Intermediate Steering Shaft

2011 KX-S Cosmos Blue

Hi,

went for the 18 months (travelled 24,000kms) service yesterday and after reporting a noise in the steering column was told that I need to have the 'intermediate steering shaft' replaced. It will be under warranty so no problems other than a different journey to work.

Has anyone else had similar. Current MY11 KX-S AWD.

ps - pitty they aren't as happy to replace the head unit as Bluetoth continues to be bad with a new branded phone (Samsung Galaxy S) and as previously posted has let out an enormous bang on at least 5 occasions (similar to a gun shot) and then turned itself off. They would like to hear the noise. Well sorry you can't have my car for a month to drive.

Hi mate, I had the same problem with my 2007 model, there was a clunking noise when turning , mainly left, Im actually surprised its a problem on the later klugers.

The problem is that they didnt put enough grease in the intermediate shaft when manufactured, its a pretty straight forward job that they had my car for a day, when they fixed my car it actually made the steering more direct and firmer.

Im in the same boat I cant get my blue tooth to work either, it works on the missus Iphone but not my little nokia.

I have the same problem with both. ( 2010 Alttiude )

The steering issue I have reported twice and have been told that because it doesnt happen all of the time it is not the intermediate steering shaft. But true to form it will not do it on service day. I am just going to keep reporting it until it finally gets fixed (under warranty ).

Bluetooth operation is a lottery. I originally had a nokia and these generally do not work with the bluetooth. Not very good considering the number of these phones around at the time. I now have an Iphone and still have some conection issues but more importantly clarity or sound quality issues. The unit is the same as the MY11 KXS.

I recently was driving a 2011 corolla for a couple of weeks and the bluetooth in it was so much better and clearer. This situation is very disappointing for a $50k + car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Recently joined the owners forum have a October 2009 kluger 50000k travelled owned since January.

Had my 50000k service done last week dropped in let them know about the noise when turning left. Picked up the car in the evening was informed that it does need a new steering shaft, they have ordered from japan.Will be covered under warranty.

A big thanks for posting the info on the forum much appreciated .

On another note have read the problems with the bluetooth .

The dealer sells the bluetooth uints from cars that are upgraded have noticed some posts regarding problems with the toyota units are they any good.

Regards Silkluger

The dealer sells the bluetooth uints from cars that are upgraded have noticed some posts regarding problems with the toyota units are they any good.

Regards Silkluger

Hi Silk... I assume these are the satnav type units and not the basic radio from the KX-R? If so then how much are they asking for them?

Cheers.

Personal opinion re Toyota BT is that its crap compared to other manufacturers. If I was a tradesman then I wouldn't be wanting to use my Toyota BT between jobs.

I have 5 phones now registered with my Kluger KX-R radio and they all work perfectly.

What am I doing wrong... I am sure it is a Toyota??

My 2007 model Kluger had the intermediate steering shaft replaced just before the warranty expired back at the end of 2010.

All good until the last couple of weeks when it has started making the dreaded clunking noise on left hand turns yet again. Might explain why the problem is still occuring even in later model Klugers, as it seems even the replacement unit won't fix the issue for good. Does anyone know what happens if you just put up with the clunking issue? Will it eventually fail completely, or is it more just an annoyance? Have been very happy with the kluger over the last 5 years other than this issue and the very annoying cold weather winter dash rattles. (though I am in Canberra so those in warmer climates would never have to worry about the dash rattles, as it isn't an issue in summer here;)

Edited by wilsact

Hi wilsact, thats news I didnt want to read, Im shocked that the replacment intermediate shaft didnt last even 2years, the problem with the shaft was that there wasnt enough grease in them, but saying that the later model kluger are having the same issue, that makes me think that having enough grease in them wasnt the problem, you would think by now that toyota would of got there act together and fixed the problem, so I wonder if there will be a recall of them in the fututre,when I had my intermediate shaft replaced, I asked the service advisor would the problem with the intermediate shaft ever cause me to lose steering, he said no , but Im not convinced, especialy anything as serious as steering.

Wilsact how many kms has your kluger done since you had the intermediate shaft replaced mate, Im curious.

Hopefully mine wont give me anymore problems, fingers cossed.

My kluger has that anoying dash rattle, mine the same it only does it when its cold, its seems it coming from wear the dash panel meets the demister panel, I pushed on the dash panel and it made the noise, I dont think there proper fix for this problem, so I dont think I will bother trying to get it fixed, its bloody anoying though, its only thing that ruins the whole driving exsperience for me.

Hi David,

Just dug out the papers to confirm. Was replaced under warranty Sep 2010 so coming up a couple of years now. Kluger had 66,633km on it at the time. Says they replaced defective Intermediate steering shaft with part T/4522048180. Kluger has now just hit 97,800km. Will mention it at the 100,000 service but not expecting much luck as car well out of warranty now. Was hard enough to get it replaced whilst under warranty!!!

Dash rattles on mine drives me nuts in winter, really bad in the bitter cold down here. Just wasn't keen on the warranty fix of pulling the entire dash apart to replace the defective clips!! Not an issue once weather warms up though, and people in the warmer areas wouldn't have any dramas with it. Only seems an issue once the temps head South of 10 degrees or so, really bad when its a minus temps night. :) Overall happy with the kluger, just a pity these couple of things have been an issue.

Thanks for the reply mate, I had mine replaced at 83000kms in febuary, I think, I will have to go back through my paperwork, when I had mine replaced under warranty, toyota was willing to pay for half , thats was if the car didnt have warranty and I think it might of been just for the parts, only way is to have a yarn with your toyota dealer and see what they can do for you, you might have to only pay half, but by rights they should fix it free of charge as its not even 2years and you havnt travelled many kms after the repairs, and they might, you never know your luck.

