Replace 2011 Aurion Touring steering wheel with one from ZR6 Sportivo

acid8000

This is probably something I won't be doing for a while but just pondering at this stage. How easy is it to replace the 4 spoke steering wheel from the 2011 Aurion Touring SE with one from a ZR6 Sportivo? I'm mainly interested in having the 3 spoke wheel and the addition of the telephone off hook/on hook buttons.

Here's my current interior:

11767019725_e54d10f628_b_d.jpg

I've already redone the wiring on the back of the radio unit to allow the steering wheel controls, reverse cam, and aux audio to all work (GSV50R style plugs) with my current wheel. Is there additional wiring to support the increased number of buttons on the wheel in the below post? That particular wheel happens to be the one I'm looking for. Also not so sure about wanting to install this myself given the importance of the wheel and air bag, etc.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/30880-aurion-zr6-leather-steering-wheel-and-airbag-combo/?p=427441

I have 2011 Toyota Aurion Touring (one of the last ones before the new ones came out) and I noticed my radio set up is different to yours. I can see it says Toyota on it so did you upgrade from standard to the one with nav system?

Hi mate, the car originally had the stock 86120-YY130-D unit with Bluetooth, radio, reversing cam, etc. I bought the GPS unit PZQ60-00535 from a member on here sportivo2007 then did the install. Because the unit is a couple of years newer than the car, the wiring is somewhat different from the previous unit so I used a few harnesses and parts from Toyota:

PZQ60-00161 - adaptor for radio

PZQ60-00190 - modified aux port harness for 4 pin aux audio port near aux power port (modified this so that the other wiring from the rest of the car connects directly into the back of the unit)

PZQ60-00141 - modified for the 16 pin plug I used to hook up the reversing camera to the new radio. Also used the 28 pin plug and modified. The rest of the harness isn't used, just those plugs.

8619053010 - 3.5 mm aux audio input port with 4 pin socket used next to aux 12 V port.

Some pics of the modification/install:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101266930282219962116/albums/5957396221507915073

Early pics with PZQ60-00141 harness, steering controls worked, no camera, no speed sensor cable, no reverse gear detection.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101266930282219962116/albums/5960025354067547905

Later pics with modified PZQ60-00141 harness with camera, speed sensor, reverse gear detection all working.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101266930282219962116/albums/5961255947418734385

Most recent pics with modified PZQ60-00190 with support for all the previous and adding connection to added 4 pin 3.5mm aux audio input near aux power port.

I found the pinouts for the different units on the following pages and modified accordingly:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php/topic/24580-reverse-camera-on-my-new-head-unit/page-2?&

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/41311-toyota-navigation-pin-out-model-pzq60-00531-pzq60-00532-pzq60-00533/

Thanks to sportivo2007 for all his help/research on getting this running.

Edited by acid8000
  • Like 1

This is probably something I won't be doing for a while but just pondering at this stage. How easy is it to replace the 4 spoke steering wheel from the 2011 Aurion Touring SE with one from a ZR6 Sportivo? I'm mainly interested in having the 3 spoke wheel and the addition of the telephone off hook/on hook buttons.

Here's my current interior:

11767019725_e54d10f628_b_d.jpg

I've already redone the wiring on the back of the radio unit to allow the steering wheel controls, reverse cam, and aux audio to all work (GSV50R style plugs) with my current wheel. Is there additional wiring to support the increased number of buttons on the wheel in the below post? That particular wheel happens to be the one I'm looking for. Also not so sure about wanting to install this myself given the importance of the wheel and air bag, etc.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/30880-aurion-zr6-leather-steering-wheel-and-airbag-combo/?p=427441

Rebz has just done that very mod, I'm sure if you asked him nicely he will help you out

:)

• 10 months later...

Further to my previous post above, I'm getting a set of Camry SE steering wheel controls shipped from the US with the telephone controls from Ebay as it seems to be way too difficult to find the three spoke steering with all of the buttons (i.e. telephone, voice command, and disp button). Pic below:

$_57.JPG

I'll modify this in combination with my current steering wheel controls as I think the Aurion Touring does not have the wiring to work with the A/C controls. While investigating how to do this, I decided to open up the currently installed steering wheel controls and see what components would be in common with those above. Turns out the interior parts are much the same. In fact, it is possible to modify the existing steering wheel controls to let the voice command button work with a Fujitsu head unit like the one currently installed by filing down parts of the dummy button so that it can function. Tools needed:

• 4 mm Allen key or equivalent torx screwdriver
  • small and larger Phillips head screwdriver
  • flat head screwdriver to prise off the dummy button
  • 10 mm spanner to disconnect the battery (otherwise the airbag may deploy)

Original steering wheel control on the right dismantled showing all buttons in the stock Aurion Touring steering wheel are present:

15785743646_267a34bafd_c.jpg

Blank voice command button as it is stock:

15624051538_52c0286ef1_c.jpg

The button filed down so that it can function with the Fujitsu head unit:

15189443994_1b292fb078_c.jpg

After doing this mod the button now functions with the Fujitsu head unit. It's not a feature I ever really use, but interesting to see that the can be modified to work. It may be possible to do this mod without entirely dismantling the steering wheel control by using a Phillips head screwdriver to prise the button off while it's installed, but I haven't tried this method myself so can't comment on how easy or difficult that will be to do.

