SPRINGS AND KONIS

JAZE55

I have read through many posts regardings this but what is a rough price i should expect to get these for. I wanted coilovers but cant seem 2 get them at a descent price. So am opting for spring/shock combo

KINGS LOW

YELLOW KONIS

For a sportivo

In sydney, any particular shop you guys recommend

thnx jason

also to confirm are KONIS rebuildable?

Kings springs $220

Koni sport adjustables $1020.

freight roughly to Sydney @$40.

PM me if you need to know more :D

i want i want!

King springs that is. What model number is it?

How would they cost to install though?

Would the store i buy my tyres and rims off be prepared to install it? Or do i need to buy the springs from them?

Also does it void my warranty?

How many variations do they come in? As im only looking to drop 1"

What model number springs should I be looking at?

Edited by neK

Will void any part of the warranty it directly relates too.. ie. Shocks

1 inch drop you'd be wanting King Lows 35mm drop (which is actually 1.5inches)

Superlows is 50mm drop

p.s. Dont bother with the Koni Yellows.. save your self some money and get the koni Reds..

only diff is you cant adjust them on the fly

Edited by MotoMan

Superlows is 50mm drop

p.s. Dont bother with the Koni Yellows.. save your self some money and get the koni Reds..

Would you care to elaborate on your comment for KONI reds, are they just normal shortened travel shocks with no damping

silva just a quick question how much would KOni reds be if you can get the price thnx

also are KONIS rebuildable

So their arent multiple variations of King Lows, i was under the impression that the King Low springs can in different sizes and stuff (ie effecting the ride height).

Would I be right in saying so as long as I ask for King Spings Lows for the corolla im only going to drop 1.5" max.

Whats the legal limit you can drop btw?

I'm looking at putting on 215/45/R17's and my corolla doesnt have a body kit and I dont intend on putting one on. Would that 1.5" drop look ok? Or would my car still look too high?

Will I also need new shocks? Or its not necessary as the drop is minor?

And how do King compare with Kmac ?

Edited by neK

So their arent multiple variations of King Lows, i was under the impression that the King Low springs can in different sizes and stuff (ie effecting the ride height).

Would I be right in saying so as long as I ask for King Spings Lows for the corolla im only going to drop 1.5" max.

I'm looking at putting on 215/45/R17's and my corolla doesnt have a body kit and I dont intend on putting one on. Would that 1.5" drop look ok? Or would my car still look too high?

u can drop until the lowest point on ur car is 100mm off the ground minimum

soem insurance companies .. such as NRMA, AAMI etc will only allow 30mm drop

u want king LOW not super low if u want 1.5inch drop

215/45 will touch on your guards depending on the offset of your rims. New struts will make it better as the stock ones will not last forever(prolly about 18 months) Kings are prolly the biggest manufacturer of springs in Australia and supply a lot of other companies who rebrand to their own product line. Kmac are not really heard of anymore in Australia. Kings will also be cheaper than Kmac.

215/45 will touch on your guards depending on the offset of your rims. New struts will make it better as the stock ones will not last forever(prolly about 18 months) Kings are prolly the biggest manufacturer of springs in Australia and supply a lot of other companies who rebrand to their own product line. Kmac are not really heard of anymore in Australia. Kings will also be cheaper than Kmac.

Ummm im looking at the holotype-r

Here's the info ive manged to get

17x7.0 ET38 4x100

Suits most popular 4-stud FWD vehicles.

http://www.speedywheels.com.au/images/zoom/holotype-r.htm

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/custo...olotype-R.shtml

Offset = 42mm

Lug Pattern = 4x100mm.

So putting 215/45/R17 on this wheel will cause it to touch my guards right?

What wheel size would not touch the guards? 205/45/R17?

Edited by neK

Superlows is 50mm drop

Koni reds are not avaliable for the corolla range,, 02 upwards looked into it today.. for the man looking at buying the holotype r's check out my garage for a comparisson also please be smart and get 215/40 not 215/45 you will have issues unless you do what i am currently doing with a trial with camber and obviously suspension... rubbing is not fun and neither is bottoming out.. (215/40) only if your just dropping without a camber change... trust me on this one

Superlows is 50mm drop

Koni reds are not avaliable for the corolla range,, 02 upwards looked into it today.. for the man looking at buying the holotype r's check out my garage for a comparisson also please be smart and get 215/40 not 215/45 you will have issues unless you do what i am currently doing with a trial with camber and obviously suspension... rubbing is not fun and neither is bottoming out.. (215/40) only if your just dropping without a camber change... trust me on this one

^^ trust wat he said.

however if i dont lower the car and leave it as stock height, running 215/45/R17's will not pose any problems right?