The dash rattle in mine been bad the last couple mornings, the mornings here in dubbo have been in the 0s and one morning it got to -2c , that wouldnt help either, but probadly not as cold as it gets in canberra, I havnt been to canberra for years, I like canberra its a great place to visit,

I have been debating to get the dash rattle looked at , but not keen on them pulling the dash out either to fix the problem ,if I knew in my heart that they were going to fix the problem, I wouldnt have a problem with it, anyway I might start a new topic on the forum and see what people think.

I had this done middle of last year. It seems to be an issue with the USDM Camrys (v6 models that share the electric steering system). As previously mentioned, it occurs mainly when turning hard left. The audible clicking has ceased for over 12 months now, but I am sure I can still feel a little 'knock' when rounding th esame tight radius left hander on the way to work.

I cant help but htink its a lubrication problem that leads to the shaft wearing prematurely. After cleaning and re-greasing the feeling has mostly subdued. However its a PITA so I might just get it replaced again a week before the warranty expires, just to please the next owner :)

Welcome to the forum, sorry mate I dont know your first name, yeah I was told that the shaft didnt have enough grease in it when manufactured, but some of the later model kluger is also having the same problem, so its got me beat, one of the forum member already had the intermediate shaft replaced, and after two years the problem has returned, your right about the aurion having the same problem, I read in the aurion section that one of the members is exsperiencing a clunking in the steering, I not a mechanic, im interested in how you can clean and regrease the shaft.

I had the shaft replaced in my kluger 6 months ago and its been great , no signs of a clunk or a nock, fingers crossed.

I would get it replaced under warranty too, rather than trying to grease it.

Welcome to the forum, sorry mate I dont know your first name, yeah I was told that the shaft didnt have enough grease in it when manufactured, but some of the later model kluger is also having the same problem, so its got me beat, one of the forum member already had the intermediate shaft replaced, and after two years the problem has returned, your right about the aurion having the same problem, I read in the aurion section that one of the members is exsperiencing a clunking in the steering, I not a mechanic, im interested in how you can clean and regrease the shaft.

I had the shaft replaced in my kluger 6 months ago and its been great , no signs of a clunk or a nock, fingers crossed.

I would

I had this done middle of last year. It seems to be an issue with the USDM Camrys (v6 models that share the electric steering system). As previously mentioned, it occurs mainly when turning hard left. The audible clicking has ceased for over 12 months now, but I am sure I can still feel a little 'knock' when rounding th esame tight radius left hander on the way to work.

I cant help but htink its a lubrication problem that leads to the shaft wearing prematurely. After cleaning and re-greasing the feeling has mostly subdued. However its a PITA so I might just get it replaced again a week before the warranty expires, just to please the next owner :)

get it replaced under warranty too, rather than trying to grease it.

Sorry David, at the start of my post I mentioned that 'I had this done middle of last year'

It should have read: 'I had teh dealer replace the shaft under warranty middle of last year'

So in effect, even having had it replaced, the knock seems to be coming back lightly.

Thats alright mate, its not looking good with the replacement intermediate shafts, my heart sunk when I read wilsact post that after he had the shaft replaced and later the problem come backand now your having the problem returning aswell, I thinking that toyota may do recall on that particular shaft, and replace it with something stronger because the one thats in the kluger and the replacment arent durable enough, unless its a seal problem on the shaft, and dust and moisture getting in the shaft and drying it out, but I think personally there not stronger enough for the kluger, iam probadly talking crap as per normal, you guys can tell me ,I will understand :) anyway let me no how everyone gets on.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, googled today 'knocking noise on steering column Kluger' and found your posts. I have had my Kluger since 2007 (sorry not sure of the model, that's a question for the husband). Have always had an issue with a clunking sound when turning left & I mention it at every service but they say they can never find the problem or hear it themselves when they take it for a test drive. On reading your posts, initially was excited to find out the Intermediate Steering Shaft could be the problem, but ringing Toyota they told me they have already replaced this on my car after a recall back in 2009 at around 28,000 so they say it can't be that. It did get better after one service (it may have been when they replaced it) but it's gradually appeared again. The Service Manager said he would be happy to come out on a test drive with me but I can guarentee it won't happen if I did. Not sure where to go from here.

Hi liz, welcome to forum :) .

Liz its sounds like the intermediate shaft again, have a read back a few posts on this topic, one of the forum members, wilsact had the intermediate shaft replaced once and not even 2years later and 30000kms later he is having the same symptoms as before the shaft was replaced, replacing the shaft by the sounds of it doesnt seem to be a permanent fix after the shaft is replaced.

What I would do liz is go to your toyota dealer and get them to test drive it and see what they say, if the car hasnt travelled many kms since the shaft you might be able to claim some sort of warranty on the replacment shaft, you might even have to pay half, but its worth asking, when I got the intermediate shaft replaced on my 2007 kluger, toyota were willing to pay for the parts and that was only in febuary, anyway liz its worth a try , lets us know how you get on and good luck with toyota.

• Folks reading this issues with interest, I have just purchased a 07 Kluger that makes a bit of a clunk (not audible but more feeling thru the hands) when turning (i think mostly left), so sounds like what everyones having probs with...but what was the consesnus on "just living with it" because assuming its a wide spread prob you dont hear of multiple cases of Klugers spearing off the road suddenly? so i assume that its more of a annoyance than anything?

Has anyone heard different from a dealer or mechanic?

cheers

Yeah mate, I think its more annoying than anything failing, I asked a toyota mechanic about the shaft failing and a lost of steering and he said that theres nothing to worry about, but I would listen to see if it gets worst and then I would get somthing done about it, I wouldnt personally let it get to bad, because steering is a matter of life and death.