Genuine Reverse Camera wiring to Aftermarket HU

ajszr6

Hi Guys, First time poster, been reading a heap on here though so hopefully i haven't missed this.

d(-_-)b, mate your posts are legendary!

I have a 2008, Aurion ZR6 and I am curious as to how to hook up a genuine/stock toyota camera to an aftermarket head unit? I have found multiple guides on installing and connecting add on cameras but i just upgraded the HU from the 6 stacker genuine toyota/handsfree/mp3 screen

with 2 inch (or so) screen, to the autogps one. I already have the genuine camera installed.

Behind the HU I found a four pin iso plug that run from a main 24 pin iso that was hooked into the rear of the original HU.

I assume this is the camera line. It consists of 4 wires, (Yellow, White, Red and Black) Yellow being the 6v.

Kinda resembles this page http://aurioncamera.poirus.com.au/

After reading alot on here I tapped into the 12v reverse wire in the passenger side kick panel and ran a cable up to the reverse

lead of the head unit, even connecting a 12v to 6v voltage reducer (3 pronged transistor looking thing that i got from jaycar for

$1.60)in between the said power line to the power for the genuine camera (because it got 6v from the original deck – and I didn’t

want to blow it up!). I have earthed the camera with the the earth from the audio connectors (connector 1, pin 7) and also tried running

another earthing line to the earth point (white thick cable) near passenger kick panel. (not at the same time)

I have soldiered a male RCA plug up using the red(centre) and white (outer) (from above 4 pinned plug) to plug into the new HU harness.

I’ve made inroads and the unit is switching to ‘back’ upon selecting reverse, although the picture is not being displayed. I have

read VF-X's/d(-_-)b's post, regarding a white wire (i presume thats the negative (outer) of the camera line)?

It's surely gotta be something so stupid and simple I am doing wrong. Maybe i'm doing alot wrong! Either way i'm appreciative of

your help!

Cheers!

Because it seems you have done your research first (thank you), I will give out some of my (now limited) advice.

You mentioned here that:

I have soldiered a male RCA plug up using the red(centre) and white (outer) (from above 4 pinned plug) to plug into the new HU harness.

On the stock navigation unit wiring harness, the cable you are referring to would be this:

di-412911969183.jpg

You actually connect the centre conductor of the RCA to the red wire, and the shield of the RCA to the grey wire.

Ok so i went out and pulled out my HU again, another 2 minutes! And the plug i posted from that web site, kinda wasn't anything

like it. I feel like a tool and i'm sorry for leading you astray. Mine plug is smaller. I took photos of the plugs and these are

displayed below along with my attempt to decribe them.

From what i can gather...

Ok Photo 2 and 8 are the same cable from different angles. I think this is the camera power. I currently have this cable plugged

into the 6v power (yellow), earth black, and rca lead positive red and negative white.

The plug in photo's 2/8 was running off the plug im holding in photo and photo 5. I cut the top 4 wires - Yellow white red black.

No idea what photo 3 is, but it leads into the plug in photo and photo 5.

Photos 4 and 6 are of the original HU i took out.

And photo 7 is the 12v to 6v reducer component i bought incase someone else is wondering what i was on about.

I just previewed the post and it appears the pics aren't saved in order. Although they are named accordingly! maybe requiring saving.

Once again appreciative of any help. :)

post-20414-0-57365100-1291280428_thumb.j

post-20414-0-84167500-1291280440_thumb.j

post-20414-0-41407400-1291280455_thumb.j

post-20414-0-44033200-1291280466_thumb.j

post-20414-0-26591300-1291280478_thumb.j

post-20414-0-03105600-1291280488_thumb.j

post-20414-0-60252700-1291280509_thumb.j

post-20414-0-63917500-1291280516_thumb.j

Checking the Aurion repair manual, the yellow wire is just a shield.

Power source: black (6V)

Display signal: red

Signal ground: white

Shield: yellow

If the camera is not the same as a standard Aurion, this may be different.

I've tested cameras using the composite input on my tv and a battery ... this may help if it isn't on the vehicle yet.

Thanks for your replies, I tried it hooked up the way you suggested 450HP, still to no avail. Although could you clarify where the

shield should be connected? I thought the shield was the negative signal ground? I have the black to the 6v power, red to the centre

pin of rca, white to outer of rca, and yellow just dangling.

I plugged the old HU back in to ensure i haven't done any damage, as soon as i hit reverse (with all the old wires connected as previous) bang, picture appears, no probs.

As i disconnect the 4 pin plug (which i assume goes to the camera - photo 2 and 8) the image disappears and it goes back to the

audio screen. And yes camera is still in vehicle so i'm not sure how to test it on my tv :(

Edited by ajszr6

Thanks for your replies, I tried it hooked up the way you suggested 450HP, still to no avail. Although could you clarify where the

shield should be connected? I thought the shield was the negative signal ground? I have the black to the 6v power, red to the centre

pin of rca, white to outer of rca, and yellow just dangling.

I plugged the old HU back in to ensure i haven't done any damage, as soon as i hit reverse (with all the old wires connected as previous) bang, picture appears, no probs.

As i disconnect the 4 pin plug (which i assume goes to the camera - photo 2 and 8) the image disappears and it goes back to the

audio screen. And yes camera is still in vehicle so i'm not sure how to test it on my tv :(

Try grounding the yellow?

If no result try swapping the red and white, with and without the yellow grounded.

I did what you said also, still no picture. I am not having much luck! Thanks for your replies.

Might have to bite the bullet and pay someone to look at it for me! :( If i get it sorted i'll post how it was connected :)

Edited by ajszr6

Hmm.. De Javu.. :lol:

Care with whatever you doing..

Mine worked for a while before I permanently soldered the wires. Few days later, the alternator dropped. :lol:

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...
10 minutes ago, Glenn Astridge said:

DJKOR, is any of those wires the reverse wire?

DJKOR will not answer, he is no longer an active member. This post is also 6 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I'm new around here but i have done a aftermarket jvc headunit with factory reverse camera and yes the reverse wire is in that plug. just use a multi meter to confirm which wire. Without pulling mine back out i cant remember which colour. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

For the toyota aurion prodigy , these are the instructions ,

there are 5 wires in the 3rd (longer) wire harness with in total of 8 connected wires 

Blue with white stripe : is the wire from the reverse light (since the factory camera need 6v the use of a voltage regulator is needed) so connect this wire to input positive of the regulator 

red : this is the display signal for the middle of the rca 

black 1 : there are two black wires ( one for the shield of the rca , (rca outer ) 

black 2: this is for the camera 6v positive input from regulator

white : camera 6v negative input from regulator

(to get negative 12v power for the regulator , just earth the negative wire to the chassy of the car)

• 11 months later...

So having read a lot about this issue of having no backing camera and having the same issue on my new stereo, it seems the camera is 6v and the car is 12v and some clever person has designed a plug and play connector which switches the voltage. It costs $14 NZ including shipping so I hope it works when it arrives. I also hope it has a positive effect on my non working GPS unit. 

Aurion wiring.jpg

Edited by Hush

• 2 weeks later...