brake upgrade.

DuGong

i was wondering how many of u have done a caliper and disc upgrade. to something slightly bigger.

wat are my options besides buying full brake kits from branded companies. can i purchase 2nd hand brake calipers and stick em on the rolla?

my current set-up.. .the brake feels sponge at high temps. feels like it wont stop, or that somethings gonna break.

thanks

better pads, discs and fluid will sort the spongey feeling.

Otherwise there are some twin-piston toyota calipers which bolt straight on. Check MAP81's garage photo's for the upgrade we did on his car.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...&CODE=12&CID=84

Edited by rollamods

There are a few brands that i have come across that are from over-seas they say "for corolla" but im still trying to research if it will be suitable for our "corolla" that being acent models upto the stivo!! :blink: I mean some of the big name brands will have to release a kit soon considering "WILWOOD" have made a 280mm rotor and 4POT calipers with braided-lines for the ECHO and from memory it worked out around $2,800 brought to OZ!!!! Lets cross our fingers and hope that they do some-thing for our cars soon (if they already hav'nt) :) !!!!

There are a few brands that i have come across that are from over-seas they say "for corolla" but im still trying to research if it will be suitable for our "corolla" that being acent models upto the stivo!! :blink: I mean some of the big name brands will have to release a kit soon considering "WILWOOD" have made a 280mm rotor and 4POT calipers with braided-lines for the ECHO and from memory it worked out around $2,800 brought to OZ!!!! Lets cross our fingers and hope that they do some-thing for our cars soon (if they already hav'nt) :) !!!!

2800. wtf.

i'm sure i can get some to aus for 2 flat. so yes, wilwood have a kit for corollas.

if u want a larger rotor with stock caliper, there's also powerslot, but u have to let them know to use a 4x100pcd.

then there's also the brash boy 4pot 296mm kit.

but like rollamods said, discs, pads, fluids, and braided lines should stop that terrible spongey feeling

Edited by shaohaok

If you read it corretly i stated $2,800 was for the ECHO kit (wilwood) and this price is goin back early last year so who knows how much it is now????!!! And i did not state anywhere in the post that WILWOOD made a kit for our Corollas to my knowledge maybe they do now i dont know, i sadi that i have come across a few other brands from over-seas that say in their suitability "Corolla" but this may not fit our models as it could be anything from AE101,111,86 or what -ever they class as a corolla in their country???!!!

But when u think about it why would you bring out a 4POT kit for a ECHO???? Man how much breaking force do you really need?? :lol: Although this reminds me of a time when my friend in a GTIR was try to catch up to a young lady in a 2door lancer (typical prancer-chrome taillights, droid kit, M3 mirrors) we were coming up to an intersection lights went orange we slowed down and she kept goin!!!We were like oh cr@p i hope she has seen the lights change and at that point she got on the breaks and came to a dead stop!!! We looked on in amazement and releif that she had stopped, glanced over the car and saw a lovely big set of......... BREMBOs :blink::lol: (thought i was gonna say something else then huh??!!)!!! Now im thinking dads a mechanic and wants his little girl to be able to stop when she wants!!!!KEKEKEKEKEEEEE :lol: :D :D

If you read it corretly i stated $2,800 was for the ECHO kit (wilwood) and this price is goin back early last year so who knows how much it is now????!!! And i did not state anywhere in the post that WILWOOD made a kit for our Corollas to my knowledge maybe they do now i dont know, i sadi that i have come across a few other brands from over-seas that say in their suitability "Corolla" but this may not fit our models as it could be anything from AE101,111,86 or what -ever they class as a corolla in their country???!!!

In Europe I believe the ZZE122/3 is the E12.

How many ECHO's have u seen getting around that are THAT quick that would need such large ammount of braking power!!!!! Sh17 man dun take things so seriously :P it was just a little light hearted comment about ECHOs, why dont you have a go at rollamods for calling it the "ultimate girls car"??? :blink::lol: Man there is also a 6POT kit for it and who knows maybe a 8 or 12POT but unless its packing 550+HP @wheels i can call them girly cars (Sorry to the guys that have ECHOs or YARis....Personally i love the new YARis)

^^ that sounded real light-hearted, too?!?!?!!!?!??!??!?!?!!

if i correctly read your post, u never said when you got the price. and i wasn't attacking your post, so don't be so touchy.

and no i didn't get the wilwood kit, i got me the project mew ones :D anyway, the supercharged "echo" is already sold.

last time i checked, rollamods, i didn't have rust to deal with. :P :P

Edited by shaohaok

How many ECHO's have u seen getting around that are THAT quick that would need such large ammount of braking power!!!!! Sh17 man dun take things so seriously :P it was just a little light hearted comment about ECHOs, why dont you have a go at rollamods for calling it the "ultimate girls car"??? :blink::lol: Man there is also a 6POT kit for it and who knows maybe a 8 or 12POT but unless its packing 550+HP @wheels i can call them girly cars (Sorry to the guys that have ECHOs or YARis....Personally i love the new YARis)

i was only asking a question. maybe it is you that needs to take things not so seriously.

