ECU... help?!

organ

Hi Guys,

Seached but couldnt find my post a while ago regarding issues with acceleration,mainly when the car hits lift it doesnot always surge forward as it should, also, there is a 'hesitation' as lift kicks in, almost like a stall. This only happens when the car has warmed up, on the way up to optimum temperature, the car functions normally.

I have just noticed one thing in the last week, the rev limiter that stops you hitting lift when the engine temperature is too cold is not working!

I am starting to think that there is simething seriously wrong with the ECU, what do you guys reakon? Enyone heard of anything like this?

sounds to me as you may have fuel starvation as lift kicks in.

if its not the ECU check the fuel pump. I had a similar issue with my barina! and the fuel pump was on its way out. There is a way to test it bu it means unplugging the fuel line into the motor. This could be a hassle

I highly doubt it would be the ECU itself. It's very rare to have a toyota/denso ECU fail (unless it's a 15yo ECU with leaking caps...)

Toyota should be able to diagnose it in 5 mins with a scan tool showing the sensor values. Probably got a dodgey sensor somewhere in the system feeding the ECU incorrect parameters.

Got a service coming up this week and I have reported the issue for them to fix.

I just took the car for a bit of a spin. To answer your question northy, the limiter kicks in at about 7200, doesnt seem like the hi-cam has kicked in yet. Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember that it used to kick in at about 6200 when the car was new....

Something is not working... could be a sensor or fuel. Sometimes, it is not until I hit lift twice that this issue shows its self,andit isnot until I turn the car off, andback on again that it is ok again, for two lift hits only, then the issue is back again!

Got a service coming up this week and I have reported the issue for them to fix.

I just took the car for a bit of a spin. To answer your question northy, the limiter kicks in at about 7200, doesnt seem like the hi-cam has kicked in yet. Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember that it used to kick in at about 6200 when the car was new....

Something is not working... could be a sensor or fuel. Sometimes, it is not until I hit lift twice that this issue shows its self,andit isnot until I turn the car off, andback on again that it is ok again, for two lift hits only, then the issue is back again!

It could be your car is not warmed up properly?

For celica... The problem could be a broken lift bolt. But apparently it's not a problem with the corollas.

Umm... Oil control valve not flowing correctly. Or low in oil pressure.

Ok so from what your saying the car will rev out to 7200 rpm's and lift wont kick in ..... 1 question how long after u've turn the car on have u tried this ?

The reason i ask is because the stivo has a engine safety mechansim where if the ecu doesnt think the car has been warmed up enough it will not let you engage lift and from memory yes it will let u ride the low cam to about 7000 rpm's.

Secondly this might be a good time to ask do u warm the car up or do u just jump in and drive and expect to engage lift ?

Also what state are you in as the guys have regular meets in pretty much all the states on the east coast why dont you come out to one so people can see what your talking about ?

cheers

Bill

There is a vr/vs clubsport down here that has a sticker saying "its all about the inches 304" on his back window. Only problem was all his inches couldnt keep up with the sportivo

I've seen him and I showed him my ***** too :P :lol::lol::lol:

There is a vr/vs clubsport down here that has a sticker saying "its all about the inches 304" on his back window. Only problem was all his inches couldnt keep up with the sportivo

poor guy will be scared for LIFE after seeing that :P

No all we need is Zee to show him and the guy will never pop his head up again

OK just to clear up the confusion:

1. Car is cold, rev limiter kicks at 7200 (I thought it was meant to be 6200)

2. Car warms up ..

3. Car is at optimum temp, issue starts happening after hitting lift twice

4. Switch car off.

5. Car is at optimum temp, issue starts happening after hitting lift twice

6. same as 4

7. same as 5

etc etc

Im in SA by the way.