HID Xenon lights for Kluger 2011 model

Gorry

Hi guys,

I’ve purchased new facelifted 2011 model Toyota Kluger. This model has an updated headlights and halogen bulbs. I would like to install HID Xenon lights (low beam) and I found that there is so many of them on e-Bay, with the price range from $39 - $129 for the HID Xenon Conversion Kit.

Has anyone done this? How complex is the installation? Is it just plug and play or you have to do some wiring as well.

Any comments?

Cheers

http://www.hidxenonlights.com/toyota-toyota-highlander-lights-c-643_97_355

Hi guys,

Ive purchased new facelifted 2011 model Toyota Kluger. This model has an updated headlights and halogen bulbs. I would like to install HID Xenon lights (low beam) and I found that there is so many of them on e-Bay, with the price range from $39 - $129 for the HID Xenon Conversion Kit.

Has anyone done this? How complex is the installation? Is it just plug and play or you have to do some wiring as well.

Any comments?

Cheers

http://www.hidxenonlights.com/toyota-toyota-highlander-lights-c-643_97_355

What low beam bulbs does the facelifted Kluger use?

Any of the HID kits are just plug and play, but you need to find a place to secure the Ballast unit. Kits normally have strong double sided tape for you to mount the ballast. Looking at the amount of space in the outgoing model Kluger engine bay, I don't think you would need to remove the headlight unit for fitting.

Does the new Kluger have projector headlights?

I also recommend you only get up to 4500k or 6000k. Don't get the 8000k as they will be slightly purple.

Edited by _kit_

Hi,

The new Kluger have projector headlights and the low beam bulb is H11.

I have seen some new H11 bulb ( PIAA) and now I am wondering should I buy these or go to HID Xenon Conversion Kit ?

PIAA H11 SERIES XTREME WHITE PLUS HEADLIGHT BULBS, TWIN PACK -- DOT and SAE approved; Provides up to 110 watts of brightness from 55 watts; Offers brilliant Xtreme cool white light that illuminates road hazards and street signs longer than normal halogen bulb; 4000 Kelvin rating; Comes with a blue top coat that adds a slight blue tint to the lamp for enhanced curb appeal. They are expensive thought - $77 pair.

http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalog/?N=0&uts=true&Ntt=2008+Toyota+Highlander+PIAA+Headlight+Bulb

http://www.tunersdepot.com/Lighting/Headlight-Bulbs/PIAA-Xtreme-White-Plus-Fog-Light-Bulbs---08-08-Toyota-Highlander--H11--60207_print.html

Edited by Gorry

The PIAA bulbs don't seem to last that long (a year maybe). And they won't actually be significantly brighter than standard. Are you after light output or whiteness? 4000k would be pretty yellow and similar colour to standard.

for more light output I would increase the wattage of the bulb slightly (I used to run 80w/80w H4 bulbs in my old car, no problems with the standard wiring. Standard was 55w/60w). I wouldnt increase the wattage much more though as it will relays.

A H11 HID kit should be a simple plug and play install. Only thing to think about is, legally, you require headlight washers if you have HIDs, and as far as I know, aftermarket HID kits are not legal at all. But having said that, I know plenty of people who run aftermarket HID and I don't know of anyone being defected for it.

I would probably go for HID Xenon Conversion Kit with digital ballasts and I am considering 35 W, 5000 K.

I am wearing glasses and I find the extra whiteness very helpful during the night. I do not want to break the law or to blind other drivers therefore 35 W would be better (and safer) option than 55 W HID Xenon.

Thank you for the advice.

post-21724-0-74782800-1289208731_thumb.j

post-21724-0-10744400-1289208755_thumb.j

post-21724-0-87704100-1289208769_thumb.j

post-21724-0-13323800-1289208787_thumb.j

post-21724-0-91741800-1289208800_thumb.j

Edited by Gorry

Hi :)

You should look at the RTA regulations on aftermarket HID conversions, especially if you are in NSW.

Technically if you were pulled up and inspected by Police or RTA you need to have done the following:

Made sure the projector lenses in the headlights meet the regulations on angle and beam spread for HID in Australia. They are required to be the correct ones.

Make sure that self levelling adjustment has been added (so basically tilts the lights down when the car is out of balance and the rear is lower that the front causing the lights to blind other drivers)

Finally add headlight lens washers on the front bumper to wash off obstructions. (as the lenses are mush smaller in area to regular halogen lenses so can be blocked by small objects that land on head lights)

Finally for your insurance and rego you need to get it updated to state your vehicle has been modified and what the modification is (In NSW) or your insurance may be void.

So it gets pretty expensive if you want to do it legally. Lots of people don't do that.. The fines are not cheap.. having been pulled over for various harmless lighting changes on car before. (like interior led lighting on the floor and dash, and additional small white fog lights behind the grill etc) I am wary these days.

I have put Philips crystal vision and similar globes with a much whiter 4000K-5000K xenon colour temperature look to them, and they make the road much clearer at night.

The headlight kits from the USA version of the Kluger are avail in HID and are a straight swap out of the entire headlight indicator parking light unit. However the lenses and reflectors are angled for right hand drive so no good for over here.

I researched the legal HID conversions for about 6 months and gave up after not being able to get the cost down. Several thousand dollars once done properly and my insurance on the car would go up too.

Not sure why Toyota won't offer it as a factory option like in the USA?

• 10 months later...

so, did you change the geadlight to xenon? i just bought a toyota kluger 2011 and want to change the headlight too xenon so i got the whiteness a bit blue-ish light. if you did, how is it?

I would probably go for HID Xenon Conversion Kit with digital ballasts and I am considering 35 W, 5000 K.

I am wearing glasses and I find the extra whiteness very helpful during the night. I do not want to break the law or to blind other drivers therefore 35 W would be better (and safer) option than 55 W HID Xenon.

Thank you for the advice.