True, but is that any different to Falcon/Commodore drivers wondering why you'd want 4 pots on a Corolla? To them, we're all driving "girly cars". Thankfully, Mack drivers think Falcons/Commodores are "girly cars", so its all good!

I'm sure there are a heap of hot Echo's (and/or Vitz, or Yaris, or any other associated badge) that would warrant an upgrade. Just look at the turbo Starlets, smaller and lighter than the Echo's, but potentially more power than the best n/a Sportivo's ...

anyways.. im gonna search for some braided lines and better brake fluid....

we'll see if there are any improvements...

--------

just found some callipers. but i dun noe how to read the measurements

Bore size: 1.75"      44,5 mm

Disc width:  .38"     9,7 mm

will this suit the rolla?

Edited by DuGong

Within reason, any increase in brake effectiveness you're gonna achieve by going from single to twin piston brake calipers, you could probably achieve simply by upgrading to higher μ brake pads.

The trade off is that with higher μ pads you'll possibly get more brake squeal.

Upgrading your calipers is probably not worth it in my opinion.

Within reason, any increase in brake effectiveness you're gonna achieve by going from single to twin piston brake calipers, you could probably achieve simply by upgrading to higher μ brake pads.

The trade off is that with higher μ pads you'll possibly get more brake squeal.

Upgrading your calipers is probably not worth it in my opinion.

if you do both then you are in front even more :)

But when u think about it why would you bring out a 4POT kit for a ECHO???? Man how much breaking force do you really need?? :lol: Although this reminds me of a time when my friend in a GTIR was try to catch up to a young lady in a 2door lancer (typical prancer-chrome taillights, droid kit, M3 mirrors) we were coming up to an intersection lights went orange we slowed down and she kept goin!!!We were like oh cr@p i hope she has seen the lights change and at that point she got on the breaks and came to a dead stop!!! We looked on in amazement and releif that she had stopped, glanced over the car and saw a lovely big set of......... BREMBOs :blink::lol: (thought i was gonna say something else then huh??!!)!!! Now im thinking dads a mechanic and wants his little girl to be able to stop when she wants!!!!KEKEKEKEKEEEEE :lol: :D :D

I'd say that the boys who have a 2zz squeezed into an Echo in NZ would be looking for some of these. :P

Braking power really has nothing to do with power of the engine when cruising. Bigger brakes help when you are accelerating at higher g's though. So when travelling at 100km/h and a kangaroo jumps out, I would rather be in an echo with 6 pots than a HSV with 4 pots.

I have 6 pots with 330mm disks on my stivo and get the same question. Had a truck pull out in front of me today without looking. I had no where to go and stomped on the anchors. 1200kg car with 6 pots. Stopped no worries.

The bigger the brakes, the safer you are... its that simple!

i was wondering how many of u have done a caliper and disc upgrade. to something slightly bigger.

wat are my options besides buying full brake kits from branded companies. can i purchase 2nd hand brake calipers and stick em on the rolla?

my current set-up.. .the brake feels sponge at high temps. feels like it wont stop, or that somethings gonna break.

thanks

I changed to DBA slotted rotors and TRD pads on mine and it seems to be braking alot betta than it used to. With the orginal brakes, I realised the car didn't seem to stop but I've noticed the difference since I put the TRD pads in.

• 5 months later...

After recent thrashing of my car...and heavy braking with stock brakes..i have seen the brake discs turn blue...

lololol

do i get ventilated disks or upgrade the pads to stop this from happening??

Slotted discs allow air to flow around the face that assists cooling.

As far as pads go, ideally you want pads that are matched to the discs as far as temp goes.

no point having 500 degree pads if the discs can only take 350 degrees, and vice versa

if the pads are too hard they will chew up the disc pretty fast if the disc is too hard it won't dissipate as much energy.