Help on legal load ratings please (I'm confused)!

grima88

Hi all,

I've got a question which may seem a little stupid to some but I need to know. If I replace my stock ascent rims (with stock tyres 195/60R15-88V) with sportivo rims (but with tyres 205/50R16-87V) will this be legal? Because I know the load rating on stivo rims r 87V, but must I still follow the 88V rating given on the sticker inside my glove box (for the stock ascent rims)? (I hope I didn't confuse any1). Can any1 answer this or point in the direction of another post that does?

PS: yes I did do a search on this b4 posting n I couldnt find an answer.

Thanks in advance guys! ;)

Given that both cars weigh relatively the same and have the same suspension the comparison between the 87V and the 88V ratings is sweet bugger all. You won't have any problems with insurance as they are genuine Toyota rims and comply with transport dept rules as far as going to bigger rim. 1 inch wider and 1 inch taller in diameter is the ruling as far as I"m aware and the load rating and speed rating of the stock Sportivo tyre(turanza's) is almost the saema sthe stocko 15's.

If it's an issue that worries you then change the tyres on the sportivo rims to something that has 88V rating.

Given that both cars weigh relatively the same and have the same suspension the comparison between the 87V and the 88V ratings is sweet bugger all. You won't have any problems with insurance as they are genuine Toyota rims and comply with transport dept rules as far as going to bigger rim. 1 inch wider and 1 inch taller in diameter is the ruling as far as I"m aware and the load rating and speed rating of the stock Sportivo tyre(turanza's) is almost the saema sthe stocko 15's.

If it's an issue that worries you then change the tyres on the sportivo rims to something that has 88V rating.

Yea I think ur rite il just get 205/50R16-87V cos u cant find 88V load ratings on this size tyre (bloody toyota had to make life difficult lol)

Now its just a matter of finding a set of 5 sportivo rims for the rite price lol :D

The load rating for your car is there for a reason. Don't ignore it.

Technically your car would be unroadworthy if you threw on the Corolla Sportivo wheels with those tyres. You get into an accident and they find out your car is unroadworthy, guess who'll be automatically responsible? It's one of those things that isn't commonly checked by police. Yes I know it's only a difference of 1 in load rating (I have this problem too) but what can you do unless your modification has been approved by your local road authorties or TAC I think.

Technically your car would be unroadworthy if you threw on the Corolla Sportivo wheels with those tyres. You get into an accident and they find out your car is unroadworthy, guess who'll be automatically responsible? It's one of those things that isn't commonly checked by police. Yes I know it's only a difference of 1 in load rating (I have this problem too) but what can you do unless your modification has been approved by your local road authorties or TAC I think.

Yea those were my original thoughts but I was thinking n u can prob. answer this: I thought the load rating was of the rims (not the car) meaning if I change the rims then I will have to only follow the load rating of the new rims (ie in this case 87V on the stivo rims). Am I right or wrong? Does anybody know?

Yea those were my original thoughts but I was thinking n u can prob. answer this: I thought the load rating was of the rims (not the car) meaning if I change the rims then I will have to only follow the load rating of the new rims (ie in this case 87V on the stivo rims). Am I right or wrong? Does anybody know?

No, you need to follow the load ratings for your car. Your tyre placard is in your glovebox.

No, you need to follow the load ratings for your car. Your tyre placard is in your glovebox.

Damn it! Thanks for the help mate, but then I spose the next question is can you get 205/50R16 with an 88 load rating (are there any that anybody knows of???) :(

Damn it! Thanks for the help mate, but then I spose the next question is can you get 205/50R16 with an 88 load rating (are there any that anybody knows of???) :(

Not in the 205/50/16 size I think... but deffinately in the 205/55/16.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=6441

This doesnt make sense?

If the sportivo has a tyre with load rating 87V

if you check the load rating chart for tyres. that means you can have 540KGs per tyre.

then why do th eother corollas (Which are lighter then the sportivo) have a load rating of 88v? meaning 560KG's per tyre?

load-index-table_large.png

With the v just a speed rating i dotn undertstand hwo the sportivo would have a lower rating then the standard rollas??

any ideas guys?

This doesnt make sense?

if you check the load rating chart for tyres. that means you can have 540KGs per tyre.

then why do th eother corollas (Which are lighter then the sportivo) have a load rating of 88v? meaning 560KG's per tyre?

With the v just a speed rating i dotn undertstand hwo the sportivo would have a lower rating then the standard rollas??

any ideas guys?

Thankyou SyxXPaC I'm glad someone else has piked up on this bcos thats exactly wat pi$$es me off. I reckon its just because toyota was too lazy to hav a standrd load rating bcos the cheapest tyres for each diff model that they could find to factory install all had different load ratings (e.g. pre june 2003 14" rim corollas, post jone 2003 15" rim corollas, n 16" rim sportivos) ie the cheapest they could find 4 a stivo (in the 16") was 87 n the cheapest they could find 4 normal corollas (post 2003) in 15" was 88.

I want to ask a tyre dealer if it is possible to seek an engineers approval to put 87 load rating tyres on my 03 corolla (as i want to swap my stock rims for stivo ones). Does any1 think this can b done??? :(

I just spoke to my good mates at top ten tyres as i have 87H tyres on my car frm them. They said they insurance company has to prove that there was more KG's then the rating on the tyre to deem it unroadworthy

Apartly the load rating is a guide as to what actually comes with the car. After looking through all the rta material i am yet to find anything taht says you have to ahear to it. Only that you have to adhear to the ratings on the tyres. I knwo for a fact that the 87H on my car is fine as i dont have more then the Listed KG's on my car.

This doesnt make sense?

any ideas guys?

I don't have a clue either. Maybe it's something to do with the different between Japanese and S.A built Corollas?

This doesnt make sense?

any ideas guys?

