How do I disassemble instrument panel GSU40/45R? Ruined by ArmorAll

Coover

When my Kluger was detailed prior to our purchase, the car detailer (or someone) sprayed what I think is ArmorAll (or similar) on the clear plastic of the instrument panel. Now the silicone has dried and the clear plastic looks terrible.

I've tried to remove the mess with orange cleaner and also vinegar (the two best ingredients I found to use when I did a google search). Neither worked, and now contemplating having to replace the plastic.

Anybody had success removing armorAll from plastic, or can anybody advise me how disassemble the instrument panel to remove the plastic so that I can replace it myself ?

Cheers

Don

Hi don,I think they may have sprayed somthing else on the clear plastic, like a petroluem product,like accetone or turps or a cleaning product that contains benzine, which will destroy plastic, because I use a meguires interior cleaner protector or auto glym, which does a great job of protecting the plastics in the interior, when cleaning the instrument cluster I put a small ammount on a rag, so the spray doesnt run down inside the cluster and never had a issue with clear plastic drying out, Im not sure if any of the interior products still contain silicone or not,what I try a bit of interior protector cleaner on a rag and see if it brings the plastic back to life, if that doesnt works and this is only a guess, try a product like a plastic restorer, that cleans clear plastic,like head lights, that can be purchased at any auto supplier, they probadly beable to advise which products to use, I would try this first, before trying to replace the clear instument cover.

Im not sure if it will help mate, but I would give it a go first, let us know how you get on.

Many thanks for your advice, Croco. I will do just that. I was sure that there must be some commercial product that would do the job. My google search basically revealled a can of worms of pro and anti ArmorAll users. Will chat to the folks at my local auto shop and see what works. I've heard nothing but good write-ups on Meguires and Mothers products.

I tried auto glym to restore the dashboard on my old camry and the result was great , give it a try before you change it .

Reading this post reminded me when a jerrycan of petrol leaked on to my rubber mat in my old prado, petrol was everywhere and the matt looked terrible, it all bubbled up and looked horrible, I was wondering what I could do fix the rubber mat, I sprayed auto glym interior cleaner and protector all over it and waited to the next day and I was blown away, the matt looked like it did before the petrol leak, im not sure if the auto glym is called interior cleaner and protector, but its the auto glym version of armor, I like auto glym products aswell as meguires, they may be cost a little more, but are worth it.

Thanks guys for the advice. I bought a Turte Wax headlight restorer (the only product the Supacheap store had that seemed appropriate for the task).

The biggest problem I've found is trying to get to the clear plastic. Strangely enough, with the steering wheel in front, it's not as easy as one would think to get in there are and rub for 5 minutes.

Should the Turtle wax not work, I will try shop around and find a shop that sells the Meguires and Auto Glym

Edited by Coover

We replaced the plastic on our instrument cluster on the Aurion and it was only 17 bucks for it. Cheap and easy fix with no mucking around. I presume you are talking about the clear plastic over the instruments

Sir Ned, yes indeed the plastics in question are the clear ones that cover the instrument cluster-and I'm sure they have a proper name! Did you do the replacing yourself (I imagine you would've, otherwise you'd have said something like $17 for the plastic, and $150 for the labour!)?

Can you give me a quick rundown of how you did it? I suspect the procedure between an Aurion and a Kluger would in principal be similar, but with different landmarks for the retaining clips etc.