What type of fuel do you guys use

I filled my tank halfway with Shell Optimax on the weekend and the car feels really slugish and less powerful hi cam mode and it doesent rev as smooth as before either. Could it be a bad batch of fuel coz it hasent happened before? What fuel do you guys recommend?

i recommend mobile synergy 8000

its the cleanest fuel around, and its has the same amount of octane as optimax.

optimax was good a yr ago, but now i cant find a shell with consistant good fuel.

i kno of a few mobiles that have had good fuel more then one occation.

synergy is all i use and recomend.

they say the v8 supercars(nothing super about them) use optimax, but it alot cleaner then the **** we get at stores, esspecially now that colse have made a agreement with shell.

I filled my tank halfway with Shell Optimax on the weekend and the car feels really slugish and less powerful hi cam mode and it doesent rev as smooth as before either. Could it be a bad batch of fuel coz it hasent happened before? What fuel do you guys recommend?

Caltex Vortex is my fave, I find it to give the best response :)

i have tried all the preium fuel on the market.

optimax and synergy8000 r equal in my opinoin, but they ecel in diff fields.

optimax is makes ur car run quiker for sum reason, but synergy makes ur car run better(revs nicer), the fuel is cleaner.

bp ulimate is ****.

I used BP Ultimate for the first 3 tankfulls. Filled up with Optimax last time and the car seems to have lost it's edge. HiCam doesn't seem to kick in quite as hard as before. I'll try another tank from a different Shell servo and see if that makes any difference. If not, I'm back to BP. I won't even try Evolution (I think that's what its called) from Burmah.

I use them all Mobil is the cleanest. But just a thought I ride a Triumph motocyle 955 cc tripple which is just over a year old. Bike mechanics do not recommend optimax as if let for a while it gels up but everything else is ok.

i can't seem to find the info. but a mate at work tested ALL the fuels in his car and had a knock sensor and ping and blah blah all hooked up.

he found that optimax was good...but for normal cars is a little to 'harsh'. it would be more recommend to use the optimax is ferrari's and porshes as they run more fined engines and ecus.

with my levin, i use ultimate, runs like a dream. when i put other things it it, it doesn't pull has hard and doesn't idle very well..sometimes splutters...especially with optimax.

m2cw.

I use Caltex Premium (Vortex?). Its the nicest fuel ive used to date for the 2ZZ, the car seems to rev smoother and lift performs WAAY better. I used to use Mobil Premium but lets face it, it varies so much between mobil to mobil stations, some of them the car feels like its on 50 KW lol ok exhaguration there, but year. I fill caltex all the time now, runs great. No complaints with BP ultimate though, or good Mobil, theyre all tops.

Well i dunno guys but a bad batch like the optimax i had made the car vibrate alot, and the vibrations went all the way through the gearbox, as it become really notchy and i couldnt shift properly in high cam mode, i hope i never experience that againit was shocking. I filled up with Mobil and i have a new car again :D , revs smoother, gearbox is back to normal, the whole car feels great again. And power is back like it should be.

Yeah mate, BIG TIME, I thought the gearbox was stuffing up but I changed the Fuel and it's back to it's normal ***** kicking best. I found it hard to change, and i think it's because the car is under more stress and strain and the forces distribute throughout the whole drivetrain. In hi-cam mode, the car seems to run out of breath on crap fuel, and it takes ages to accelerate and it's very rough. Change fuel mate, you will see the difference. I puty Mobil, and it's alot smoother than Optimax in terms of revving.

I was just speaking to a mate who dropped his Alfa 156 (2litre) back to the dealer for a checkover after an error message came up on his dash. He was told they have had a few Alfa's back in with fuel related problems - all related to an elevated moisture content level in the fuel - all were using Shell Optimax.

This may be the reason a few people are having problems with Optimax at the moment. He said a memo has been circulated to other Alfa workshops to notify them it may be a problem and to check what fuel was in the car.

Anyone else heard anything?

(. . . this is in Sydney)

• 2 weeks later...

looks like I'm changing to Vortex. Have used Optimax since new, and performance and fuel usage is all over the place. I only drive my car on weekends, so maybe the fuel is "going off" sitting in the tank for a long time (as mentioned earlier). High moisture content is a worry aswell. Might run this tank low, add some injector cleaner and fill up on Vortex.

Any comments?

Does anyone use OCTANE BOOST?

i was contemplating on using OCTANE boost every 2 tanks....

using the premium fuel.....we're running 98 RON. plus octane boost....possibly running 100 ROn, which is what the japs use.

What you guys think?

Does anyone use OCTANE BOOST?

i was contemplating on using OCTANE boost every 2 tanks....

using the premium fuel.....we're running 98 RON. plus octane boost....possibly running 100 ROn, which is what the japs use.

What you guys think?

i thought our engines were tuned down so we dont need 100ron.

98 ron (BP ultimate) should be more than enough as its meant to run on normal premium which is 95ron anyways..

Ive been running Optimax the whole time, ive been getting good economy and performance, but i also drive the car everyday and the longest that the car has sat without being driven has been 1 full day so i havent had the moisture problem

I have been using Optimax ever since and had no probs with it at all... I still thnk Optimax is the best fuel however u do get different batches from store to store. U just have to find the best service station and keep filling up at the same place. Different Shell stores use different fuel. Depends who they sign up with as their supplier.