A quick calculation using http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html shows the following

195/60/R15

Sidewall: 117mm

Radius: 307.50mm

Diameter: 615mm

Circumference: 1932.1

215/45/R17

Sidewall: 96.8mm

Radius: 312.6mm

Diameter: 625.3mm

Circumference: 1964.4.

Has anyone here run 215/45/R17's on a NON lowered corolla?

however if i dont lower the car and leave it as stock height, running 215/45/R17's will not pose any problems right?

A quick calculation using http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html shows the following

195/60/R15

215/45/R17

i used 215/45r17 on a +40 offset 17" rim

then +42 17" same tyres

still scrubbed but less.

tried 215/45 on the +42 rim. back to square one

215/40r17 with the +42 was perfect.

if u punch in 205/45 and 215/40 it's still quite close to 195/55r16

ultimately it's still up to u and the design of your rim and tyre. some tyres have wider squarer shoulders. i'm just telling u safe numbers.

215/45r17 with stock suspension will get u strange handling. sure it will feel a little more responsive, but the tail will start to swing violently if u start to really push it. and dun go down the lowering spring and stock shock route.

195/60/R15

215/45/R17

i used 215/45r17 on a +40 offset 17" rim

then +42 17" same tyres

still scrubbed but less.

tried 215/45 on the +42 rim. back to square one

215/40r17 with the +42 was perfect.

if u punch in 205/45 and 215/40 it's still quite close to 195/55r16

ultimately it's still up to u and the design of your rim and tyre. some tyres have wider squarer shoulders. i'm just telling u safe numbers.

215/45r17 with stock suspension will get u strange handling. sure it will feel a little more responsive, but the tail will start to swing violently if u start to really push it. and dun go down the lowering spring and stock shock route.

^^^strongly agree with this statement :D

ugh!

I didnt know there were issues going down the lowered springs (35mm drop) and stock suspension.

My mate did it to his and he says its fine.... even the tyre shop told him it was ok.

Btw does anyone know the usual price difference on 215/45 vs 215/40's vs 205/40

I believe some of this advice is inaccurate.

215/40/17 is the ideal tyre size, but be careful because to my knowledge there are no tyres of any brand available in this country in this size that meet the required Load Rating which is a legal requirement. Remember if your car is not legal it can be defected or worse still void insurance policies. Please correct me if I'm wrong & if there is such a tyre please let me know.

215/45/17 will scrub but only in extreme driving situations. I push my car pretty hard daily with this tyre size & just 35mm King Springs & the only time I getting scrubbing is when I'm driving hard through the Nasho. Most people in the Sydney club will tell you that while this is great road for corners it can get rough in sections. I have no problems with this size tyre & suspension set up & everything is legal according to the RTA & therefore insurable even with the Big Boys including NRMA who I'm with.

I find the standard shocks in the Sportivo suitable for daily driving with 35mm Kings. I know they won't last forever but for now, no problem. If you have the money for aftermarket shocks than great but don't be to concerned if you don't. You will still notice a dramatic improvement over standard with just the change in springs.

Also to Nek, as far a different ride heights are concerned check out your other thread for the photo's I posted. You will see low certainly looks alot better. If you decide not to lower your car it will still feel a little better with just the rim & tyre change you have talked about. More direct turn in & less sidewall movement.

215/40/17 is the ideal tyre size, but be careful because to my knowledge there are no tyres of any brand available in this country in this size that meet the required Load Rating which is a legal requirement. Remember if your car is not legal it can be defected or worse still void insurance policies. Please correct me if I'm wrong & if there is such a tyre please let me know.

when i was looking around, there weren't many brands with that size. basically i had 2 choices:

yokohama A539 87W -$268

michelin pilot preceda 87V - $415

needless to say which one i picked...

this sticky might also help u out:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=2905

215/45/17 will scrub but only in extreme driving situations. I push my car pretty hard daily with this tyre size & just 35mm King Springs & the only time I getting scrubbing is when I'm driving hard through the Nasho. Most people in the Sydney club will tell you that while this is great road for corners it can get rough in sections. I have no problems with this size tyre & suspension set up & everything is legal according to the RTA & therefore insurable even with the Big Boys including NRMA who I'm with.

NORMAL driving, i had HOLES made in my guard liners. like i said it also depends on wheel design and tyre type. stack 2 different 215/40r17 tyres next to each other and u will notice that they won't have the same height. some tyres have larger squarer shoulders, which could be enough to just clip something in the arches.

I find the standard shocks in the Sportivo suitable for daily driving with 35mm Kings. I know they won't last forever but for now, no problem. If you have the money for aftermarket shocks than great but don't be to concerned if you don't. You will still notice a dramatic improvement over standard with just the change in springs.

they will most likely last u about 5000km. then after that u will start to notice that your suspension bottoms out if more than crawl over any speed bump. u will also **** yourself if u run over a bump mid-corner and u will also find that after changing lanes on the freeway, u're still swaying around. lowering springs and stock shocks? famous last words, mate, change ya shocks as soon as u can. read thru the history of this forum if u have time, there has been some debate on this, if u don't trust experience, at least trust those who went off to change shocks after claiming that lowering springs alone are fine.

