sportivo vs fto gpx and gr

which car do u guys think is better? overall, cornering, straight line, reliability(if the fto was at the same age as my 2003 sportivo), because my friend always says he will be better and wanna race me in the hill and he's got an fto gr, the reason why i ask about the gpx is because if he lose he probably say "the gpx will rip your XXX" most fto drivers are very proud of their car

Edited by sportiyo

Overall FTO is a better car, it did win car of the year in japan for a reason. They are awesome cars, dont even look outdated and they have been around for a long time as well. Very torquey cars plus handle like crazy stock compared to a stivo.

its the truth but i still luv my stivo haha :lol::lol::lol:

you do get teh same car in GTO right?

whats the diffrence?

GTO is a 4wd coupe, which is twin turbo - maybe built to challenge the GTR32-33, and supra of the days?

FTO is an NA powerd 4 cylinder MIVEC engine - to target the ever growing integra, civic phase of VTEC - which is still going on...lucky for us it's the VVTI or VVTI-L that's fueling our blood lust :P

was being unproductive at work today :o , and typed in ' civic vs corolla vs mazda' - OZ honda and OZ mazda ppls are crazy :blink: every known insult under the sun has been thrown at the STIVo and how it's not as cracked up as the data shows it to be! :angry: <_< when's the next drag day in melbourne.... :D

whats the diffrence?

GTO is a 4wd coupe, which is twin turbo - maybe built to challenge the GTR32-33, and supra of the days?

FTO is an NA powerd 4 cylinder MIVEC engine - to target the ever growing integra, civic phase of VTEC - which is still going on...lucky for us it's the VVTI or VVTI-L that's fueling our blood lust :P

was being unproductive at work today :o , and typed in ' civic vs corolla vs mazda' - OZ honda and OZ mazda ppls are crazy :blink: every known insult under the sun has been thrown at the STIVo and how it's not as cracked up as the data shows it to be! :angry: <_< when's the next drag day in melbourne.... :D

Believe me i know. Im always on the Ozhonda forums, and some of disregard the stivo altogether. They reckon its not worth the money, yet years ago when the Civic vti-r was sold in aus it cost more than a stivo does now and it has WAY less features and less performance...interesting.

As for the FTO...the tiptronic's are slugs and before i bought the Stivo i was researching them and there seems to be alot of problems associated with the tiptronic box and other areas of the car. GR...umm no can anyone say ***** weak? GPX...they do have a nice sound, 2.0 v6 beautiful engine but it just isnt that quick...i reckon it would be about the same as the Stivo if not, just a little bit quicker (Manual only, the tiptronic is very poor).

Edited by Strawberryface

whats the diffrence?

AH ok!

whats the diffrence?

Believe me i know. Im always on the Ozhonda forums, and some of disregard the stivo altogether. They reckon its not worth the money, yet years ago when the Civic vti-r was sold in aus it cost more than a stivo does now and it has WAY less features and less performance...interesting.

As for the FTO...the tiptronic's are slugs and before i bought the Stivo i was researching them and there seems to be alot of problems associated with the tiptronic box and other areas of the car. GR...umm no can anyone say ***** weak? GPX...they do have a nice sound, 2.0 v6 beautiful engine but it just isnt that quick...i reckon it would be about the same as the Stivo if not, just a little bit quicker (Manual only, the tiptronic is very poor).

Yup i agree... my gf had a fto gr (tiptronic) and i owned it off the line with my stock ascent, even goin uphill :P she was pretty ****** bout it...cause her fto "looked" faster :lol: so dont be scared of the ft-slow.. own them wen u see one! but i must say the handling is bloody good. loved cornering with that thing on mt roads goin 130+ :ph34r: also the ride hight is nice n low... makes driving my rolla feel like driving a 4WD (at least we'll be safer if we're hit by one) :blink:

whats the diffrence?

when the FTO was car of the year, the dc2r wasn't even born yet.

but when the dc2r was born... mitsu tried to counter with a GP version R. comes with tighter suspension, LSD, front and rear stiffer sway bar, HID and a larger rear spoiler. It also is a little lighter than the GPX by around 50-75Kg.

there are essentially 3 motors for the FTO auto(tiptronic) and manual forms.

the base model is a 4cylinder, same motor as the 1.8L(4G93) lancers and mirages. known as the GX, comes with steelies and hubcaps from factory. about 125hp at the fly

then there is the 6A12 which is the 2L V6. known as the GR. about 180hp at the fly

and finally there is the GPX. essentially the same motor as the GR plus mivec. about 200hp at the fly

the GR is a little bit slower than the GPX, but not significantly.

in a straight-line stivo vs manual GPX is a driver's race. the GPX should be a whisker faster tho.

around the track/bends i'm not sure. however i have seen an FTO with a 2.5L motor and a turbo at the track. i suspect that was galant VR4 running gear. it was quick! but it was getting too hot to run on the track, so the owner took it off. however, on a mountain run with decent drivers, my money is still on the V6 FTO, if u look below at the dyno graphs and study the power delivery, u'll understand why.

i nearly bought one instead of the stivo. but i couldn't live with the build quality. it wasn't quite up to my expectations even in comparison to cars of the same era. and also i needed a nice boot and to sit 4 ppl properly. i still think it's a lovely car. maybe later on... :)

the later last gen GTOs were a technological marvel for that time. it had active 4 wheel steering, active spoilers, active suspension. but it was heavy!

mivec 2L V6

mivec.jpg

2L V6

2000.jpg

1.8L IL4

1800.jpg

Edited by shaohaok

the gpx has 200nm of torque at around 4000rpm, so really not that torquey at all for a 6 cylinder.

but then again, a 2 litre 6 just seems like a waste.

