Auto to Manual...

Cejay_91

Anything is possible if you have the cash or alternatively a bit of mechanical know-how. To pay a mechanic would most likely make the job far too expensive.

When I was 16 I swapped out the stuffed auto in my dad's 1963 XM falcon for a tree shift 3 speed. That took me the best part of two days - wot with changing the pedal box steering column and all. I have helped out with a swap-out from manual to auto of a 93 Mazda 323. I still don’t understand why girls prefer auto over manual but I'm glad that with this one we had a crew of 4 sometimes 5 helping.

Not all conversions are a 4 person job but I would recommend you find a rusty or smashed(rear end if possible) whole car and do the transplant with the cars side by side. Bring a few mates leave the alcohol till after the job is completed and have a great time with a bit of male bonding skinned knuckles and grease under your finger nails.

Most cars are manufactured with all the mountings and fittings to cater for both manual and automatic transmissions so I believe that it should be possible. It would not hurt parking your car next to another manual Celica and checking what is involved before you commit to the job though. You may get to see some things which may cause the job to be either difficult or maybe even impossible.

It all comes down to having a little confidence in your abilities and doing a bit of research.

If you go ahead with the job I am sure there will be some difficulties but heaps of fun too.

Keep us informed of any developments

Regards

Mark