Tranny oil for Toyota 6 speed

Hi guys, i am looking at replacing my tranny oil as i am having diificulties with shifting and i have a few brands in mind. I was told by Toyota to use a 75W90 tranny oil. The easiest to source is the Synthetic Castrol Syntrax 75W90 which costs $22 per litre. Others brands include the reknowned Redline, Mobil, Motul and Elf but would be harder to source. Has any of you guys with the Celica 6 speed had your tranny oil changed? Please let me know about your experiences and recommendations. Also how much oil does the Stivo's tranny require?

Another question is that my Stivo has only clocked 6000kms and i have heard some people say its not advisable to have the tranny oil changed that early. What do yous think?

Thanks in advance :)

Zee

this info would be most helpful, as my transmission is very very hard to shift now.

(maybe due to the fact that i 1/2 clutch all the time)

I brought my car back to MCT and told them that the transmission is really stiff, so they took the car and apparently put in "custom" tranny oil. They said that they knew about this problem and used a custom oil to solve it.

Well, it's not as stiff as it used to be now but could definitely still be improved.

I think the "custom" oil could be half motor oil and half tranny oil. Danthuyer was telling me some people find that motor oil works well to solve the stiff shifting issues. But currently i am looking at a complete tranny fluid change. Migh go the Castrol Syntrax becasue its the easiest to source.

As Zee mentioned. 'Toyota' techs put 5W-30 motor oil into my Transmision to see how things went and all is good so far. The box is not as sloppy and feels alot firmer without the 'locking up' that we are used to.

This may not be the resolve for everyone. This is what toyota tested with my car and it seems to have temporarily 'solved' the issue. DO NOT quote me as a 'fix' for this issue. I do not reccomend people follow my lead. If you do, do so at your own risk

As Zee mentioned. 'Toyota' techs put 5W-30 motor oil into my Transmision to see how things went and all is good so far. The box is not as sloppy and feels alot firmer without the 'locking up' that we are used to.

This may not be the resolve for everyone. This is what toyota tested with my car and it seems to have temporarily 'solved' the issue. DO NOT quote me as a 'fix' for this issue. I do not reccomend people follow my lead. If you do, do so at your own risk

I second what Danthuyer said. Sorry Craig, my bad ;)

Hi guys

Exactly what do you guys mean by a stiff tranny? Is it reluctant to come out of gear or go into gear? I find that my car is sometimes reluctant to comer out of one. And its very notch going into gear. But the harder I ride it, the more precise it becomes (though it does require additional wrist effort ( a firmer hand) at high rpm. Do any of you also experience this scratchy / notchy feeling when coming out of 1st gear (in extreme cases it feels as if the clutch has not been depressed when trying to come out of 1st)?

Hi guys

Exactly what do you guys mean by a stiff tranny? Is it reluctant to come out of gear or go into gear? I find that my car is sometimes reluctant to comer out of one. And its very notch going into gear. But the harder I ride it, the more precise it becomes (though it does require additional wrist effort ( a firmer hand) at high rpm. Do any of you also experience this scratchy / notchy feeling when coming out of 1st gear (in extreme cases it feels as if the clutch has not been depressed when trying to come out of 1st)?

Spot on mate, so i guess all Stivos get this problem. That's the reason for this post? Anyone had any luck with good tranny oils besides the "custom" oil?

Okay guys, i purchased 2 X 1liter bottles of Castrol Syntrax Fully Synthetic Tranny oil today from Super Cheap Auto for $24.95 each bottle = $50 bucks! The Corolla Manual recommends using 75W90 GL5 oil and needs 2.3liters of it but couldn't find any more in store :blink: If any of you are planning to get the Castrol oil be aware there are only 2 Synthtic gear oils by Castrol and they are bloody confusing! One is called SYNTRANS 75W85, and the other which i've got is SYNTRAX 75W90 and the oil is dyed RED. They cost about the same and the bottles are both grey so be careful! I will have them put in in a weeks time by Toyota and will let you all know about the result. Crossing my fingers :D

• 2 weeks later...

Forget it guys :angry: The tranny oil change did nothing to solve the problem, i am just going to accept the fact. Was worth a try though and i can be more confident with pushing the tranny now with a full synthetic oil. However i can't help but wonder if Toyota really did change the oil for me or maybe some poor mechanic decided to keep my $50 worth of tranny oil for himself. I will find out though because the Castrol Syntrax is red in colour. Also another interesting thing Toyota did was they used a less than expected amount of lubricant. With my engine oil as well they used about 3.8-4L of engine oil and with the tranny, the manual states 2.4L but they only used 2 bottles of Castrol Syntrax which is 2L. But i have decided not to go back to this dealership again for service.

Zee

Hi ZEEROLLA,

Sorry to hear the fix didnt work out. Care to fill us in on which dealership we should avoid ????

Cheers

Bill

It was actually TORY TOYOTA at Albion Park Rail that i brought my Stivo into. Apparently Wollongong Toyota is also owned by Tory so that is it for the 2 Toyota dealerships in the Wollongong and Shellharbour area. I will have to either drive up to Sydney or further down south to find another Toyota dealership.

Hi there, again

I got one of the senior technical guys from the factory to test my car again to check the gearbox. They have researched the current box and the notchiness is not a malfunction. I now find that changes a superslick when shifting at about 4000 rpm, after the box has warmed up. The box feels a lot better now that I've stopped concentrating on the damn thing :blink:

I find that the gearbox shifter is only hard to shift at very high revs. Any revs below 7500rpm is fine, but it just pi55es me off because i keep falling out of Lift. If i am driving a V8 or a turbo car then i don't care if the shifter was slow as i will still be in the fat torque band. But for the 2ZZGE and the VTEC equipped cars the gearbox and shifting quality is crucial. That is the only reason why the Celica and Stivo will get outdragged by other cars. Anyway, the gearbox does feel slightly better after the oil change especially notable in the morning when the car is still cold. The gearbox is smooth to shift right from the turn of the key now instead of having to wait for the car to fully warm up. I guess that is the only difference the Synthetic oil has made to the gearbox.

Zee

• 4 years later...

so in conclusion which oil was the best to use for the tranny.. because im having problems changing atm dunno if i have to adjust the friction point of my clutch or if its the gearbox...? can any help

Edited by Shaneo

so in conclusion which oil was the best to use for the tranny.. because im having problems changing atm dunno if i have to adjust the friction point of my clutch or if its the gearbox...? can any help

I just filled up with amsoil 75w90 feels a bit better when shifting I hear redline is also good