal issues in check. Since a turbocharger uses the transfer of heat to spin the turbine (not exhaust flow) as most people believe the radiation of heat in the engine bay is extreme to say the least. Now seeing as the motor has the exhaust on the rear side of the engine, there is little airflow to cool surrounding ancillaries from the effects of the turbocharger. This is why ceramic coasting and thermal wrapping plus heat shielding must be used widely to avaid further problems with power steer, brake fluid and the like (not too mention paint on the bonnet). I really think a well setup low boost setup could achieve excellent results.

Turbo (gt28rs - good boost response curve for motor .64 exhaust housing) $1200

Manifold (steampipe manifold resistes cracking and it coated in HPC) $1000

Intercooler (I would always use a PWR kit for street car) $1000

Exhaust ( custom dump pipe and front pipe HPC coated) $700

ECU ( Fitted and installed a interceptor such as Emanage or Motec) $1500+^$3000

Fuel pump ( increased fuel flow requires hiflow pump such as walbro) $200

Ancillaries ( always allow for breakages and dyno + build costs) $500

Total = $6200 -----> $7700

Now this is would only allow upto a max of 0.5 bar boost due to compression ratio and fuel injector flow limits

Ive been looking at both flips of the coin but the major factor in turbocharging is keeping the thermal issues in check. Since a turbocharger uses the transfer of heat to spin the turbine (not exhaust flow) as most people believe the radiation of heat in the engine bay is extreme to say the least. Now seeing as the motor has the exhaust on the rear side of the engine, there is little airflow to cool surrounding ancillaries from the effects of the turbocharger. This is why ceramic coasting and thermal wrapping plus heat shielding must be used widely to avaid further problems with power steer, brake fluid and the like (not too mention paint on the bonnet). I really think a well setup low boost setup could achieve excellent results.

Well, they say you learn something new everyday ... not that I considered myself to be a turbo expert by any means!

I just have one question, though ... with heat being such an issue, wouldn't a rear exhaust manifold (taking hot exhaust gas straight out of the engine bay) be better in that regard than the traditional front mount (taking hot gas out the front, down under the engine and then out the back)?

Not disputing, just curious. :)

I like these topics :D

When cruising the net the other day just looking at general performance parts, i incidentally stumbled upon some turbo kits, made for both the 2zz-ge and 1zz-fe.

The turbo kit for the 2zz : http://www.turbo-kits.com/matrix_turbo_kits.html

does not change any internals and it is claimed to make a safe 75-100hp boost over a stocko 2zz, with a dyno sheet proven below.

http://www.turbo-kits.com/images/hass_2zz-ge_dyno.jpg

This equates to approximately 223kw at the wheels

Keep in mind this kit does include water injection for additional cooling and some huge injectors (630cc). Although without alterations of stock internals, i would say this is a damn good deal. Also however it costs $6.2k AU approximately, include shipping, etc it would be close to 7k.

With that sort of power, you WOULD need a full sussy setup, including sways and coilovers preferable (another $3k) as well as a set of decent tyres and wheels to help get that power down, not to mention the major preferance in an LSD (another $3k) bringing your grand total of a top notch high performance (without internal work) 2zz-ge to somewhere around the vicinity of $13k.

I hope you have been saving...

Personally i would opt for turbo 2zz over supercharged, as it is naturally a high cam motor, i would play to its strength and squeeze maximum HP out of it rather than trying to compensate for its lack of low end, turn it into a full racer.

Edited by Mintos

I like these topics :D

When cruising the net the other day just looking at general performance parts, i incidentally stumbled upon some turbo kits, made for both the 2zz-ge and 1zz-fe.

The turbo kit for the 2zz : http://www.turbo-kits.com/matrix_turbo_kits.html

does not change any internals and it is claimed to make a safe 75-100hp boost over a stocko 2zz, with a dyno sheet proven below.

http://www.turbo-kits.com/images/hass_2zz-ge_dyno.jpg

This equates to approximately 223kw at the wheels

Keep in mind this kit does include water injection for additional cooling and some huge injectors (630cc). Although without alterations of stock internals, i would say this is a damn good deal. Also however it costs $6.2k AU approximately, include shipping, etc it would be close to 7k.

