Upgrade rim or tyre, or both?

bathuu

Hi all,

Thinking to upgrade rim or tyre as a part of improvement to handling of my car. So as usual seeking experienced users opinions here before spending my budget.

Currently running stock 16 sportivo rim with 215-55-16 chiniese tyres.

1) How much improvement do I expect if I upgrade to 18 inch rim?

If I upgrade to bigger rim looking to get either a genuine Mazda RX8 18 inch stock rim or Nissan 350Z 18 inch stock rim because of genuine quality compared to after market taiwanese replica wheels that might bend or crack if run over a pothole. If any one have experience with fitting these rims on Camry?

Second hand RX8 wheels can be easily and cheaply found compared to 530Z wheels. RX8 wheels look neat and sharp, but I like the flush look of 30+ offset 350Z wheels.

car-photo-1994-lexus-ls400-2006-mazda-rx

2009-08-21131434.jpg

2) Or should I just get a quality tyres on my 16 as upgrading 18 won't be much difference in handling and save my money?

Cheers

Edited by bathuu

What i've gathered from upgrading wheels and expecting a difference in performance is that you probably won't notice it.

Unless you're going from a really heavy set of standard wheels to ultra light wheels cuz if all you're changing is the wheel diameter, then i think you're looking at zero perfomance upgrade.

OR

More likely if you go to a wider wheel you'll have more of noticeable difference in the car feeling planted and gripping around bends.

If you do upgrade, i wouldn't vote for you to go for Nissan or Mazda wheels on your sportivo - i just find that disturbing.

Also, if it were me and i paid for new low springs, id wanna complete the look with some new wheels regardless of whether or not it improved my performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful with wider wheels it will cause your car to sway over uneven surfaces. To have wider wheels you change every things, which includes new spring and shock, adjustable cam, new sway bar, new link rods and have it all fitted and adjust properly. Too much work for just looks. Better off buying a new car that already made to fit bigger rims. That is my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Be careful with wider wheels it will cause your car to sway over uneven surfaces. To have wider wheels you change every things, which includes new spring and shock, adjustable cam, new sway bar, new link rods and have it all fitted and adjust properly. Too much work for just looks. Better off buying a new car that already made to fit bigger rims. That is my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Leave it.
  • Like 1

This isn't anything ive heard of, as far as doing so many adjustments just for bigger wheels. I went up by 1" in diameter and width, with no affects. At what point would a car like a camry have issues from going bigger in width and diameter wheels?

You are right, 1'' is not going to make much of a difference. However, if you start talking big increase like stock 205 to 245 then there might be problem with handling. On smooth surfaces you won't notice much but on uneven surfaces you will be grabbing your wheel to hang on for your dear life.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally done what I wanted, scored 2nd hand pretty clean 350 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's with plenty of thread for a reasonable price. Improvement in handling is very noticeable, sticks to the road pretty good. Rear is super wide 245 and front is 235. Love the flush look the rim is giving.

29ekdo4.png

Edited by bathuu

I know, especially the front. But the problem is king low spring in the front did not do much drop compared to stock spring previously had. Currently the rear is stock sportivo spring and front is king low. Now I am scratching my head that maybe I should have gone with BC coilovers instead of KYB plus King combo. I guess maybe next time will do coilover. Anyway, because of the 30+ offset of the front wheels fender will not clear wheels even it is rolled. So it cant take much drop maybe 2-3cm, but I currently I don't know what to do close the gap. Maybe get king super low just for the front?

Thanks for the replies guys, i know the look is subjective, but i am glad that you guys also find it as a good fit on my camry.

Front: 18x8 30+ 235/45/18

Rear: 18x8.5 33+ 245/45/18

2zptk5l.jpg

Edited by bathuu

yeah, deffs wont rub on the front, my old gold wheels were 17x8 +30, never had an issue with front rubbing,

the rears may rub though, are your rear guards rolled ?

Rears are not rolled, cos currently on sportivo springs. If i put king low back in the rear I guess i am gonna have to roll them to avoid rubbing.

Edited by bathuu

I guess I am gonna slam King Super Lows in the front and see how it goes. Anyone is here selling their used front King SL springs, so that I can try it at a minimal cost :clap: ?