Also to Nek, as far a different ride heights are concerned check out your other thread for the photo's I posted. You will see low certainly looks alot better. If you decide not to lower your car it will still feel a little better with just the rim & tyre change you have talked about. More direct turn in & less sidewall movement.

more direct turn in and less sidewall movement on a wallowy suspension is a recipe for some sliding action when u least need it. :)

hope that helps

Thank you for your comments shaohaok I appreciate the information. To let you know I have been driving for 15 years & through my connections in motor industry I have had the opportunity to own & drive many modified cars in all kinds of situations. I have a good understanding on how to set up a vehilce & how to get the most out of it.

I'm pretty sure the Yokohama tyres you have mentioned are no longer available anymore & the Michelins, well if you have the money than great.

I run Bridgestone Potenza G111 in a 215/45/17. These tyres have very square look & as I said previously I have minimal problems. I would recommend these tyres to anyone.

I have given my shocks hell with 35mm kings springs for just over 20k & they are still holding up. Than again I have always crawled over speed humps more to minimize shock to the car than anything else. I appreciate that changing your shocks is a good idea & they will give you improved handling I have experienced them in the past as well as coilover units but it your budget doesn't allow for it in the beginning than thats O.K. you can change them later as I'm sure I will be doing sooner or later. As for know my first child is about to be born so he/she is priority No.1 :D :D :D :D :D :unsure:

hmmmz BLKRLA are you running 215/45/R17 on both car pics you posted up - Stalkers (are they the Advanti ones) and Enkei RP03.

And what offset are they?

Edited by neK

Thank you for your comments shaohaok I appreciate the information. To let you know I have been driving for 15 years & through my connections in motor industry I have had the opportunity to own & drive many modified cars in all kinds of situations. I have a good understanding on how to set up a vehilce & how to get the most out of it.

I'm pretty sure the Yokohama tyres you have mentioned are no longer available anymore & the Michelins, well if you have the money than great.

I run Bridgestone Potenza G111 in a 215/45/17. These tyres have very square look & as I said previously I have minimal problems. I would recommend these tyres to anyone.

I have given my shocks hell with 35mm kings springs for just over 20k & they are still holding up. Than again I have always crawled over speed humps more to minimize shock to the car than anything else. I appreciate that changing your shocks is a good idea & they will give you improved handling I have experienced them in the past as well as coilover units but it your budget doesn't allow for it in the beginning than thats O.K. you can change them later as I'm sure I will be doing sooner or later. As for know my first child is about to be born so he/she is priority No.1 :D :D :D :D :D :unsure:

Fulda make a 215/40/17 with the correct load rating so do yokohama, Pirelli,Bridgestone(fulda is a subsidiary co of Bridgestone rev spec) and Toyo.

I stand corrected on the tyre sizing. It has been sometime since I have researched tyre sizes. For the record there are 215/40/17 tyres available that meet the required Load Rating. My apoligies for this error.

Also just to clarify a point I made earlier, my comments about the Yokohama A539 not being available where about the size not the name. I have used this tyre before in a different size on another vehicle & have found them to be excellent & were actually my first choice of brand. I was advised that they were no longer available when I made my last purchase by a close friend who owns a tyre shop & to cut a long story short this is how I have ended up with the Bridgstones that I currently run which are also an excellent tyre. I'm actually happier in the long run as the Bridgestone's are better wearing & with the extra size in profile a little more comfortable, this is important on Sydney roads.

Fulda make a 215/40/17 with the correct load rating so do yokohama, Pirelli,Bridgestone(fulda is a subsidiary co of Bridgestone rev spec) and Toyo.

Slightly offtopic, but are Fulda tyres better or are Toyo tyres better?

Edited by neK

I stand corrected on the tyre sizing. It has been sometime since I have researched tyre sizes. For the record there are 215/40/17 tyres available that meet the required Load Rating. My apoligies for this error.

Also just to clarify a point I made earlier, my comments about the Yokohama A539 not being available where about the size not the name. I have used this tyre before in a different size on another vehicle & have found them to be excellent & were actually my first choice of brand. I was advised that they were no longer available when I made my last purchase by a close friend who owns a tyre shop & to cut a long story short this is how I have ended up with the Bridgstones that I currently run which are also an excellent tyre. I'm actually happier in the long run as the Bridgestone's are better wearing & with the extra size in profile a little more comfortable, this is important on Sydney roads.

yeah they have been supeceded by the C drives. they are a nice tyre aren't they. VERY good feedback. and they let go so gently and prorgressively.