One of my friends has one, he says its a gpx but im not sure cos its got nothing, the stivo eats it.

however, he has spent more money on gearboxes than i have on my entire car.

Yeah. i also looked at the FTO when i was in the market for a new car...the reason why I went stivo was cause it was new, leather, climate control, 14i~ish KW engine with a 1.8Ltr engine....couldn't pass it up.

at the time the small-block V6 Mivec engine looked really tempting. I Buri_Sportivo, each and their own, i reakon the FTO shape is really nice. but at the end of the day, the prospect of a new car far outweighed the advantages of the FTO.

Oh, and i've had two friends with the Mitsu GTO. they might be heavy but Twin turbo 6Cylinder AWD sportscar. that thing hauls! wit 4 people in the car, when you spool up those turbos, ur guts hit ur spine as the thing pulls away...so much torque. beautiful cars to boot! love em! :lol:

And about other forums bagging out the s'tivo, those guys can bag out the sportivo as much as they want. it only shows you what type of people they are. I have no dilusions about my car or any other. The Sportivo is no supercar, but then neither is the Civic VTiR, FTO, Astra Turbo or anthing else in and around this class. i love all cars for what they are and enjoy driving them all. you can analyse figures all paper all day long and talk like you know all you want, but until you actually open ur mind and drive all these cars, ur opinion means nothing to me!

Edited by qkslvr

Nice car the FTO GPX, the 8000plus rpm Mivec V6 24 valve motor sounds sweet with a pod filter inplace. But i think Mitsubishi stuffed up the gear ratios like Toyota did with the Celica/Stivo's 6 speed box and on upshift the motor is not in the heart of MIVEC. From videos the FTO can do the 1/4mile in the low-mid 15s, but their 1st gear was quick due to the extra torque down low. The FTO always jumped out the blocks but by the end of 1st gear the DC2R would be line ball and 2nd gear onwards its all gone. That was when the FTO was new and it was tested in Japan. The DC2R always kills the FTO at the drag or the track, even the GP VersionR, but Honda put more emphasis on making the DC2R Integra a true track car, while Mitsubishi's FTO is more a luxurious Sports Coupe, like what Toyota intended for the Celica hence the TypeR really is out of the question when you compare performance. Heck back then the Integra chomped up everything other car manufacturers threw at it, even the Series 1 S14 got killed at the drag and track, the earlier WRX "STI" was also given a very hard time by the 1800cc NA. Comparing the Stivo to the FTO all comes down to the cars condition and driver. The FTO GPX in good condition has more power (147kw) and more torque and less weight than the Stivo.

the gpx has 200nm of torque at around 4000rpm, so really not that torquey at all for a 6 cylinder.

but then again, a 2 litre 6 just seems like a waste.

One of my friends has one, he says its a gpx but im not sure cos its got nothing, the stivo eats it.

however, he has spent more money on gearboxes than i have on my entire car.

number of cylinders means bugger all for torque. it's just requirements for things like packaging, piston velocity, refinement, engine balancing, etc. displacement is usually wat determines torque for NA.

• 3 months later...

And about other forums bagging out the s'tivo, those guys can bag out the sportivo as much as they want. it only shows you what type of people they are. I have no dilusions about my car or any other. The Sportivo is no supercar, but then neither is the Civic VTiR, FTO, Astra Turbo or anthing else in and around this class. i love all cars for what they are and enjoy driving them all. you can analyse figures all paper all day long and talk like you know all you want, but until you actually open ur mind and drive all these cars, ur opinion means nothing to me!

Great words of true wisdom! B)

Its not what you wear, but how you wear it... =>... "It's not what you drive. It's how you drive it"

• 2 months later...

i own a sportivo 2005 now but i just sold a gpx 95 and believe me it was qiucker then the stivo but it didnt have much more torque the way i know is with air con on both cars struggle of lights and they were pretty much the same in 2nd set of valaves kikn in but my fto did handle alot better and it went 0-100 in 7.2 or close and this stivo is said to be 8.4 id say 8.o so overall it was quicker on straight nd in corners.

Time for me to share my thoughts.

FTO GPX is a sports coupe with a red hot engine.

GR is for people that are after the looks.

Sportivo is the power of a hot hatch and the practicality of a normal hatchback.

I have no doubt that the FTO GPX will win in say a straight line, around corners etc. It was built for that purpose in mind, chasis was designed to do that. But I would prefer a sportivo as it can seat five people reasonably more comfortable then the FTO, and give me a bit of excitment when required.

yeh i do love my sportivo heaps more then my old fto even though i threw 13 k into the fto and the tivo is stock i love the toyota its so practical the fto was a pain in the as s to use anyway heres the pics of it

yeh i do love my sportivo heaps more then my old fto even though i threw 13 k into the fto and the tivo is stock i love the toyota its so practical the fto was a pain in the as s to use anyway heres the pics of it

yeah the thing i dont like bout the fto is the very very small windows, unless u have a sunroof, its like in a jail