Thankyou SyxXPaC I'm glad someone else has piked up on this bcos thats exactly wat pi$$es me off. I reckon its just because toyota was too lazy to hav a standrd load rating bcos the cheapest tyres for each diff model that they could find to factory install all had different load ratings (e.g. pre june 2003 14" rim corollas, post jone 2003 15" rim corollas, n 16" rim sportivos) ie the cheapest they could find 4 a stivo (in the 16") was 87 n the cheapest they could find 4 normal corollas (post 2003) in 15" was 88.

I want to ask a tyre dealer if it is possible to seek an engineers approval to put 87 load rating tyres on my 03 corolla (as i want to swap my stock rims for stivo ones). Does any1 think this can b done??? :(

The Corolla Sportivo standard tyres (Bridgestone Turanzas) aren't exactly cheap, they're bloody expensive! Neither are the Michelin and Dunlops oem tyres on the other Corollas too. It's something that pees me off too man, but there's nothing we can do about it, legally anyway.

I just spoke to my good mates at top ten tyres as i have 87H tyres on my car frm them. They said they insurance company has to prove that there was more KG's then the rating on the tyre to deem it unroadworthy

Apartly the load rating is a guide as to what actually comes with the car. After looking through all the rta material i am yet to find anything taht says you have to ahear to it. Only that you have to adhear to the ratings on the tyres. I knwo for a fact that the 87H on my car is fine as i dont have more then the Listed KG's on my car.

Page 4, right column.

The load rating of tyres on vehicles subject to ADRs must be at least equivalent to the minimum ratings shown on the tyre placard.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%2026.pdf

Now I'm pretty sure there would be something very similar to that on RTAs website somewhere.

And this has big affect in reality as a mate of mine with a Holden Astra had his insurance claim voided/rejected purely on the fact that his tyres were under-rated. He had 87's instead of the standard 88 that he should've had.

• 4 weeks later...

And this has big affect in reality as a mate of mine with a Holden Astra had his insurance claim voided/rejected purely on the fact that his tyres were under-rated. He had 87's instead of the standard 88 that he should've had.

Did he have the same tire just 87 not 88? Or was it on a different rim?

I ask as the tyre placard on the Corolla Ascent has 84 or above, or 500kg per tyre or above on it.

I just went to Discount Tyre's to get a quote, he said it would be legal.

Also the load rating on my Steel 14" is 84, yet on the 15" Alloys its 88.

I got a quote for Dunlop 3000A (205/50/r16 87v) for $220 a corner fitted.

I ask as the tyre placard on the Corolla Ascent has 84 or above, or 500kg per tyre or above on it.

From pre-sometime in 2001 or 2002 corollas had the 14" rim with tyres rated at 84, but after then they were all 15" with 88 rated tyres (I've got the 15" 88 rated ones :( )

He replaced his tyres on his standard rims with 87 load rating ones.

So, I get to put on 87 tires as my tyre placard says 84 or above, but your tyre placard says 88 or above?

I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla Ascent MY03. Was built in Sept 2002.

Mate I can't remember the dates of when it changes, but all you have to rememba is to follow ur tyre placard (which in your case is 14" and 84H load rating) (so yes you can go 87). Also remember there are other rules which must be abided by e.g. tyre must be within 15mm either way of ur stock ROLLING diameter, you cannot go further than 2 inches smaller/larger in the height of ur rim (so in ur case the max size wheels you can get is 16 inch), or 1 inch wider (I don't know what stock width ur rim is, I would say it is 5 or 6 inch (mine is 6 inch). there is probably other rules but I can't rememba them. Just do a search on this forum as well as talking to the relevant people (e.g. tyre fitters) about other legalities.

I believe models built:

Before April 2003 have 185/65/14

After April 2003 have 195/60/15

For 185/65/14 size, a 205/40/17 would keep you closest to original speedo.

For 195/60/15 size, a 205/45/17 would keep you closest to original speedo.

• 3 months later...

I understand that load rating is important.

Does anyone pay much attention to the speed rating? The letter attached to the load rating?

"All tyres are rated with a speed letter. This indicates the maximum speed that the tyre can sustain for a ten minute endurance without coming to pieces and destroying itself, your car, the car next to you and anyone else within a suitable radius at the time. "

The rolla has a V speed rating which is a max speed of 240KPH.

My thinking is when am I going to drive 240KPH for 10 minutes straight in Australia?? :blink:

As long as we do not go to far away from V we sshould be alright right?. eg L = max 120 but H=Max 210 so H would be ok

Edited by GAZOOM

Does anyone pay much attention to the speed rating? The letter attached to the load rating?

for roadworthiness the number must be the same or greater and the letter the same or higher. 88v is a higher grade tyre than 88h. when you look at prices 88h will cost less than 88v.

It is legal to go below your speed symbol as long as it doesn't go to a speed rating less than 140kph (I can't remember what the letter for this is). But technically you must have a little sticker on the bottom right hand side of ur windshield clearly indicating your speed rating is below factory tyres. I read this in an RTA online pdf file which was posted in this forum once but I cannot find it at the moment. But if I do find it I will re-post it.

EDIT

I found that article:

RTA - Vehicle Standards Information - Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres

Here is the part you were enquiring about:

speedratingsi5.jpg

Edited by grima88

This doesnt make sense?

any ideas guys?

The reasoning would be the lesser Corolla's would be expected to carry more weight (Think Courier/Family duties) than the sport models. So they are fitted with higher weight bearing tyres from the factory and carry this on their tyre placard accordingly.

Also Toyota may not have had many 16" tyres to choose from at the time, so they lowered the rating for the Sportivo Specifically to 87v for the availability of the tyres at the time. It's not really a popular size.

Because it's on the tyre placard, you always have to stick to it legally.