When the part at the start of this post arrives from the US, I will post pics of the completed setup showing the four spoke steering wheel with the volume, up/down, mode, telephone on/off hook, disp and voice command keys installed. I will use the existing right side control so that there won't be the A/C buttons that (I think) don't work without added wiring in the Aurion Touring.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Cool I see it. Where are you based? If you like, once I've got the components from the controls I'm importing from the US, I can send you the rest so that you'll have the parts needed for the Disp key. We can discuss shipping, plus cost of parts in the PM.

Update: Mod for install of bluetooth and voice command buttons completed. Steps shown below.

Here's the original setup showing including the modded dummy button below the Disp button for voice command (no obvious differences).

15680039100_d01c3559ee_b.jpg

Here's the parts from the US Camry SE with the tools used for the mod.

15865390231_65c9dab92b_b.jpg

Removing the air bag assembly requires undoing these torx screws to the left and right of the steering wheel. They aren't completely removed from the steering wheel, just enough to lift away the air bag. It is much safer to also disconnect the negative battery terminal to avoid the air bag accidentally deploying while it's removed.

15681370509_d44df45238_b.jpg15681368419_9158136705_b.jpg

Now the guts of the steering wheel can be seen. To remove the steering wheel controls, undo the Phillips head screws holding them down then lift away the control module.

15681606377_3d6cb83275_b.jpg

I only wanted the bluetooth and voice control buttons added, not the A/C controls. The control modules can be disassembled with the small Phillips head screwdriver.

15865377511_ec1983565d_b.jpg

A comparison of the right side circuit board from the US Camry (dark green) and the Aussie Aurion (light green). I tried using the Camry one at first with the Aurion top cover to have the Disp and speech control buttons only but found that with this combination the Disp key did not function. Not sure if it is related to the very slightly different circuit (extra resistors I think) and added wire for the A/C controls. I ended up using the Aurion circuit board and simply took the properly labelled speech control button from the US Camry.

15867372285_d10e174ae4_b.jpg

A comparison of the Aurion (light green) and US Camry (dark green) left control module circuit. As the Camry one has the extra buttons I needed, I used that and found that all buttons worked correctly with my Aurion.

15680023790_d84045c4bd_b.jpg

Almost done. Reassembly is simply reversing the steps above.

15247708243_0c3ce1793a_b.jpg

Done.

15679840148_736f37b62e_k.jpg

cranky, as I now only have the Camry circuit spare on the right side, I'm not sure if the Disp key from that will work as I didn't have any luck with it in my car, though I did not try installing it using the wiring included with that part. I just kept the existing wiring in my Aurion. You're welcome to have a go installing. PM me if you're still interested in the part.

Here are some photos of the spare parts left after this install:

Original Aurion steering wheel controls, left side.

15841886606_d8a5b3fb1f_b.jpg

Steering wheel controls right side, from Camry SE. Speech control button is now unmarked, but should function normally with mod in previous post in this thread. Some cosmetic damage as can be seen in photo.

15248045873_b5d2962285_b.jpg

Wiring from Camry SE steering wheel controls. Note the extra wiring for the A/C control buttons. Not sure if the wire for the A/C controls would only hook up to e.g. the Aurion Presara or with this it would work with other models like the ATX, Touring, Sportivo, etc.

15681689419_2bf55f8795_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

Quite easily done with this part:

15248045873_b5d2962285_b.jpg

Just needs the correct harness between that part and the steering wheel (additional wire). I decided against using the above part due to it being faulty and the rather prominent cosmetic damage. I don't often change the air con temp anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey newbie,

No I have not yet done it. I don't believe it will be that difficult to do, just costs money that I don't have at the moment due to being off work.

But as soon as I've got the money I will be going to my wreckers and fitting it.

I like the "wood grain" look so I was thinking of just getting the whole steering wheel and extra wiring harnes.

On a side note, I have the interior light panel/piece out of the Presara and I want to hook the "sunroof" controls to the passenger seat so I can move it without getting out of the car or leaning over, so I need the extra wiring harness for that too, haha, while I'm at it I will put in the rear seat roof light too.

Haha

It's gonna cost me an arm and a leg, oh well, I will be pretty happy when it's done though