Engine Oil

hey guys... can anyone recommend engine oil for our sportivo's?

since its a high revving engine shouldn't fully synthetic be the optimum? ;)

and the thinner the better? suggestions appreciated :P

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i changed my oil to 0W40 mobil 1. i think it revs a little better and a little smoother. i can't say that it does wonders tho... 

thats the best mobil1 yeh? how much does a 5litre thing cost? expensive... :P

Mobil 1 is 5W50 and it costs around $60. I used Castrol R 5W30 Synthetic recommended for high performance 4 cylinder cars and it cost around $40 and only because the manual recommends 5W30. I don't think engine oils will make much difference unless you take the car to the track or you do endurance races. Castrol also has a 0W40 Synthetic at same price as Mobil 1. A cheap and safe option is to go Toyota Genuine mineral oil rated at 10W30 for $25, but Synthetic will be better.

While u guys are talkin abt oil..Is it neccessary to change ur oil every 5000km or wait till my 10000 service..?? n pplz who do change ur own oils on ur car, wat have u found best for our car? any info n tips wud realli help..thanks guys

one other thing..?? using a particular oil filter do anything??

While u guys are talkin abt oil..Is it neccessary to change ur oil every 5000km or wait till my 10000 service..?? n pplz who do change ur own oils on ur car, wat have u found best for our car? any info n tips wud realli help..thanks guys

one other thing..using a particular oil filter do anything??

My dealer used Havoline Energy at 1000km. I changed to Castrol R 5W30 Synthetic at 5000km.

I've used Mobil1 before (in other cars) - the Castrol is cheaper and runs just as well.

I've heard you shouldn't use synthetic before the 2nd or 3rd change...?

one other thing..using a particular oil filter do anything??

I think it has been discussed before but i will recap if i can remember all.. Umm with engile oil change intervals it all depends on how you drive. The more agressive and more stop start driving you do, oil change at 5000km interval is recommended. I personally would do it more often because its only another $40-$50 every 5000km but would give you a peace of mind. As with oil filters, its better to use genuine Toyota for warranty issues. I think some guys here don't do that due to costs but it would be a gamble with your warranty.

After 20,000 run in on toyota oil, I switched to mobil 1, just curious to ask, has anyone found their engines burn a bit of the thinner synthetic?

My engine didn't use a drop of toyota, but has burned about 500ml of mobil 1 over 8000klm.

I have heard because it is a thinner oil that is more likley to use a little, esp if you give it some :P

One other reason I went for a full synthetic, was that 10,000 klm isn't a hard task for a good oil, so I just give toyota the mobil1 and let them do it (a little lazy I know).

ZEEROLLA is right thou, changing the oil at 5,000 does restore power.

personally, i try as much as possible to change it at 5000km. coz i drive it fairly hard everyday. not like redlining it all the time but just below that :P

the other thing u might wanna consider is the time u are going to keep the car. if u are only going to keep it for like less than 3-4years and not do too many mods or hard driving. i wouldn't worry too much. coz that money is basically being thrown at the next owner, if u see what i mean. and when u sell it, it doesn't mean anything if u have been using synthetic oil every 5000km.

Each time i have changed the oil (5000 and 10000) i have a little bit of a burnt smell from the engine for the first 100 - 200 Km, im using caltex fully synthetic, it goes away after that, will change the oil in 2 weeks (15000)

Good point shaohaok, I reckon around 3yr/100,000 for me, by then, we should have a few 200+ hp hot hatches on our shores, and that's a keen number for me B)

Hopefully we have not implemented speed restrictors on cars by then! Did you guys see the program that day on the possibility of implementing speed restrictors like the Japs do to their cars?

• 4 weeks later...

I just used normal toyota oil this service (which in fact is valvalene)....but next service i will get the Toyota Variable Valve Timing oil....mite work out a little cheaper actually!

I just used normal toyota oil this service (which in fact is valvalene)....but next service i will get the Toyota Variable Valve Timing oil....mite work out a little cheaper actually!

Is the 10W30 Toyota VVTi oil (mineral) made by Valvoline as well or something recommended by Toyota Japan for our engines? I am thinking of switching back to using Toyota's mineral oil on my next service (10,000km). I am having doubts about some mechanics' integrity hence to save the worrying i am reverting back to genuine Toyota. Its cheaper anyway and the engine oil don't seem to make too much of a difference.