Lighter fuse

Adrian

Hi,

I have blown the lighter fuse (no voltage on the outlet anymore after testing with a multimeter). I have checked the fuse box under the hood but can't seem to relate a fuse to the lighter, they all seem to be NOT blown. Any idea what it's called, or which on it is ??

THanks

Hi,

I have blown the lighter fuse (no voltage on the outlet anymore after testing with a multimeter). I have checked the fuse box under the hood but can't seem to relate a fuse to the lighter, they all seem to be NOT blown. Any idea what it's called, or which on it is ??

THanks

Look at the fuse box inside the car. It is located behind the glovebox and is accessed from the passenger side footwell. All can be accessed with no tools at all. Let the pictures do the talking (sorry bout the dust, and ignore my footwell lighting):

dsc03294lc8.jpg

dsc03295sv6.jpg

dsc03297tf4.jpg

dsc03303rs4.jpg

dsc03302at9.jpg

To remove that the panel in the second photo, you can see 4 clips at the front (bottom of photo). Use a little imagination there. If your finger is small enough, you press the clip in through the hole underneath. You should be able to figure it out when you get to it. The fuse/s you are interested in are labelled 'PWR OUTLET' and 'CIG'.

• 7 months later...

Just thought I'd shove my question in here instead of starting a new thread.

Do both cig lighters in the front of the car run off the same fuse?? Cause I blew the one next to the ash tray, but the other one was still working. Just recently I blew the other one too. So just wondering if maybe there is also a fuse behind the cig lighter itself. Any help??

Do both cig lighters in the front of the car run off the same fuse?? Cause I blew the one next to the ash tray, but the other one was still working. Just recently I blew the other one too. So just wondering if maybe there is also a fuse behind the cig lighter itself. Any help??

See those two fuses I've circled above?

I beleive the one labeled "CIG" is the front one, and the one labelled "PWR OUTLET" is the rear one.

Out of curiosity - how does one manage to blow one outlet, then the other? They do have maximum ratings written around the outlets for a reason!

Out of curiosity - how does one manage to blow one outlet, then the other? They do have maximum ratings written around the outlets for a reason!

Dodgy things being plugged into them tend to blow the fuse the easiest. I've blown a fuse before with a 500mA phone charger before.

As well the process of plugging something in has the ability to blow a fuse if you are unlucky. If you are plugging something in that draws high current (still within rated limits), if it is on when you plug it in and it has a high surge current (for more than a brief moment), they can also blow a fuse if your unlucky.

both times i blew the fuses, it was because i had to pull my varex control box out of the cig lighter in a rush... so i've just pulled it and bingo bango, fuse was blown...

thanks daryl, i'll have a look at both fuses... :)

you were right daryl (surprise surprise!! :P)... the rear one is the pwr outlet and the front one is the cig...

both fuses were replaced and now i can charge my iphone and also use my varex again! :lol:

cheers!!

• 1 year later...

Im having a little problem......

Was just cleaning my car, doing a general checkup etc when i noticed my dome light wasn't turning on ,then also saw that the courtesy, reading and boot light also didn't turn on, im thinking blown fuse..

however another strange thing happens, when i put the car into ACC mode and the Dash starts to illuminate, i noticed that the fuel needle rises to the full position (there is a full tank of petrol in the car atm) and then drops back to empty and rises back to the correct level, Any idea whats going on, if it is a fuse, could someone point me to the correct one?

Appreciate any help!

IF it was your fuse then your centre console and lights for the tacho wouldn't work. Also all lights in the car (middle, doors and boot) wouldn't work as well. I found this out when i blew my fuse by accident.

Could be a dead battery ?.? Check the voltage and see what it is.

Its definately not the battery, because the car still starts without any hesitation, and the battery is only a year old (generally saying, but it could fail), but yeah, the key ring light doesnt illuminate and all the lights you describes also dont illuminate, but the tacho one does.. could it be a short circuit?

Its definately not the battery, because the car still starts without any hesitation, and the battery is only a year old (generally saying, but it could fail), but yeah, the key ring light doesnt illuminate and all the lights you describes also dont illuminate, but the tacho one does.. could it be a short circuit?

I'm guessing it's the fuse. Check the manual for the location of the fuse (keep forgetting which one it is) and pull it out to see if it's blown. If it is blown then there's a spare 10amp fuse on the lid of the fuse box where you will also find the tweezers to pull out the fuses.

I'm guessing it's the fuse. Check the manual for the location of the fuse (keep forgetting which one it is) and pull it out to see if it's blown. If it is blown then there's a spare 10amp fuse on the lid of the fuse box where you will also find the tweezers to pull out the fuses.

Im hoping its the fuse, good to know there is a spare fuse, was about to head out and buy one tomorrow, should check things out first aye.

If it happens to be something else, can it be fixed under warranty?

If it isn't the fuse you should be able to get it checked for free because it's under warranty. As for fixing the problem that might not be free as the dealer will spill crap out of their mouths to do anything to make you pay for it. Best way to solve this is just as aggressive by threatening them by "contacting VCAT and ACCC and see what they have to say about this. If there is a problem in a car and it's still under warranty it should be fixed for free."

[solved] yes it was only the fuse so far, haven't driven the car yet, but the 10A fuse was blown. I did turn the car into ACC mode and everything seemed fine. Thank you very much for your help.