My questions thread

ST185

I have a ST185 frontcut already stripped, for a 3sgte engine conversion in my EP82 starlet GT. I'm looking forward into the conversion etc.

Anyway, i have come across a Caldina ST215 froncut and i would like to know if the ecu wiring is notorious, as in worthless for a manual gearbox conversion. Reason is i ask is cos i heard that the ecu partly controls the highly sophisticated auto transmission, is that correct?

Cos if the ecu gets signals from the auto transmission, the ecu wont work well for a manual, as in it wont pickup its speed etc, so it wont adjust the ecu accordingly etc.

Obviously its presumed that the auto trans has its own ecu control box or something, and if its not wired to the ecu, thats good, but if it is, its a diff story.

Anyone know.

Edited by ST185

• 2 weeks later...

the 215 wiring is nothing like a 185. totally differenet concept and layout. yes, the ECU sends & recieves info from the auto.

the 5SFE box will bolt to any 3S family engine , however FE (S code box) & GTE (E code) gearbox splines are different so you have to custom make a clutch

i've done a few of these conversions and i can tell you the 5SFE box wont survive very long behind a 3SGTE

i have a 215 manual half cut if that helps. pm me if interested

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I have decided not to go the st215 route.

I either have to use a 5SFE gearbox with custom clutch or convert the 4wd gearbox to fwd, which i really dont want to do cos of its overall weight etc.

terryo has pm.

I removed the rear input shaft housing complete and this is what i see >

040520111533large.jpg

040520111534large.jpg

From what i can see, there is no shift forks or any other contraption that controls what is making contact with the rear gear head assembly. Have i successfully converted my gearbox so its fwd only now, cos i have removed the rear assembly gear head etc. can anyone clarify what i just did and what i see.

Now that i have removed the rear assembly, can this successfully be driven in fwd only now, cos from what i can understand, the diff will spin and it will only provide drive to the front wheels and not the back, cos the back gear head is gone etc.

BTW: that tube thingy at the bottom is just a pipe that injects oil to the gear head.

Edited by ST185

you can use that plate off the MR2 box as part of the 4WD conversion. you need to strip the 4WD box and remove the centre diff--thats totally differernt, or change it over to the MR2 one. the diff ratios may or may not be different, depending on exact model. you can interchange jsut the crwon wheel so if the diff ratio is different, you have to also swap the output shaft

I have a 2WD E code box available for sale. it will "bolt in" to a front drive conversion