With that sort of power, you WOULD need a full sussy setup, including sways and coilovers preferable (another $3k) as well as a set of decent tyres and wheels to help get that power down, not to mention the major preferance in an LSD (another $3k) bringing your grand total of a top notch high performance (without internal work) 2zz-ge to somewhere around the vicinity of $13k.

I hope you have been saving...

Personally i would opt for turbo 2zz over supercharged, as it is naturally a high cam motor, i would play to its strength and squeeze maximum HP out of it rather than trying to compensate for its lack of low end, turn it into a full racer.

i like the answer of 44zge ..

fuel injector limits? cant u get bigger injectors?

Anyhow i reckon the 2zz is better off NA

Firstly .. not lto of room to play with - if you've seen PETIR's engine bay you'll know what i mean. Not sure how the layout and spacing of the engines diff between the corolla and celica tho.

Keepign this in mind, a supercharger requires even more room as its not as compact as a snail.

I heard PETIR also had heat issues and the turbo gave them heaps of problems.

BTW i also heard that PETIR is forbidden and cant be sold or driven, unsure if that is true

i still reckon the blitz kit is the way to go its constant power through the rev range unlike a turbo that requires spooling and a build up pressure before you hit boost. The amount of $$$ for the overall project i would never spend even if i had the dosh rather buy a car that is designed to handle modifications and huge amounts of power at the wheels but hey its your money and a modified sportivo to that degree would be very rare and unique :D

Yeah that' the one i saw on their website long ago, twin charger runx. I think that one would also use their internal parts to bump it up to 2.0 litre capacity. Very tough car i must say, and made in Japan by Brashboy, what could go wrong?

Edited by Danz

that twin charger runx it would probably be a good idea to find out what else has been done to the car .... a few people have mentioned that added stuff of LSD, wheels, sussy etc i think the one thing i havent heard mentioned that is probably as important if not more important is .......... BRAKES ...........

LOL its all well and good having all this power to get going and driving around but g.o.d. help u when u try n stop ...... i also dont think a simple rotor and pads upgrade is gonna do either i think u would have 2 go all out and get urself a full setup .... add a few more K's to that $$$$ fund ....

again as stated if u were after this kind of performance/power i think the stivo is the wrong car to begin with (flame suit on :P :P :P) ..... Get urself a high powered 4WD or RWD .....

Although a stivo in AUS with all that bolted on would be unqiue ..... maybe when im the CEO and earning crap loads of $$$$$$$$

cheers

Bill

Also don't forget you will have to change to a complete ECU change.. I guess you can use a PowerFC but if I was doing this... I would go a full blown ECU.. like Autronic, motec and so on.. EMS (Engine Munching System) is never an option!! hahha

So full blown of one those system is like 4k or so.. with all the trimmings..

Alot of money you better be serious.. haha i dont think your car would be considered a daily driver no more.. unless your going to be running top of the line semi on 7-8" wide rims.. imagine the cost of that every 4 months..

I dunno about 2zz Corolla. But there are 2 turbo'd Celicas and 1 blitz supercharged celica in australia.

There's heaps of turboed 2zz celicas, and 2zz mrs in the USA. I would think there will be a few turboed matrix too. I'd check out www.newcelica.org for ideas weather to turbo or supercharge the corolla. It's been discussed alot on that forum. And post from people who have turbocharge or supercharge their cars and their experiences. Although parts are not exactly the same between the two cars. They are fairly similar.

Taken from C2Power website (although their kit is currently on hold because of greddy emanage tuning problems) Bare minimum needed to turbo:

Garrett GT28RS dual ball bearing turbo preset at 0.4 bar (New with Garrett warranty)

medium sized intercooler

polished stainless steel piping

tubular manifold

hoses

water and oil lines to turbo and out

gaskets

oil line flange

Sard racing R2D2 Blow off valve and fitting (BOV)

Apexi power intake and adapter

The greddy with preloaded map is in the kit. But has a power dip when high cam engage. The power fc fixes the problem.

You would be boosting about 6-7psi max on standard internals.

Edited by 51EKA

You might be close...

Ben -

Speaking of upgrades, I've been meaning to tell you that there is a set of slotted rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads that will fit your car at Car Torque, Kent Town. They ordered in the wrong size for my Sportivo, but it's all good for the 1zz 'rollas. They've been sitting on their shelf for a few months now, so if you're interested try and get a good price!

Can't wait until you start this project!

Edited by oz_viking